Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 PM

31 posts, read 276,791 times

Advertisements

Is it rare to see an interracial couple in Portland (a white man with a black woman)?

I'm a black woman from Savannah (by way of Chicago), and I'm curious about this.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 AM

39 posts, read 103,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post
Is it rare to see an interracial couple in Portland (a white man with a black woman)?

I'm a black woman from Savannah (by way of Chicago), and I'm curious about this.

Thanks.
i cannot really comment as I have been through Portland and not stopped there but seeing Portland is so close to Boston I doubt interracial couples are a rarity.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:43 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
My neighbors across the street are interracial. No one here seems to have any problems with it. They are wonderful people and I love them dearly.
I doubt you would have any problems in Portland.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:00 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Portland is progressive enough to where you would get the impression that it would not matter, and a lot of people probably wouldn't notice-or even care, but to answer your question; it is still Maine and it is still 98% white--a black woman with a white man would definitely be a vary rare sight.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:27 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
I've said this before but it bears repeating... A large proportion of Maine people have very little exposure to anyone other then whites. They are not so much uncomfortable around blacks and other races as they are unsure of themselves. They don't know how to act and react around them. Mainers don't keep up on the phraseology of a given race or the newest politically correct terms when talking about different races. Mainers in their 60's still call people of other races "colored", a term that went out in the 60's and is now considered offensive. These people don't mean any harm they just don't keep up with the trends. Why should they? There are no other races here! Blacks and other races coming to Maine may mistake Mainer's reluctance to open up to strangers as a form of racism when the reality of it is Maine people are slow to open up to everyone. Even the kids comments and name calling in school is an example of low exposure rather than hatred or malice. Kids pick on kids who look different. The fat kid gets picked on, the skinny kid gets picked on the freckled kid gets picked on...it may not be nice but it's been this way since time began. Eventually through good parenting or an involved teacher the big mnouth kids have the tide turned against them and generally shut up. Yes there is damage but you don't want kids to be insulated from everything.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I've said this before but it bears repeating... A large proportion of Maine people have very little exposure to anyone other then whites. They are not so much uncomfortable around blacks and other races as they are unsure of themselves. They don't know how to act and react around them. Mainers don't keep up on the phraseology of a given race or the newest politically correct terms when talking about different races. Mainers in their 60's still call people of other races "colored", a term that went out in the 60's and is now considered offensive. These people don't mean any harm they just don't keep up with the trends. Why should they? There are no other races here! Blacks and other races coming to Maine may mistake Mainer's reluctance to open up to strangers as a form of racism when the reality of it is Maine people are slow to open up to everyone. Even the kids comments and name calling in school is an example of low exposure rather than hatred or malice. Kids pick on kids who look different. The fat kid gets picked on, the skinny kid gets picked on the freckled kid gets picked on...it may not be nice but it's been this way since time began. Eventually through good parenting or an involved teacher the big mnouth kids have the tide turned against them and generally shut up. Yes there is damage but you don't want kids to be insulated from everything.
You are right, Maineah. My original post was deleted. We're an interracial family (white parents with black children). I am really sensitive to anything derogatory that is said to my kids. I know I can't insulate them from the world, but some of the things that have been said to them regarding their skin color are pretty bad. I was up all night crying from some stuff my seven-year-old son told me (he had been keeping it inside for a long time).

Old 04-20-2008, 10:00 AM

31 posts, read 276,791 times
I'm really sorry to hear this. Sounds like Maine has a long way to go, as does many other places.

Thanks for such wonderful feedback. My friend and I are planning a vacation to Portland, and we both date white guys...just don't want to cause any trouble for ourselves...or any one else.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
You are right, Maineah. My original post was deleted. We're an interracial family (white parents with black children). I am really sensitive to anything derogatory that is said to my kids. I know I can't insulate them from the world, but some of the things that have been said to them regarding their skin color are pretty bad. I was up all night crying from some stuff my seven-year-old son told me (he had been keeping it inside for a long time).
I don't like to use the word ignorant though it seems like it applies here. Kids are a product of their upbringing. If they hear that kind of talk in the home it's bound to trickle down to them at some level. My wife's friend has two black children. One is all grown up and the other is in elementary school. They have been exposed to some minor racial teasing in school but she said her experience with people being down right mean has been very low. The younger son is a bit clingy with his mom but this is more a personality trait than a problem not fitting in. Though there were few black kids in our school system my kids always seemed to befriend the African American students. They were always welcome here and two of my daughters friends are still very close to her even though they've gone their seperate ways... People are people in my opinion. We enjoyed all of the kids who hung around here when they were growing up.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:45 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post

We had lunch in Portland yesterday. The family at the table next to us were interracial, and the man was hardly the only non-white person in the restaurant.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "common," but it's far from "rare," and no one seems to make a big deal about it.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I don't like to use the word ignorant though it seems like it applies here. Kids are a product of their upbringing. If they hear that kind of talk in the home it's bound to trickle down to them at some level. My wife's friend has two black children. One is all grown up and the other is in elementary school. They have been exposed to some minor racial teasing in school but she said her experience with people being down right mean has been very low. The younger son is a bit clingy with his mom but this is more a personality trait than a problem not fitting in. Though there were few black kids in our school system my kids always seemed to befriend the African American students. They were always welcome here and two of my daughters friends are still very close to her even though they've gone their seperate ways... People are people in my opinion. We enjoyed all of the kids who hung around here when they were growing up.
My kids are generally treated very well here in Old Town as well as at school. I know kids will find anything to pick on (if it isn't skin color, they will always find something). The kids who said these things to them are not in the majority - I know there will always be bullies. It was the nature of the comments that felt like a punch in the gut.

I feel bad that I may have scared the original poster. As has been mentioned on this forum, Portland is a lovely and progressive city, and the reality is an interracial couple probably wouldn't be given a second glance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area