Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 19,588 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering the best route to drive from Portland to Austin, TX in late December. Google maps suggests a couple different routes:

1. 84E-->Boise-->SLC-->Albuquerque-->Austin

2. 84E-->Boise-->SLC-->Denver-->Austin

I am concerned about snow chains. I'm unsure of where the mountain passes actually are (I've tried to research it, maybe I just have crummy google searches!). I'm unsure of how snow chains actually work.

I did grow up in New England, and I have driven in ice and snow. However, my car is a light sedan with front wheel drive-which is not ideal for bad weather.

Any information on the snow chains, possible routes to take (IE how to be in good weather ASAP), or sites to get information on the road conditions/mountain passes would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Personally I'd go through Phoenix and LA then up I-5 in the Winter. The only place you'll need to worry about that way is around Mt Shasta area. According to Google Maps it's only about 100 miles longer.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
I second the LA route. There's a lot of mountains on the other route.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,698 times
If you take the I-84 route, you have the gorge to contend with (unpredictable during the winter), then the Blues in Eastern Oregon, which are often foggy, slow, and slick. It's not uncommon for the freeway to close at Baker City during snowstorms. Once you get into Idaho it's fairly flat, but very windy, which makes it harder for light cars and snowstorms. There aren't a lot of mountains until you get into northern Utah, but they typically salt the roads and keep the snow clear through Idaho and Utah. If you're used to driving in the snow, I-15 south shouldn't be too bad. You'll have to go through another pass in northern Arizona, but I haven't driven that enough in the winter to really have a good sense of the weather/road conditions. You could ask in the UT/AZ forums.

Ultimately, I would also suggest the going the I-5 south route. You should always have snow chains when driving through mountain passes, whether northern California or the Rockies. At best you won't have to use them, and at worst you'll be able to get through slick conditions. Also carry some warm blankets, extra water, and extra food just in case.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Awesome suggestion, guys! I never thought to take the I-5S route. But it does make more sense. Is traffic truly terrible for Cali? I would be going during Christmas time (leaving Portland on the 22nd).

Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,855 times
I usually plan my treks through major metro areas for off peak or midnight travel. I-5 is not bad through So-Cal, you will skirt Los Angeles to the east. Once you get to 1-10 its not too bad.

We usually gas up in Las Cruces, New Mexico and again in Fort Stockton avoiding a stop in El Paso, Tx. Evening travel on 1-10 in deer season can be unnerving just keep them in mind as you go.

There are a few In and Out burgers along this route as well. We will always stop for one.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Squidlo, awesome idea about driving at night/not rush hour. I appreciate all of this! Yeah, my car gets great gas mileage (34/gallon), so I am hoping I can plan not to get stuck without any gas stations. (I've never been to Cali, or the SW at all, so I have no idea what to expect.)

Is El Paso, TX a bad place to stop for gas cause of prices? I am confused. But thanks for the advice for Las Cruces, NM and Fort Stockton. Or does it usually just pan out that it's easier at these stop points.

Deer in the road are okay. I am more used to looking for deer and moose coming from New England. I've been really lucky with avoiding moose in VT and ME so far in my life!

Also, any beach suggestions in Cali? I was thinking a zero day on the beach would be fantastic considering I am moving to a place with no mountains and ocean. (I know, this one is a long shot. Haha.)

Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
I know people who swear by the drive at night thing. It works if you are naturally a night person. If you are not, drive when you feel at your best. You don't have to become nocturnal to avoid traffic, a few hours off peak will do wonders. Besides, most interstates on the o.p.'s route are not passing through major business hubs and the traffic that will be seen, even in the height of rush hour should be manageable. Chains will not help you climb a mountain pass! When the grade gets beyond 6% and there is deep snow, stop! Any kind of snow or ice and elevation changes is a bad, bad idea. I usually think Google directions are pretty good. There has to be a good reason the suggestions keep sending the o.p. east first but I don't know what it is. Really the thing to do is monitor the weather and make a break for it when clear weather is predicted. It doesn't snow and/or rain every day. The south first route sounds good for being able to get to decent weather early in the trip.

H

Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,855 times
Default El Paso at night ....

We just avoid El Paso all together. There are just some rough spots and we dont know that town. Our experience there was less than wonderful. By contrast Las Cruces and Fort Stockton have fuel close to the highway no issues 24 hours a day.

I usually start out in the wee hours of the morning driving in the dark. I have left at 9pm to time out an arrival somewhere. I tend to pull long drives, hence the tight schedule through areas. Night driving is not for every one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland