Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 34,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Portland from the East Coast next spring and I'm wondering how the job market is for RN's there?

Also- are people fairly friendly in Portland? We're both Southern and I'm used to being able to strike up conversations with random people. I know there are some areas of the country where this would make people give me funny looks but we'd like to be able to meet other couples in our age range (early 30's).

Oh, and how is the running scene around Portland? Are there running clubs? I'm just a 5K-er right now but would like to find people to run half-marathons with.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Just a tiny example of Portland running clubs there are tons. And there is the famous Hood to Coast every year.

Running Meetups near Portland, Oregon - Running Meetups - Portland

Portland is not Southern friendly. This is what the Southern transplants I have known tell me. It isn't welcome wagon friendly, it takes a bit of time for people to warm up to new people but being in a club with people with like interests is going to help you a great deal.

Regarding the job market for RN's it seems to fluctate. I would suggest you contact the major hospitals and clinics and see what is going on there. Just a couple of years ago, there were some major layoffs from most of the hospitals and clinics but from what I understand, there are some hirings going on now. Our largest medical facility OHSU is probably the place to start.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
No problem finding a job for an experienced RN.

People are friendly enough but more reserved than you may be used to. If someone does't want to talk, they will let you know by not responding well. Ignore them, and try somebody else.

Oregon is track country. Nike is headquartered in Portland. You won't have any trouble finding people to run with. You can do the Mountains to the Sea run every year from Mt. Hood to the coast, which is great fun because a lot of it is downhill.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Minervah and I agree on almost everything.

Culturally Portland is very different than the south, people tend to be reticent unless they know you have a common interest. Politics, religion are regarded as private matters. The best way to develop social relationships is to get involved in activities you value... then you will be invited to participate in so many projects you will need to learn to say no.

Kaiser, Providence, Legacy .. and OHSU, are major health care professional employers. They all have internet access to employment opportunities.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atripp223 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Portland from the East Coast next spring and I'm wondering how the job market is for RN's there?
I think the market for experienced RN's is very strong.

Quote:
Also- are people fairly friendly in Portland? We're both Southern and I'm used to being able to strike up conversations with random people. I know there are some areas of the country where this would make people give me funny looks but we'd like to be able to meet other couples in our age range (early 30's).
I lived in the south for 4 years (Memphis) and I think it's a bit different here. Overall the people of Portland are very friendly but the pace of life is faster and people won't give you as much of their time as they do in the south. Also, people in the south will talk friendly about anything- sports, religion, politics, weather, food... It is a mater of fact that we are a deeply liberal city and people can get hostile real fast bringing up religion or politics.

Quote:
Oh, and how is the running scene around Portland? Are there running clubs? I'm just a 5K-er right now but would like to find people to run half-marathons with. Thanks
Despite the rain, this is runners paradise. Hey, we're the home of Nike!!

Oh yeah, please try and learn to be an Oregon Duck fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: