Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 6,763 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 21 year old African American transgender female moving to Portland possibly in March or April. I posted on this form concerning the safety of the trans community in Portland a few months ago. Many of the posters said I'd have no issues, thus I have decided to move forward with my relocation.

I have no support from my family I have been planning this move entirely on my own. This big of a move is very scary to be honest, but it is much needed after several verbal and physical attacks I've had living here in the Midwest. I was recently called a "shim/heshe" by a group of guys, and had what appeared to be soda thrown on my car. I don't understand why people in this part of the country hate transgender people so much?! But I am getting out of here before its too late...

I will be transferring with my current employer. So I already have a job. I currently live alone and enjoy it, however, Portland is a bit more expensive than Missouri. Do you advise me to search for a roommate? How does one go about it, safely? Also how much money do you think I should have saved up for the move? I will be driving alone for 27Hrs, my car is not the most reliable... Should I invest in a new car before moving? Because of the horrible experiences I've had with people in Missouri, I am not the most social.. Is it easy to make friends in Portland? What are some affordable areas that are also safe? What do I need to do to prepare for such a big change?

I do apologize for all of my questions, but I am young and I've never moved this far before. I do appreciate all respectful commentary. See you soon Portland!!

XXXO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:47 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
What can you afford for rent and where is your work located? That may make a big difference in recommendations on where to look and what to do about the car.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
anywhere on the east side. ive never seen a transgenger person west besides downtown.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Where you live is going to be determined by where you work and what you can afford more than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
anywhere on the east side. ive never seen a transgenger person west besides downtown.
Do you have some sort of map of where transgender people live?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
maybe this is a dumb question, but how would you know??

Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
You might get better advice here: SMYRC | Q Center

I imagine they have people who have experienced similar circumstances who might be able to guide you.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Just found this too: TRANSSEXUAL RESOURCES IN PORTLAND

Northwest Gender Alliance

Support Groups | Resources PDX | Transgender Resource Directory | Portland, Oregon

Hopefully one of these sources can give you information that will be helpful. As far as I know no one on here identifies as trans so while we can try to help, we don't necessarily know all there is to know.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
With respect to moving with an unreliable vehicle, consider selling your current car and renting a vehicle to move. Short of going the U-Haul route if you are a Costco member consider renting an SUV one way. Prices vary so much it is hard to predict what is most economical.

It rarely pays to move furniture unless your employer is paying for the move.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
maybe this is a dumb question, but how would you know??
i did it with a few. no but ive been told and you can tell

Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,763 times
crisw- I can afford $600- $800 in rent. But because of my current car situation I may be purchasing a new vehicle which may crunch my wallet for a bit. I will be working near the "Pearl District"

drum bro- I'm sure you have, you just didn't know they were trans lol

oldtintype- Thanks, if I remember correctly you commented on my previous post. You always give great advice.

Nell Plotts- I am considering renting a U-Haul, although I am a bit nervous to drive such a large object.
I don't plan on bringing anything other than clothes and a few small items. I don't think I will be successful selling
my car in time. I was going to look into purchasing a new vehicle next weekend. I just hate to sign up for a car payment
and move at the same time. I cannot afford to buy a car outright and move at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland