Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

I was also floored by the comment that Gresham is ghetto. Really? There may be more farm workers there, but it's a pretty white, middle class community, with maybe more obvious poor people than you see in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
I was also floored by the comment that Gresham is ghetto. Really?

Haven't you ever heard that old joke:

You know why Portlanders go to garage sales in Gresham?
To get their stuff back!

Honestly, just like anywhere else, there are good parts and bad parts.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Perhaps this will help the OP. Apparently crime is actually lower in Gresham than in comparison to 2009.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:21 AM..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 AM

24 posts, read 165,212 times
Thanks again for all the input...I didn't mean to "push any buttons" with my question!

Super helpful...we are still considering options...

Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli2 View Post
Thanks again for all the input...I didn't mean to "push any buttons" with my question!

Super helpful...we are still considering options...
No worries. You will find people here just love to debate. Even people who are not here.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM

73 posts, read 183,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Oregon domestic partnerships are only available to same sex couples. Your insurance company may have different rules but it's up to them.
Oregon domestic partnerships are not just for same sex couples. My long-term boyfriend and I looked into domestic partnership, and it's definitely available for hetero or same sex couples in Multnomah County.

Not all Oregon employers offer insurance that covers unmarried couples, same sex or otherwise. My partner's employer based insurance will not cover me even if we were registered domestic partners. The only circumstance under which I could be covered with his insurance is if we were married.

Last edited by carpenterant; 08-09-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
Oregon domestic partnerships are just for same sex couples. Multnomah County offers a county domestic partnership for different sex couples. You don't have to be a resident of Multnomah County but you do have to be a resident of Oregon. I really don't know what the Multnomah County registration gets you though other than a certificate and the joy of giving the county some money.

In Oregon, if your company offers spousal insurance, it has to offer partner insurance. But, I don't know if a county partnership will count since it's not a state partnership.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 PM

The subject of health insurance for opposite sex partners has really gotten me interested. I do know as mentioned I worked for health insurance companies that paid for health insurance for the State of Oregon and the City of Portland. But by no means did all of our employers do so.

The closest I could come to anything mentioning anything about required employer paid health coverage for non married partners was one that stated as of 2009 all employers with the exception of those that are self insured and do not fall under insurance regulations must cover same-sex partners. Opposite sex partners are not included in this. However, if the employer chooses to do so, it is legal and he can. So this goes back to if you are applying for a job and are in this situation, ask if the health insurance plan will cover your opposite sex partner. Because it may not. It isn't mandatory. The idea behind it apparently is that while opposite sex partners can get married and therefore can be covered legally, same sex partners cannot. At least not in most states and not in Oregon.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM

73 posts, read 183,534 times
Yes, I think I was mistaking Oregon domestic partnership for Multnomah County domestic partnership. And yeah, county domestic partnership didn't seem to offer much benefit beyond a piece of paper.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Personally, if I were afraid of gangs and/or the potential for gang violence near me, there are a ton of places that are 100% gang free and safe that I could consider. Many of them have better weather to boot. Just saying.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland