Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM

161 posts, read 411,125 times

Advertisements

After going on probably 5 interviews this week all over the city, Kaiser in (lower Clackamas) Sunnyside gave me the job offer. I thought that another organization in downtown Portland was going to give me the job offer, but they found another more qualified candidate at the last minute.

We were looking at living in the SE portion of town (we really like Hawthorne, Mt Tabor, and Woodstock neighborhoods) but am not sure of the commute. It would be great to live within walking or biking distance to work - however, I really wanted the inner Portland charm; those nice old craftsman style bungalows. Happy Valley seems to be all new developments or older ranch style houses. I have found a lot in my price range down here (up to $1400) but nothing that I have really liked.

Any insight on a happy medium, if it would be a possibility to commute, or another possible place to live? I'm still really new here and relying entirely on my TomTom GPS to help me navigate around, I havn't ventured much into the burbs and don't really know where to go.

Also, is renta-data.com worth a subscription? It seems they have a LOT of listings, but I also don't want to shell out a monthly sum to add to the expense of moving and staying in a hotel!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
I'd look around in close-in Milwaukie - there are some lovely older homes. But that's not walking or biking distance. Nothing much is unless you go for some of those new apartments out there. Being in Clackamas County will be cheaper than Multnomah. But in Multnomah County, slipping over the line into Sellwood or Eastmoreland sounds like it'd suit you. And not too long a commute.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM

478 posts, read 882,315 times
Enrico-

I am curious why you don't consider it biking distance- it's 3 to 4 miles from most of Milwaukie- not a long ride at all.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Probably more because of the roads than the distance. So many busy, wide roads, freeways, etc. and not a great alternative routes off of them.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks guys! We drove through Sellwood today and I LOVED it! I'll check out Milwaukie, too.

I would not want to bike if the road conditions were unsafe - definitely a nono if there wasn't at least a good shoulder or bike lane.

And that's so interesting that Clackamas county would be cheaper! Makes sense though - and I'm all for saving money!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM

159 posts, read 344,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
I would not want to bike if the road conditions were unsafe -
If you can ride your bike in the rain, then you'll be fine. That's the normal road condition.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,688 times
Would the Springwater Corridor be a bike commute option? On the map it looks like it connects to the trail along I-205 which would take you down to Kaiser Sunnyside.

The HR department at Kaiser might have some info on bike commuting. Also your future colleagues.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM

90 posts, read 141,508 times
Congrats on the job!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks guys

I'll definitely talk to Kaiser and ask them what they suggest, too. So far we're just filling out hiring paperwork, going over benefits and negotiating salary so I don't have an opportunity to talk much with them.

And now I can start looking for a house, now that I have proof of income! YAY! This hotel is getting old.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Once you have worked for a year or so you can apply for other openings. They will have a new hospital in Hillsboro, I think close to NW 185th & the Sunset Highway. In addition they have numerous clinics in the area. Were I in your situation I would rent for a year or so until I scoped out my options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland