Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 11,453 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

So much useful information in these forums.

My husband and I are hoping to move to Portland in the near future and I wondered if there were any reputable headhunting firms or recruitment firms that operate there?

I've been searching Monster for openings in my field (executive assistant currently working in venture capital & private equity) and haven't seen anything even remotely related.

Just wondering if there were some job-seeking resources that only the locals know about.

We don't bite, I swear!

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Yes, I wrote up such a list a couple of years go while I was looking for myself.

You can find the complete list here, but I'd recommend Accountemps, Kelly Services (keep on them every two weeks though,) and K-Force. I do not have any experience with any of the other companies.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Since you are working for a VC now I recommend you start to network their Portland counterparts. As you doubtless know admin assistant jobs in that industry are the result of networking.

Without knowing the culture of your firm I don't know if it is appropriate to confide in your CFO that you desire to move to Portland. VC/Private Equity CFOs have a professional association. Your CFO may be willing to give you a few names up here to contact. CFOs on Sand Hill Road talk to one another so do not assume that a comment you make to someone up the street won't get back to your office. Also, the CFO may feel obligated to share with the partner(s) you serve.

Oh, need I say that you probably won't be able to find the same salary here.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-03-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Thank you, hamellr and Nell.

I'm aware that salary will be a bit less. This is the combination of wanting a better quality of life for my husband and I (LA, the culture, the commute, and the crime are making us insane) and the fact that my position here may be winding down.

To break it down: I was brought in a little over a year ago to support two very busy Managing Directors who have since left the firm. I've been kept on, graciously, and they've given me a new executive to support, however my workload is waning and I crave the stimulation that comes from being busy and having multiple execs relying on assistance. The firm is not expanding and there's little possibility of growth.

My husband is self-employed and works from home and so we're not tethered to LA. I'm a Canadian who recently immigrated to the US to be with my American husband and I'm craving a smaller but still metropolitan city, with good public transportation, little crime and affordable living. I spent a great deal of time in Vancouver, (BC, not WA,) and I think Portland would be right up our alley.

I have excellent references and could ask one of the MDs I used to support for a leg up, but I wanted to see what was available in general prior to starting networking; I hate calling in favours when they're not absolutely necessary.

Many thanks

Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Telling someone you trust that you are looking and asking them to keep their ears open isn't calling in a favor. With your circumstances putting out the word shouldn't be an issue. Your current CFO may assist you under the circumstances.

There are more VCs in Seattle than Portland, you shouldn't limit your search to Oregon.

What you need to find is an executive headhunter well connected in Portland and Seattle. Unfortunately I don't know any.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Yes, I wrote up such a list a couple of years go while I was looking for myself.

You can find the complete list here, but I'd recommend Accountemps, Kelly Services (keep on them every two weeks though,) and K-Force. I do not have any experience with any of the other companies.
I did well with Aerotek recently--as they got me a good job with BPA(Bonneville Power Administration).

For the month I worked at Intel as a contractor before leaving for another job everyone seemed to be going through Kelly Services.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM

308 posts, read 897,293 times
do you currently work with a recruiter from your area? get in contact with them, tell them that you are hoping to relocate to Portland and ask if they have any contacts in PDX... more often than not, they would.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Thank you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland