Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 11:04 AM

19 posts, read 33,750 times

Advertisements

Having lived in st.lucie west for 5 yrs.looks like its time to move on.after seeing all the constrction in tradition.i only see gridlock coming.looking st vero or sebastian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 11:14 AM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny60 View Post
Having lived in st.lucie west for 5 yrs.looks like its time to move on.after seeing all the constrction in tradition.i only see gridlock coming.looking st vero or sebastian
Only a matter of time here too. Fellsmere is still pretty rural though.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 33,750 times
It seems indian river county is a bit more concerned about over development than st.lucie.driving up to tradition i was amazed how much construction is going on.out of control.where are these people going to go.shopping,beaches,it will be insane.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:37 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
IRC seems to want to keep the "rural" character in place. A lot of the land undeveloped that borders the lagoon has been purchased by a conservation group. They also will not allow any new building over 50 feet in height. I didn't attend the last planing meeting presentation, but IRC officials seem to want any new development west of the I-95 corridor. It will be interesting to see if that happens. There are a lot empty former citrus groves that now have cattle on the land.

Also, there is very little inventory of homes for sale in VB or adjoining IRC. I have received phone calls from realtors wanting to know if I would consider an offer on my house since I purchased in late 2020. The realtor who sold me my home says there are not many houses available to show clients and she is looking for a second job. LOL

Old 04-22-2022, 09:52 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny60 View Post
It seems indian river county is a bit more concerned about over development than st.lucie.driving up to tradition i was amazed how much construction is going on.out of control.where are these people going to go.shopping,beaches,it will be insane.
Well, "a bit" is just that. A SMALL bit. The beach is a whole different issue too, they've been talking about being out of parking spots for years now with no resolution.

You can easily sit at the light for 20 minutes waiting to go left to get over the 17th bridge to the mainland at noon. Both bridges, too, have been under some EPIC non stop deterioration construction issues and likely to not stop any year soon LOL. So going to/living at the beach is another story altogether.

Mainland wise ...We have gridlock here, too now even off season. And construction.

You really can't compare the two counties. St. Lucie county is over twice the population of IRC. 688 sq miles.

IRC is 617 sq miles so yeah the density is way different. And better in IRC

People always come here and say "OH you haven't seen TRAFFIC till you live in Chicago (or where ever)"

Yeah, okay like I'm some rube and conflating the two.

This was a TOURIST BEACH TOWN but no longer.

Drive up/down Rt 1 from/to Ft. Pierce especially around 3 PM LOL.

It takes me a good 20 minutes at all times to go from Rt 1 to the mall which is around 8 miles depending on what lights I catch or what side streets I feel like using. THEN once you get there add on ten minutes to go through the lights and to where you're going and parking spot.

Sunday morning on IR Blvd you get no traffic but EVERY SINGLE LIGHT (weird timing) and it takes FOREVER to go north, say, to the hospital area or Grand Harbor. LOL so you learn to time your traveling.

Sunday mornings around here ARE dead - best time to go to Walmart is early as possible before 10 - I guess everyone is hung over/sleeping etc.

TL;DR Yeah, IRC is better. Pick your neighborhood carefully though so you can avoid frustrating traffic. It's also more expensive.

Best Publix to go to is Miracle Mile because they have self check out! Lousy "bakery" (they all are) but good produce. Winn Dixie just did that too.

I have found the best way to pick a neighborhood/area in Florida IS to go to the various Publix. You'll see who you'll be living "with".

Last edited by huitrecouture; 04-22-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-05-2022, 06:14 PM

44 posts, read 81,358 times
In PSL here is one reason why there is so much more building and expansion going on. Last Mayoral election our Mayor got over $100K in campaign contributions, much of it from builders, realtors, businesses. Other candidate got a total of $13K.
Just sayin.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:52 AM

30 posts, read 64,622 times
sebastian is a dump.. the town looks like a run down mess.. I would be ashamed to even bring visitors there. I looked at buying a place there about 6 months ago.. as soon as I saw what the town looked like I cancelled the showing and left.

Vero beach is much nicer looking.. it's a dead zone but that's what you're looking for so...

Any town that has a major highway running through it is going to have traffic

Last edited by FPSav; 12-06-2022 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-04-2023, 05:42 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
We considered Vero, but at that time there were electricity wars ongoing between the City of Vero & the Islanders. It was learned that the City council were fleecing the more affluent Islanders with higher rates than the mainlanders...turned me off big time. I didn't want to pay for those lawsuits.

Then, I learned 32 Briteline trains/day were going to pass through the center of town, & create traffic armegeddon. Has that kicked in yet?

I was also afraid of the airport growing out of control.

Planes, trains, & automobiles...oh my.

Otherwise, we loved it. Building height limits, & 32963 were alluring to us. Nice beaches, low density zoning, a few good restaurants on the island, the yacht club, & the bike/nature/jungle trail, are all very nice features.

We felt back then (5 years ago) they should be working on another bridge.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:36 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
We considered Vero, but at that time there were electricity wars ongoing between the City of Vero & the Islanders. It was learned that the City council were fleecing the more affluent Islanders with higher rates than the mainlanders...turned me off big time. I didn't want to pay for those lawsuits.

Then, I learned 32 Briteline trains/day were going to pass through the center of town, & create traffic armegeddon. Has that kicked in yet?

I was also afraid of the airport growing out of control.

Planes, trains, & automobiles...oh my.

Otherwise, we loved it. Building height limits, & 32963 were alluring to us. Nice beaches, low density zoning, a few good restaurants on the island, the yacht club, & the bike/nature/jungle trail, are all very nice features.

We felt back then (5 years ago) they should be working on another bridge.

I think the "fleecing" was the electrical rates? If that was your problem, it is gone since Vero Beach sold it electrical system to FPL. IRC just passed a bond referendum by a large margin to purchase undeveloped land to contain growth.

Brightline (not Briteline) is going to be a problem and it is a problem for every town/city from Cocoa to Miami. A high speed train this like has never been tried in the US; much less in a densely populated area. I hope Brightline will be forced to build a new line parallel to I-95. Regarding the airport, the last airline failed and a new one started on Thursday. The new airline is similar to Allegiant in that it is not a regularly scheduled airline. I was near the airport when it landed on Thursday and didn't hear it. The airport is mostly private jets like most smaller affluent Florida cities.

The home prices on 32963 have increased in five years. Per Realtor.com the medium listing price for a home on the island is $1.3 million. I did look at an investment home for $999,000 that was 1100 sq ft and needed to be torn down. One ocean front home sold for $18 million in 2022 and another one is currently on the market for $29.5 million The prices on the mainland have greatly increased and there is a shortage of affordable houses and apartments for middle income people.

FWIW; I moved to Vero over two years ago and love it. The medical service is much better than the North Carolina coastal town I left to move to VB. JMO.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 02-04-2023 at 06:51 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 08:55 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
There is a reason its called Port Saint Lousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach