Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,092 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I'm 26 and have been ready to leave California for a while now and I'm feeling pulled to Portland. A little background: I was born in New Jersey (moved at 10), grew up in Indiana (12 yrs there), spent some time in San Diego County, then lived in a couple towns in Orange County. I ended up in Orange County because of my sister and it's never really been a good fit for me but I did go to school here and have been successful in my career. I am currently a massage therapist and also work doing in home care for elderly. I wouldn't call myself a "hippie" but many people in Orange County would refer to me as one.

I understand that the job market is tough everywhere but I also have a background in Accounting that I could go back to if massage therapy or the caregiving doesn't work out. I'm also planning on going back to school at some point in the future.

I would love to live somewhere that I can bike around (tried it in OC and it hasn't worked out as planned so far). I do prefer to live in liberal, "hippie" type vibe areas. Close to a farmers market and individually owned stores would be great. I also have a small dog who likes walks. And being close to hiking and nature is great.

I have been advised to stay away from the west side of Portland. But if anyone could give a little clearer advice, maybe some names of specific areas. I'm also open to living a bit outside of Portland if I can find a nice community vibe.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,545,181 times
Hawthorne, Alberta, Mississippi areas are on the east side and very artsy and unique. Farther out, hippieish Multnomah Village feels something like Brattleboro, Vermont. It's a lovely city! Of course, you are probably going to have more veteran posters chime in - I have not been here very long.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:47 AM

10 posts, read 18,481 times
I grew up in Portland and lived all over the city- My fav area was a small little neighborhood called Hillsdale by Sunset High school. It has a MCMENAMINS (you will learn this and love it- have a Ruby Ale) and there is a cool walk/bike trail leading all the way downtown ( I cannot remember the road name- Somebody help me but the Chart house restaurant is on this rd.) Also if you hop on the Tri-Met bus it takes 15 min to get downtown. Its quiet- safe- and cheaper than Hawthorne and Belmont areas (those are also very cool areas though) -

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 AM

81 posts, read 189,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttybrewnette View Post
I would love to live somewhere that I can bike around (tried it in OC and it hasn't worked out as planned so far). I do prefer to live in liberal, "hippie" type vibe areas. Close to a farmers market and individually owned stores would be great. I also have a small dog who likes walks. And being close to hiking and nature is great.

I have been advised to stay away from the west side of Portland. But if anyone could give a little clearer advice, maybe some names of specific areas. I'm also open to living a bit outside of Portland if I can find a nice community vibe.
I know what you're going through, being ex Cali resident myself. Even driving a car, you sometimes doubt that you'd be safe like road rage and people doing too many things beyond their already weak driving skill-set ie. eating and talking on the cell phone while driving in congested traffic. I've even seen some people try do some reading with the book on the steering wheel. Then there's lack of bicycle lanes. So any thought of bicycling wouldn't really work unless you're doing it in a park or on the beach. I'd think you'll like it here. Recently I've been pointed to a great resource about Portland metro supporting bicycle mode of transportation. You can see it online at porltandonline.com. There's several projects in the work to make some of the streets more safe for bicycles and pedestrians by giving them the priority. IIRC, it's called the 50s bicycle.

The only farmers market that I've found is located within downtown by PSU/PDX. Just out of curiosity, what were you told of about the west side of Portland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobandJen View Post
I grew up in Portland and lived all over the city- My fav area was a small little neighborhood called Hillsdale by Sunset High school. It has a MCMENAMINS (you will learn this and love it- have a Ruby Ale) and there is a cool walk/bike trail leading all the way downtown ( I cannot remember the road name- Somebody help me but the Chart house restaurant is on this rd.) Also if you hop on the Tri-Met bus it takes 15 min to get downtown. Its quiet- safe- and cheaper than Hawthorne and Belmont areas (those are also very cool areas though) -
Is that along the Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy just south of OHSU?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,157,398 times
There are farmers markets all over the city. A good guide to them can be found at the Oregon Farmer's Market Association website.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:30 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobandJen View Post
That would be Terwilliger. I agree about the Hillsdale neighborhood. Not as "hippie-ish as Hawthorne and others mentioned, but close to downtown, lots of locally owned shops AND a really good farmer's market. And yes, there are farmer's markets all over the city.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Hillsdale is great; adjacent Multnomah VIllage is much more "hippie-ish" though, with the Down to Earth cafe with all of those vegetarian items... Hillsdale commercial area is more strip mall. Great bakery though, Baker & Spice!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,092 times
Sorry, I'm new to these postings so I'm not quite sure how to quote but in response to the question of why I was told to avoid the west side:
I was told that the west side is where the yuppies live. I currently live very close to Newport Beach and I'm not a fan. I was imagining that this person considered the west side to be a similar vibe and knows that is something I want to get away from.

You are also right on with the California driving and bikes. I was so excited to get my bike because realistically it seemed like I should be able to bike to all my jobs. But, since my one job ends at 8pm and it's dark I've never felt safe enough to ride home that late because of the careless driving and not one bike lane on the multiple streets I could take to get to my house.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I will definitely be doing some extra research on the sites everyone provided!

Last edited by nuttybrewnette; 11-17-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,452,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttybrewnette View Post
I was told that the west side is where the yuppies live. I currently live very close to Newport Beach and I'm not a fan. I was imagining that this person considered the west side to be a similar vibe and knows that is something I want to get away from.
Sort of. But that's massively over generalizing. Granted west side is mostly suburbs, strips malls, parking lots, mass manufactured houses that all look the same.

But there are also easy access to farms, farmers markets, mass transportation, easy access to the coast, easy access to downtown. Good dining options, in many cases better shopping then downtown with less crowds, great book stores, etc.

Not to mention cheaper housing and apartments.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM

Multnomah Village is west and is awfully cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland