Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,882 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I had "Mold Reporters" out yesterday, and, sure enough, we have mold everywhere. It is in our attic, crawlspace, and the ceiling in our den. They recommended remediation. My ten year old son was diagnosed with ADD, (not ADHD... he is not hyperactive), but through research I found that allergies can cause the same symptoms, (memory issues and inabiliy to focus). I took my son to an allergist who confirmed this and found that my son has severe sinunitis, making it very hard to breath through his nose, (especially at night). The allergist noted the dark circles under my sons eyes, and told me that if the body goes without quality sleep for long periods of time, it will cause irritability, memory issues, and inability to focus!!! I am hopeful that once the mold is remediated, many of my son's symptoms will disappear. I have been ill off and on, too. I have had terrible migraines, chest infections, fatigue, memory and focus issues, and my asthma is much worse. Does anyone have any input or advice on any aspect of mold and remediation, ADD/ADHD symptoms caused by allergies, or sickness caused by the mold? Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,369,192 times
Don't count on a remedy. We had five kinds of mold. We got rid of them, but the spores are still in the air after two years. You get over it or you move. We have developed antibodies.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM

919 posts, read 1,785,138 times
Have you looked into food allergies? Not to say that mold doesn't have serious effects, but I had much the same symptoms as your son, and I found out that I had allergies to many wheat products. And if they were mixed with white sugar, such as cakes, donuts, that sort of stuff, they went off the charts. Just a heads up that it may be more than one issue that is involved.....

Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM

192 posts, read 455,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Don't count on a remedy. We had five kinds of mold. We got rid of them, but the spores are still in the air after two years. You get over it or you move. We have developed antibodies.
Developing antibodies is the mechanism of allergy. Specific antibodies recognize the allergen and trigger the allergic reaction.

If you no longer have allergic reactions to mold(but had before) you have developed tolerance.

Allergies of any kind can compound to life threatening situation, especially when asthma is involved. Not everyone can "get over it." Immunotherapy may help someone develop tolerance.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,463,127 times
Mold Remediation in Portland, OR on Yahoo! Local

Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,369,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilighter View Post
Developing antibodies is the mechanism of allergy. Specific antibodies recognize the allergen and trigger the allergic reaction.

If you no longer have allergic reactions to mold(but had before) you have developed tolerance.

Allergies of any kind can compound to life threatening situation, especially when asthma is involved. Not everyone can "get over it." Immunotherapy may help someone develop tolerance.

We developed antibodies, just as I stated. Medication helps.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,997,230 times
Wink Architecture of mold

Mold remediation can be expensive as it can entail such as removal of interior walls in order to reach and eradicate the mold. Often with disposal of affected material.

A properly designed and constructed residence should not experience mold. So no more than treatment of that existing would only provide a short-term remedy; unless the fundamentals are changed, it will return. Consider the animal and what it likes: humidity, moisture and warmth. All the things a poorly constructed home in a conducive climate will provide. Eliminate its favored environment and it will have to look elsewhere for a cozy home.

That, again, could be expensive. But if doing anything, then go as far as making the changes (as in a tightly sealed, well ventilated interior, with no outside water ingress) to insure it cannot return. Otherwise, put the remediation company on permanent retainer.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,608,681 times
What Idunn said.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,882 times
Thank you all for the input! Yes, I know there is going to be a lot involved with this situation. I am concerned that all the remediation and activity will cause our symptoms to become worse! Does anyone have experience with a good remediation company? Also, the Mold Reporters recommended a good air purifier, but oh, are they ever expensive! (For the more high end, "better" ones, anyway) Any recommendations?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,997,230 times
Wink Holmes knows

For a good primer on some of the construction aspects involved, check out the program Holmes on Homes. There are episodes more specifically covering mold, which I have not readily located (and as well in the sister program, Holmes Inspection.), but the following will do to begin. The provided link will not immediately return the appropriate episode, so scroll over and select "Toxic Bathroom Troubles." Aside from mold, also touched upon with Mike Holmes why even new construction, and supposed warranties, can be problematic:

HGTV Holmes on Homes - Episodes : Home & Garden Television

Some air purifier, whatever it costs, is hardly going to answer; if the mold serious enough that thing is hardly going to keep up. More like a band-aid on a festering problem.

If the mold present anything but minor those removing it should be wearing face masks if not respirators. At that stage all residents should decamp elsewhere until remediation is complete.

The final solution is to thoroughly remove all mold and severely affected material. Stop any water ingress from outside, as well prevent humid interior air from any longer permeating walls. All well sealed. Then good ventilation. Central heating systems are well suited to this. If not already present, Hepa filters can be installed within the system (acting as truly effective air purification). Something else that will also help and save energy costs would be use of a whole house air exchanger. This again would be installed within the central heating system. The idea is to use heated interior air to preheat colder outside air as it is introduced, and extract as much heat as possible from exhausted interior air. The best way to provide continuous circulation of fresh air within a house without exorbitant heating costs.

Unfortunately doing this right is not always inexpensive or easy. But the final results can be solid and quite livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland