Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM

121 posts, read 162,792 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have made our reservations for our week long trip coming up in about a month. We are staying at the Inn at Northrup. It looks like a fun place.

Portland Hotels - Inn at Northrup Station Hotel

Has anyone ever stayed there or have any feedback on the place?

From my research, it looks like a nice area with plenty of places to eat nearby and not too far from downtown. Hopefully I did ok

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You did fine. One of the hidden jewels for those who want a box lunch is the Lovejoy Grocery on NW 23rd between Northrup and Lovejoy. They make wonderful sandwiches to order.

Leave the car parked, buy an all day Trimet ticket. Bus #15 runs on 23rd street. Take it north and get off at Thurman (the streets are in alphabetical order in this section of town) and to Saint Honore Bakery for coffee and the best pastries in town. Then go back to NW 23rd and use the bus stop to the south to go back to town. You could hop the street car to go to the city center or stay on the bus if you want to go to the Zoo or Japanese Garden. To do the latter get off at the stadium and catch the TriMet: 83-Washington Park Loop at the same bus shelter.

If you want to take the OHSU Tram catch the streetcar that runs by your motel, it's end stop is the tram.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
I think that is over in Slabtown. Watch where you park.

I will say for $200 a night you could of had a better location. But it is safe enough and somewhat near things.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think that is over in Slabtown. Watch where you park.

I will say for $200 a night you could of had a better location. But it is safe enough and somewhat near things.
Where would you have suggested in this price range? Of course, I would like to have it a little less if there is a better option . If there is something that might work better for us, I am definitely interested.

We wanted to be close to downtown but not have to pay for parking. We also need something a little larger since we are a family of 4 and I will need a place to do some work while there.

Our plan is to check out the west side and southwest side of Portland. We will be looking at schools as well some work options for husband. Most of the hotels that I was finding didn't quite seem to fit our needs but I certainly didn't see all of them.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I've stayed there twice, both times when I was doing consult appts at Legacy Emmanuel, right across the street. I prefer hotels with kitchens or kitchenettes, as I don't like to eat all my meals out, and this hotel has an adequate kitchenette in, I think, only the suite rooms.

Parking at Northrup Station is free - but there aren't enough parking places for the entire hotel, so sometimes you have to hunt on the street. It is right on a trolley stop, very close to NW 23rd and NW 21st and a ton of restaurants. The breakfast is meager, but there are a lot of options nearby (including Beesaw's). Like many hotels it can get a bit noisy, especially on the streetcar side, and the bright, semi-neon decor isn't for everyone. Opt for a room on the top floor for noise issues.

For kids, there is a large park on on Pettygrove and 25th, north of the hotel. Pretty sure there are a couple of little pocket parks right around there.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've stayed there twice, both times when I was doing consult appts at Legacy Emmanuel, right across the street. I prefer hotels with kitchens or kitchenettes, as I don't like to eat all my meals out, and this hotel has an adequate kitchenette in, I think, only the suite rooms.

Parking at Northrup Station is free - but there aren't enough parking places for the entire hotel, so sometimes you have to hunt on the street. It is right on a trolley stop, very close to NW 23rd and NW 21st and a ton of restaurants. The breakfast is meager, but there are a lot of options nearby (including Beesaw's). Like many hotels it can get a bit noisy, especially on the streetcar side, and the bright, semi-neon decor isn't for everyone. Opt for a room on the top floor for noise issues.
Yes, we are doing a king suite, which they said was the top floor. The bright decor seemed like a fun change ... sorta funky Dr. Suess of sorts - LOL.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Ignore Steve, I do. As in any city never leave anything in sight in your car and lock it.

BTW the term "Slabtown" refers to the fact that before the era of central heating when people heated with wood. Residents, particularly in sections of NW Portland (generally along Thurman east of 23rd), would buy cords (or slabs) of wood. In that era upscale homes were heated with coal. Few of those houses remain as they have been replaced by commercial buildings.

I know that part of NW Portland VERY WELL, obviously Steve does not. Northrup Station is not in what was once called "Slabtown".

The park mentioned is Wallace Park between Raleigh and Pettygrove, across from Chapman Grade School. Aside from me, notable graduates include Matt Groening.

Beesaws is nice but for a real neighborhood experience breakfast at http://www.steppingstonecafe.com/ ..

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 04-23-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Ignore Steve, I do. As in any city never leave anything in sight in your car and lock it.

BTW the term "Slabtown" refers to the fact that before the era of central heating when people heated with wood. Residents, particularly in sections of NW Portland (generally along Thurman east of 23rd), would buy cords (or slabs) of wood. In that era upscale homes were heated with coal. Few of those houses remain as they have been replaced by commercial buildings.

I know that part of NW Portland VERY WELL, obviously Steve does not. Northrup Station is not in what was once called "Slabtown".

The park mentioned is Wallace Park between Raleigh and Pettygrove, across from Chapman Grade School. Aside from me, notable graduates include Matt Groening.

Beesaws is nice but for a real neighborhood experience breakfast at http://www.steppingstonecafe.com/ ..
Thank you Nell! As always, your input is awesome!

I was reading the menu for Stepping Stone.....now I'm starving . We will definitely check out that place.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I found two versions of why it was called Slabtown:

Nell Plotts' version:
McMenamins

The "sinister" version:
slabtown chronicle: Why Slabtown?

Both are interesting!

Portland sure has had a colorful history, but that's all the nick-names "Slabtown" and "Tenderloin" are anymore, just history.

Unless you think you may be living in the late 1800's of course.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM

McMenamis version is closer to the truth, I have never heard the other version. Some of those old mill worker houses on Thurman Street were occupied when I was a child. FWIW McMenamins - McMenamins Tavern & Pool - Portland, OR (503) 227-0929 - Happy Hour Portland on NW 23rd south of Thurman Street is a favorite of mine.

I didn't know that there was ever a sawmill on Northrup Street. I do know that the reason why NW Front Avenue gets a little loppey is that the sawdust under the road from old mills in what was Guild's Lake is still rotting. Timber Structures used to have a mill on NW 29th and Yeon (I saw it burn down when my family lived in WWII military housing nearby).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland