Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 25,604 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this info is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. My family and I are considering a move to Southern Maine (working in Portland), thus needing to live w/in 30 minutes or so.

Long story short, the reasons are the same as some people out there…we have two small kids (4 ½ and 18 months old) and want to get somewhere quiet, peaceful, kid friendly, etc. We’d be moving from the hustle and bustle of busy Tampa, FL.

Here’s what we’re looking for: (1) good to excellent schools (daughter is currently in a Waldorf school and I know there’s one near Freeport, but am not sure how far away that is), (2) peaceful setting…quiet, etc. (other requirement is to be somewhat close to amenities, but being within a 30 minute drive of Portland should answer that), (3) safe, friendly town, (4) local farmer’s markets and CSAs where we can get good fresh food in the summers.

We lived in rural Vermont before Florida, so we’re not at all concerned about (1) the winters or (2) what rural life is like. It’s what we want and are willing to do to provide our kids with an opportunity to be just that, a kid…able to run and play and frolic as only they know how. Work also would not be a concern as I’d have that lined up ahead of time, just looking for a few good ideas.

From what I’ve gathered, Gorham and Yarmouth seem to answer most of the needs we have. What about the Bath/Freeport/Cumberland/Brunswick area? Or, even up by Sebago lake. Any other areas?

I really appreciate the insight and comments I’ve read thus far. We’re really looking forward to the possibility!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 PM

279 posts, read 702,932 times
Gorham definitely fits the bill. Its a little bit pricy in my opinion and the traffic situation can be ridiculous.
They have started the bypass that is going to be a "band-aid" for the situation.
Its a very nice place for kids, I have children the same ages. :-)

Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Default Brunswick?

Brunswick/Topsham area - 30 minutes north of Portland. Quiet community, college town, nice "Maine Street" downtown. Good public schools. Bike path, parks and rec dept is really good. Famers Market on Weds and Friday right downtown. Close to the coast.

Freeport-15 minutes north of Portland. Too busy with all of the outlet shoppers, year round not just seasonal shoppers. Traffic getting in and out of town is bad, not like Tampa but unbearable from a Mainers perspective. Waldorf school I believe is in Freeport, but I could be mistaken, if not it's close. Check out Yarmouth as well. It's just south of Freeport.

hope this helps!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

177 posts, read 108,147 times
You might also like Cumberland...between Portland and Freeport...beautiful little town with excellent schools, a farmer's market every Saturday, and home to the Cumberland fair every September. Good luck with your search!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 25,604 times
Smile gottagetoutofmaine

I have to ask, seeing your username, is there a particular reason you have to get out of ME?

Also, what is the Windham and Gray area like? Any info?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:20 PM

We are just ready for a change. We want to head to NC to give that a try. The winters are getting a bit old. We have always lived in Me, and my husband has been in the same house since his childhood.
Its really a great place to live.
Windham is growing and is nice, close to the Lakes. Lots of new shopping and restaurants.
There is not a whole lot going on in Gray at all.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 PM

276 posts, read 793,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofmaine View Post
We are just ready for a change. We want to head to NC to give that a try. The winters are getting a bit old. We have always lived in Me, and my husband has been in the same house since his childhood.
Its really a great place to live.
Windham is growing and is nice, close to the Lakes. Lots of new shopping and restaurants.
There is not a whole lot going on in Gray at all.
Depending upon where you are going in NC, I would think again. Some places are great, but others have a poor educational systems. Personally, the only place that I would live in NC is the western region (Asheville and west). The piedmont stinks and the coast is vulnerable to storms. Take my advice and do some good research.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 AM

Can you explain?? We are leaning towards the Raleigh area and have been doing lots of research. I don't think there is a perfect place to live. I don't want to live out in the woods, but I want a safe place to raise my family.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
you may want to check out the durham, gray, new gloucester, poland, areas also,,very nice communities , and the cost of real estate is considerably lower than other towns mentioned

Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM

145 posts, read 338,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Depending upon where you are going in NC, I would think again. Some places are great, but others have a poor educational systems. Personally, the only place that I would live in NC is the western region (Asheville and west). The piedmont stinks and the coast is vulnerable to storms. Take my advice and do some good research.
Hey , I've heard Cary, N.C. is nice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area