Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM

12 posts, read 24,633 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm a single girl late 20s looking to move from east coast to Portland. I have no idea where to begin. I'm aiming for sept/oct. However, I am a bit scared as I will have to find a place with roommates. Any advice or direction is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:13 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,803 times
Begin with a job.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Find a job where you are now that will get you hired in Portland.

For example Starbucks. That job requires quite a bit of training and if you do a good job in your current community I am confident you will be hired at a local store. That isn't the end all of a career but it is a job that will work in a room mate situation. From that learn your customers, start to network to find something better. For heaven's sake don't tell someone that after they train you, you will be leaving town.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:32 PM

65 posts, read 107,703 times
Take it from another young Portland immigrant - come with a LOT of money, or else a job already. It took me 10 weeks to find work, and that's quick for Portland.

Also, as soon as you have a job, start looking for a place. Try to find somewhere close to work. Trust me on this part. Right now my commute is about 2 hours each way, it's hell. If at all possible, aim for a 30 minute or less commute.

Make sure you learn the mass transport system. It's pretty effective and efficient, and cars are expensive here (and I don't just mean the car itself).

Finally, don't get so wrapped up in job/apartment hunting you don't enjoy the city. It's a beautiful place with tons of fun stuff to do. And it can get very lonely just spending all day putting in applications online. Go out and enjoy the nightlife, or on the weekends. Seek out things you're interested in - I can almost guarantee you'll find it somewhere here.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:38 PM

A job isn't the issue i have a job and can transfer to anywhere. I need help because I've never hired cross country movers before, and I have never had to find an apartment with roommates cross country before.

What are the best areas to live if you plan on biking or taking the bus?
What are good areas to live if you are female (safety)?
Hiring movers, what is that like price wise? consider I don't have a lot of stuff....just a bed and some boxes.
How do I find an apartment with roommates who aren't going to screw me over? I've been screwed over in the past (room mate keeping rent and not paying landlord, screwing me on bills)

I just need some advice. The job thing is a non-issue it's the actual moving/planning that is scary.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
DON'T MOVE FURNITURE ACROSS THE COUNTRY. It is expensive and may not fit your new apartment. Sell your furniture and buy here. We have everything from resale shops to Ikea.

The best place to live will depend on where your job will be. Without that information it is difficult to give you good advice.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
DON'T MOVE FURNITURE ACROSS THE COUNTRY. It is expensive and may not fit your new apartment. Sell your furniture and buy here. We have everything from resale shops to Ikea.

The best place to live will depend on where your job will be. Without that information it is difficult to give you good advice.

As far as location goes NE portland is probably the best option for me and my job as I do not have a car.

I really like my bed, it's just a queen size mattress but it's mine and I love it. I would hate to have to buy new furniture. Would it really be too costly to move a mattress and box, with a couple of boxes and maybe a fold out desk?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
Take it from another young Portland immigrant - come with a LOT of money, or else a job already. It took me 10 weeks to find work, and that's quick for Portland.

Also, as soon as you have a job, start looking for a place. Try to find somewhere close to work. Trust me on this part. Right now my commute is about 2 hours each way, it's hell. If at all possible, aim for a 30 minute or less commute.

Make sure you learn the mass transport system. It's pretty effective and efficient, and cars are expensive here (and I don't just mean the car itself).

Finally, don't get so wrapped up in job/apartment hunting you don't enjoy the city. It's a beautiful place with tons of fun stuff to do. And it can get very lonely just spending all day putting in applications online. Go out and enjoy the nightlife, or on the weekends. Seek out things you're interested in - I can almost guarantee you'll find it somewhere here.

Good luck!

Where would I live while "looking for a job". Even though like I said I don't really need to worry about that. Would I stay in a motel? Won't that be really expensive? Is it better to stay in a motel and look for a place or have one set up for when I arrive?

Sorry if I sound stupid for asking these questions, I have never done this before.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 PM

65 posts, read 107,703 times
Ohhh! That changes things.

Well, downtown Portland and Portland proper (the northwest, southwest, southeast and northeast quarters) are all fairly to very well-served by Trimet. There's buses, light rail, and even a street car. Combine that with a bike and you should have no trouble getting around.

Safety is not a very big issue. Portland is much safer than cities of comparable size - the only really 'bad' suburb is Gresham, and the only 'bad' area is the entertainment district just north of downtown, and then only usually during the nighttime. There are a lot of homeless people due to the good support systems for them here, but most are harmless enough (I've been more bothered by preachy bible-thumpers screaming on street corners about hellfire and brimstone than I have by any homeless person). I would advise you to not go out terribly late at night (past 1 am) alone, if you can help it, but generally speaking if you're fairly street-smart and keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. The most common crime is car break-ins, which won't be a problem for you.

Each neighborhood has its own perks and pitfalls, and its own vibe as well. Try to spend some time in the neighborhoods you're considering before signing a lease - most here are 10-12 months, and that's a looooong time to live somewhere you hate. Also, check out Trimet's site to see where the bus, train, and streetcar routes are. It may help you decide which area of Portland you'd like to live in.

Finding roommates.. that's another story. I advise you to do what I did: rent somewhere month to month while you find a place to live permanently. Don't sign a lease or even agree to anything without being here first. There's a couple of 'guesthouses' where you can rent month to month, but you'll have to reserve a room in advance. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for roommates - I've never had any, and don't intend to. If you have limited income, consider applying to income restricted/rent controlled places - sometimes the rent can be half of market rent, making it feasible for you to live alone. Otherwise, definitely look around on the internet for advice on finding good roommates.

Last, if it were me, I'd get a U-haul truck and drive. If you're not bringing a lot and can get or hire help loading the truck, driving and getting to see the country is way more fun than dealing with the hassle of movers. I don't trust moving companies as I've heard way too many horror stories of the cargo being lost, stolen, 'subcontracted' to scam companies that hold your possessions hostage for more money, and worse. If you're traveling light, travel alone (and also check out safety tips for traveling if you're worried about that). Otherwise, I'd do research online to find a reputable company. Also, remember, moving is EXPENSIVE. Make sure you've got a good $2-3k socked away for the move, at bare minimum. You'll be doing a bit better as summer (May-August) is the big 'moving season', but it's still not gonna be cheap.

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times
I'll second the don't waste money on moving furniture. Unless it is Heirloom Quality, it is a poor choice.

And Roommate situations have more bad endings than good. Don't you watch Judge Judy? Bring money and get bye on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland