Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,210,003 times

Advertisements

FROM THE POST

Floridians will have to start paying sales taxes sometime next year on anything they purchase through Internet retailer Amazon.com.

Gov. Rick Scott, who just a few weeks ago had rejected a deal with the Seattle-based company, announced Thursday that the company has now pledged to come to the state. The move will mean thousands of jobs and more than $300 million spent on new warehouses between now and 2016.
"Amazon's commitment to create more than 3,000 new jobs in Florida is further proof that we've turned our economy around," said Scott in a statement.

But Amazon's decision to finally bring warehouses to the state also means that the retailer will be required to start charging its Florida-based customers the state's 6 percent sales tax.
There was no firm timeline on when that would be in Scott's announcement. Scott's office said that Amazon would begin collecting state sales taxes from residents at the time it is required under state law.

Currently, Floridians are supposed to pay taxes for online purchases, but there's no way to enforce the law. The state can't force companies like Amazon to collect the tax unless it has a physical presence such as a warehouse or store.

Amazon is expected to construct two sets of two warehouses in Florida over the next 24 months, but the first pair of warehouses will likely be finished sometime next year. Thursday's announcement did not include any details on a likely site for the warehouses.

The governor, who has made job creation a top priority, said Thursday that Amazon would work with the state's economic development agency as it "chooses locations" for its warehouses. He left open the possibility that Amazon could wind up getting incentives from the state before it begins construction.
Amazon's decision to come to Florida isn't unexpected given the retailer's desire to put in a system to guarantee quicker delivery of products ordered online. The company has reached similar agreements regarding warehouses and payment of sales taxes in several other states.

The governor had previously said no to a deal to bring Amazon to the state. He had expressed concerns that signing off on such a deal would result in tax increases for Floridians.

"Based on the opportunity I had at the time, it didn't make sense," Scott said just last month during a stop at a Tampa manufacturing plant. "I haven't seen something I think is good for Florida taxpayers."
There was no clear indication what prompted Scott to change his mind. But the governor has been lobbied on the deal by high-profile lobbyists such as Brian Ballard. Ballard is a well-known fundraiser for Republicans in the state.

The state's legislative leaders — who have been pushed the last several years by the state's business groups to pass bills to force online merchants to collect sales taxes — praised Scott for reaching a deal with Amazon.

"Bringing Amazon to Florida will provide a tremendous boost to our economy," said House Speaker Will Weatherford, R-Wesley Chapel, in a statement.

The deal with Amazon comes at a time Congress has been debating whether to allow states to collect sales taxes on Internet purchases their residents make with out-of-state companies. The measure passed the U.S. Senate but it has encountered resistance in the U.S. House.

When Amazon representatives made their first pitch to Scott and legislative leaders back in early 2012 the proposal drew sharp opposition from retailers because it called for exempting the retailer from sales taxes for two years.

Some groups such as the Florida Retail Federation, however, dropped their opposition to the last proposal that had been floated a few months ago. A spokesman for the organization said the group could not comment on the final deal because they were unaware of the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,799,306 times
I thank Gov. Scott for allowing this to go thru, but just roll my eyes at the craziness of this gov't. I think the Governor finally realized that internet taxes are about to be a federal law, and with or without those jobs, the taxes will be brought upon us. I consider this a win for the state and hope it helps getting people back to work!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,633,475 times
It's great to see new jobs coming to florida. This happened in NJ also. It's funny that some people that were tax evaders are complaining that the company is now required to take the sales tax and forward it to the state.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,221,371 times
I buy most of my books on amazon, and am bummed to have to start paying sales tax, but I think it's inevitable, nationwide. I am surprised it hasn't become a federal law before now. It will soon enough, I bet.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM

597 posts, read 1,444,210 times
Do you know where they are moving to? I'd rather see the jobs come to Florida than worry about the taxes I have to pay. Amazon is still cheaper. Great job Gov Scott!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,520,932 times
Amazon Fires Minnesota Affiliates

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,910,644 times
Tangible purchases over the internet are ALREADY taxable in Florida vis a vis the USE TAX, along with other purchases like furniture, computers, mail order and more that you order from out of state in some instances. You're supposed to file and pay 6% use tax if you make qualifying purchases.

FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases

And you CAN get found out if you never file:

Uh-Oh Busted! Florida Department of Revenue is after me!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

217 posts, read 372,933 times
Before you start cheering on Gov. Scott , bear in mind that the vast majority of these jobs will be minimum wage, and take a look as some of these news stories regarding job conditions at Amazon fulfillment centers, where the hiring is not done by Amazon but by staffing companies:

Inside Amazon's Warehouse - Morning Call

Business & Technology | Workers complain about Amazon warehouse jobs | Seattle Times Newspaper

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave | Mother Jones

Business & Technology | Amazon warehouse jobs push workers to physical limit | Seattle Times Newspaper

Amazon unpacked - FT.com

And you know what else? In a relatively short period of time those jobs will be lost to robots:

Meet Amazon's army of little orange robots | DVICE

So keep on top of the story to see how many jobs actually are created—no one seems to have any clear idea of Amazon's plans. The move is being announced to help Scott prove he's closing in on his promise to create 700,000 jobs. Not.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM

729 posts, read 1,302,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Do you know where they are moving to? I'd rather see the jobs come to Florida than worry about the taxes I have to pay. Amazon is still cheaper. Great job Gov Scott!
An anonymous source claims that Amazon will build two cite along the I-4 corridor. Yes, Hillsborough and Polk counties are vying for the warehouses and jobs.

Quote:
BARTOW | Polk County commissioners will consider $4.5 million in property tax incentives today to lure an Amazon warehouse to Lakeland.

Multiple counties and cities in Florida are vying for the warehouses and their 3,000 jobs since Gov. Rick Scott announced a deal last month to bring the warehouses — and sales tax on Amazon purchases — to Florida. Read More...
Below are links from various media outlets generally relaying the same thing. I don't know what this means for the rest of the state but it appears that Central Florida will get a share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach