Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,671 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am currently homeless and in my 20's, unemployed, and without a car and LGBT and have been for several months. I am also a college grad (business) who's been unable to find any work in the last year (Wal-Mart, Tacobell, Mcdonalds, Wendys, Target won't even interview me). I tried to join the military but they told me I can't join because of medical problems. I can't afford to see a doctor or get anything fixed. I haven't been able to pay my student loans and my credit is trashed. I am currently wandering in an area where its required to have a car, its dangerous and cold and people seem to think anyone who's LGBT is the spawn of Satan. I've been reading a couple of threads where people say that its hard to find work in Portland. I am all ready homeless so, theres that. As someone who's LGBT and living in this place, its hell on earth. I can't be myself without constant death threats. I hear Portland is better in that aspect. I can get a ride to downtown Portland and im considering it. I know the city all ready has a homeless problem. I am probably going to go regardless of what you guys say.

Do you think it would be possible to get back on my feet if I go to Portland? I don't have any family I can turn to. I am thinking the public transportation will be better then living in a car dependent place. I'm pretty much in a bad place right now and I've found theres no safety net here and no one cares. I feel like i'm on the edge of death anyway, so taking this risk of a different place doesn't make any difference to me.

What advice do you have for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,582,254 times
Find a job, any job, in the community where you are currently living. Goodwill Industries is even an option. Once you are emotionally stable then consider a move.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM

192 posts, read 454,914 times
On the slim chance this post is legit:

Perhaps you should check out this post from another forum regular.

Are you aware that if you truly have little or no income you can get medical benefits from your state? This would include treatment for your depression.

If you made it to college you probably had family support at one time...what happened to change that?

Portland probably cares less about being LGBT than many other places, but your ability to get back on your feet depends more upon your persevering and in your reaching out for help from any and all agencies available. Have you done this where you live now?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
I'm not sure that a single person with little or no income can get medical benefits from their state.

You may or may not be legit, but I think that anyone in your position is going to need more assistance than you're going to find on this forum.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 PM

135 posts, read 222,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelesscollegegrad View Post
Hi,
I am currently homeless and in my 20's, unemployed, and without a car and LGBT and have been for several months. I am also a college grad (business) who's been unable to find any work in the last year (Wal-Mart, Tacobell, Mcdonalds, Wendys, Target won't even interview me). I tried to join the military but they told me I can't join because of medical problems. I can't afford to see a doctor or get anything fixed. I haven't been able to pay my student loans and my credit is trashed. I am currently wandering in an area where its required to have a car, its dangerous and cold and people seem to think anyone who's LGBT is the spawn of Satan. I've been reading a couple of threads where people say that its hard to find work in Portland. I am all ready homeless so, theres that. As someone who's LGBT and living in this place, its hell on earth. I can't be myself without constant death threats. I hear Portland is better in that aspect. I can get a ride to downtown Portland and im considering it. I know the city all ready has a homeless problem. I am probably going to go regardless of what you guys say.

Do you think it would be possible to get back on my feet if I go to Portland? I don't have any family I can turn to. I am thinking the public transportation will be better then living in a car dependent place. I'm pretty much in a bad place right now and I've found theres no safety net here and no one cares. I feel like i'm on the edge of death anyway, so taking this risk of a different place doesn't make any difference to me.

What advice do you have for me?
The so-called regulars on this board will ALWAYS tell you never to come, especially if your poor and homeless.. However, if your ALREADY homeless and jobless, and have no potential in the area your already in, and no support, it doesn't really matter does it? Better to suffer in a more pleasant place then where you're probably at! If your already homeless and learning to deal with it, then it doesn't really matter, you can go where you wish, just try to find a place with good weather(NOT HOT) and lots of services that can help you.. From all the reading and research I've done, Portland can serve those needs... SO don't listen to people telling you not to come, they tell that to all the homeless poor people, if you want to head out, I say do it.. I surely am..

Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,244,566 times
Zoom Care provides free medical assistance the second Wednesday of every month.

Sorry, that's all I have for you.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
LGBT is not a problem in Portland. Heavy competition for the jobs you describe is. Many people who have college degrees are also competing for these jobs along with retirees and others who have been laid off. So if you are seriously looking for work, it will be difficult.

The state provides very little in the way of medical assistance but there may be a few things here and there. I was in that boat when I was out of work but as another poster suggested, there are some free clinics. Zoom Care is really good. I have used them and they will refer you if they can't help you and get you started with a hospital that may be able to help with medical care through private funding. Shelter is a another matter. I think I remember reading about a new women's shelter recently opening up but I am sorry I cannot remember the name. Maybe you could Google women's shelters in Portland and come up with something.

Another idea would be to Google LGBT groups and ask if they could be of any assistance. I think that would be a good way to go.

It isn't that I would not advise you to come to Portland, but you should be aware of what may lie ahead so you could deal with it. On the whole, Portland may not be the best place to be simply because of the competition for limited resources but it all depends upon how hard you are willing to work for them.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 PM

63 posts, read 80,902 times
I'm fairly sure we do have the only LGBT Center between SF and Vancouver.... maybe you could contact them and ask for advice?
Q Center | LGBTQ Community Center

Old 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM

127 posts, read 306,839 times
Go to a shelter, find a liberal church, a used bicycle, and a multi-level marketing community, in that order. Join Amway, Primerica, Advocare, Vector, whatever you enjoy. Seminars can cheer you up.

As a business degree holder, you do realize the necessity of self-brainwashing for the sole purpose of improving a situation, sell stuff and get the ball rolling. Even drug dealers are like that. Life is a lot like swimming, you swim long enough, you don't think about it anymore, it gets easy and you start playing water games and waterslides. It feels like nobody is out there to roll for you because they themselves can't roll worth **** to begin with. You're not surrounded by 'leaders' who want to improve anything.

A LOT of GLBT are involved in MLM entrepreneur operations. I'm not a fan of MLM, I used them to get hard sales experience during college and some spending cash. Typical income is $2000-3000/year for slackers, $10-20,000 for hard workers, rising up from there depending on your network. That's when I quit, got a job and moved on. So, it's not a sales pitch, just a quick fix so you can move on. Good luck!

Empower Network | Building a business while having a life. GLBT MLM community

Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,347,442 times
Great day for fishing. Now if I can just find my hook, line, and sinker .......................

You guys act like you really can't see what is going on here or who the poster is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: