Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM

450 posts, read 462,141 times

Advertisements

Looking to move west. Check on things and noticed a real issue with public safety jobs. Seems like every year there are threats of cuts/reductions. It doesn't seem like they are overstaffed so what is the issue and where does the tax money go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 12:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Hanged if we know. We could use a fresh pair of eyes on this one actually. When did you say your were coming again?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM

151 posts, read 233,250 times
Money goes to paying pensions to public safety staff who retired 10 years ago and now live in Arizona.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPDXGuy View Post
Money goes to paying pensions to public safety staff who retired 10 years ago and now live in Arizona.
I can't really blame them for choosing to live in Arizona. Arizona has a cheaper COLA (especially for housing) and the state income tax is a lot lower. I'm not quite sure why anyone would have Oregon as their primary retirement residence unless all their income is Oregon source or they're so low income they don't pay taxes.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
You know... just saying... not everyone is poor when they retire. They can, and do, take other things into account when choosing a retirement destination than which one has the lowest tax bite. I don't know, AZ and FL have lower taxes than many places but... again, just saying... air-conditioners become REAL important to life when one lives in either of those places. How much do you think Tucson Electric Power or Florida Power and Light take off the average retiree over time? Unless I way miss my guess Oregon doesn't even come close.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 05-25-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You know... just saying... not everyone is poor when they retire. They can, and do, take other things into account when choosing a retirement destination than which one has the lowest tax bite. I don't know AZ and FL have lower taxes than many places but... again, just saying... air-conditioners become REAL important to life when one lives in either of those places. How much do you think Tucson Electric Power or Florida Power and Light take off the average retiree over time? Unless I way miss my guess Oregon doesn't even come close.
I was just going to write something similar to this. It's an Oregon CD forum thing that assumes everyone is in the same financial situation as themselves. That's an exaggeration but really, there are rich baby boomers retiring. OR is pretty affordable for a good amount of our US population. I have aunts that recently retired two years ago and their pensions are over 3k a month. They also have 100s of thousands of dollars invested in retirement funds as well as paid off homes. They could move to OR to retire and live very well. There are boomers out there retiring and OR is on their short list.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:17 PM

151 posts, read 233,250 times
Retirees also like our lack of a sales tax and the fact that property tax increases are so predictable. Good for those on fixed income.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Looking to move west. Check on things and noticed a real issue with public safety jobs. Seems like every year there are threats of cuts/reductions. It doesn't seem like they are overstaffed so what is the issue and where does the tax money go?
Most tax money goes to retirees and social programs. Then, to get money that they already had but misappropriated, they introduce new taxes and fees.

It's what we do.

Here in Potland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: