Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times

Advertisements

Sure. Because some show like Judge Judy represents such a cross-section of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I thought you said that you have a job!!! Why on earth do you think finding a job here will be a slam dunk when so many, with college degrees, have difficulty?

If you think finding a job will be easy and you are determined to move your stuff I suggest you pack all your things in boxes, then before leaving fly and stay for a week or two to line up a job and a place to stay. Most hire offers will give you a week or two to on-board. Offer in hand return to your current home, pack the balance in a moving truck and drive that truck here. Before you rent the likes of a U-Haul price out POD and their competitors.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
U-Haul will be around $2,000 and up. Fuel another $1,500. Plus meals, plus motels.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 AM

And that is in addition to first & last months rent, money to tide you over until your first pay check.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 24,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I thought you said that you have a job!!! Why on earth do you think finding a job here will be a slam dunk when so many, with college degrees, have difficulty?

If you think finding a job will be easy and you are determined to move your stuff I suggest you pack all your things in boxes, then before leaving fly and stay for a week or two to line up a job and a place to stay. Most hire offers will give you a week or two to on-board. Offer in hand return to your current home, pack the balance in a moving truck and drive that truck here. Before you rent the likes of a U-Haul price out POD and their competitors.
Why are you being so hostile? I did say that I have a job. I work for a company where I can transfer if I need to. I was thinking about taking a train and hiring movers to take the rest of my stuff, basically a mattress and 5 boxes. I know someone who moved from CA to the east coast and she paid like 700 bucks for movers and she had a sectional couch a bed and many boxes that's why I'm asking about the pricing for movers. A Uhaul truck is way too expensive gas plus mileage plus three + days of use is just not economical. No need to be a jerk, I'm just trying to figure this out. uughh just never mind. Obviously my choice to relocate is offensive or something.....just forget it...

Last edited by themostleastlikelyto; 05-26-2014 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: douchbags.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I'll second the don't waste money on moving furniture. Unless it is Heirloom Quality, it is a poor choice.

And Roommate situations have more bad endings than good. Don't you watch Judge Judy? Bring money and get bye on your own.
I don't mind room mates as long as they aren't douchbags. Also I like to have spending?saving money and having roommates means splitting rent and utilities.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM

I didn't intend to be hostile. First you said you had a job, then you said you didn't. There are lots of people, particularly young adults, who want to move here without an employment offer - they watch Portlandia and think living here is magical. You were smart to work for an employer with a presence in Portland and can transfer.

To live here without a car is very do-able IF you locate where you can bike or use transit between home and work. There are some employers, such as Starbucks, who have employment places all over the city. Others, such as Macy's have a couple. We can point you in the right direction if you would tell us the location of your job.

Keep in mind the fact that many landlords will not rent to someone without an offer of employment. When you hunt for housing have a letter in hand that says as much.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
I didn't intend to be hostile. First you said you had a job, then you said you didn't. There are lots of people, particularly young adults, who want to move here without an employment offer - they watch Portlandia and think living here is magical. You were smart to work for an employer with a presence in Portland and can transfer.

To live here without a car is very do-able IF you locate where you can bike or use transit between home and work. There are some employers, such as Starbucks, who have employment places all over the city. Others, such as Macy's have a couple. We can point you in the right direction if you would tell us the location of your job.

Keep in mind the fact that many landlords will not rent to someone without an offer of employment. When you hunt for housing have a letter in hand that says as much.
Sorry, Nell, but you misread what she said. What she actually said (in response to someone's post) was:

Quote:
Where would I live while "looking for a job". Even though like I said I don't really need to worry about that.
It was only in reference to that poster's suggestion. But followed that with saying it wasn't a worry for her. She never said she didn't have a job lined up.

To the OP. I'm sorry you've encountered a common problem here. I think a lot of posters are overzealous in "warning off" people about the job situation. You might find better advice on actual moving suggestions, by trying the "Moving" forum. I'm not sure all that many people here will have recent experience with that topic, and especially not with a coast-to-coast move.

Last edited by EnricoV; 05-26-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:

I never said I didnt have a job. In one of my posts, to someone else. I was talking about staying somewhere while "looking for my job" but then I said right after that I didnt really need to worry about that. but basically what I meant was that sometimes when transferring it can take a few weeks to make the transition....other times it happens right away...basically I'm just a little nervous about synching and coordinating the move itself, finding a place to live, and transferring my job over....

that is all....

Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sorry, Nell, but you misread what she said. What she actually said (in response to someone's post) was:

It was only in reference to that poster's suggestion. But followed that with saying it wasn't a worry for her. She never said she didn't have a job lined up.

To the OP. I'm sorry you've encountered a common problem here. I think a lot of posters are overzealous in "warning off" people about the job situation. You might find better advice on actual moving suggestions, by trying the "Moving" forum. I'm not sure all that many people here will have recent experience with that topic, and especially not with a coast-to-coast move.

Thanks for you help.

Didn't realize people get so butthurt about the job thing...LOL I would never in my life move somewhere unless I had the means to. I don't have mommy and daddy to milk off of and I'm not one to live gutter punk lifestyle so....yeah...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland