Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 AM

19 posts, read 22,818 times

Advertisements

"The apparel oft proclaims the man" - Hamlet Act 1 Scene 3

In Portland, Oregon, the beloved abstract carpet depicting the orientation of its runways was removed to much angst among the populace. Hipsters mourned, it was broadcast on the local news, and someone simply recorded the sound the carpet made as it was removed of the concrete floor.

Coming back from other cities to Baltimore always takes some acclimation to get back in the Baltimore state of mind.

Driving a business associate through Baltimore was shocking for him. He was appalled when I turn on my wipers to send a squeegee kid away. I said if you don't do that and don't give them money they kick you car and apologized to him for having to see that.

If Portland is the City that cares too much, Baltimore is the City that doesn't give a flying ****.

Baltimore is a City that will cut you off and flip you the finger. It's the city that deals and steals. It's the city that doesn't give enough of a **** not to punch and rob a pregnant woman. It's the city that doesn't give a **** about stabbing a hard-working immigrant at a downtown bus stop. It's the city that could give a **** about using an innocent by stander as a human shield in a gun fight. It's the city will ****ing stabbed you to death while your mom is on you cell listening to you die. It's certainly a city that wouldn't give a **** about its airport's carpet.

But you know what? I'd rather be in a place that cares too much than a place where no ****s are given.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 AM

45 posts, read 51,763 times
I believe you are vastly romanticizing how much anyone outside of news reporters and new Portland transplants cared about the PDX carpet. "The city that cares too much" is still a city filled with regular, busy, harassed, sometimes wonderful and sometimes terrible people, just like any other. Beware of embellishing its better qualities just because you are unhappy in your home town.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
I was in Portland for three months last summer.

Portland is still a nice city, but if you're the type who gets easily annoyed by your surroundings, Portland will provide you with more than enough fodder for annoyance.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:27 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Might I suggest Richmond, Pittsburgh or Raleigh for the OP? Cities that are cheap, with solid job oppurtunities, unique vibes and the city pride element the OP seeks. I have no room to talk as I moved to PDX, but I figured these might be worth considering since they're close to Baltimore

Old 02-07-2015, 02:11 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Portland could use some more folks from tougher parts of the country. Someone who would have the nerve to tell someone having a meltdown at Starbucks to "put their big boy pants on". Nice reality check for the people with first world problems (see internet memes). A lot of the folks I talk to here in Houston fantasize about living in Oregon. The trees, the hills and the generally timidness of the majority of folks. It would be a welcome change for anyone who has had enough of a tough city.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:21 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Portland could use some more folks from tougher parts of the country. ..........
I'd love to see the Baltimore Wheelie Boyz visit Portland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwyZlXo1zbQ

Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreNOmore View Post

In Portland, Oregon, the beloved abstract carpet depicting the orientation of its runways was removed to much angst among the populace. Hipsters mourned, it was broadcast on the local news, and someone simply recorded the sound the carpet made as it was removed of the concrete floor.

Coming back from other cities to Baltimore always takes some acclimation to get back in the Baltimore state of mind.

Driving a business associate through Baltimore was shocking for him. He was appalled when I turn on my wipers to send a squeegee kid away. I said if you don't do that and don't give them money they kick you car and apologized to him for having to see that.

If Portland is the City that cares too much, Baltimore is the City that doesn't give a flying ****.

Baltimore is a City that will cut you off and flip you the finger. It's the city that deals and steals. It's the city that doesn't give enough of a **** not to punch and rob a pregnant woman. It's the city that doesn't give a **** about stabbing a hard-working immigrant at a downtown bus stop. It's the city that could give a **** about using an innocent by stander as a human shield in a gun fight. It's the city will ****ing stabbed you to death while your mom is on you cell listening to you die. It's certainly a city that wouldn't give a **** about its airport's carpet.

But you know what? I'd rather be in a place that cares too much than a place where no ****s are given.
Did you grow up in Baltimore? I can totally understand getting tired of the east coast mentality. It isn't just Portland, it is an East Coast vs West Coast thing. The mentality is completely different between the two and the West Coast mentality might be more your thing.

I would definitely say you should come out and visit Portland and possibly other West Coast cities.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I'd love to see the Baltimore Wheelie Boyz visit Portland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwyZlXo1zbQ
The brothers like bikes in Houston too. I noticed it when I moved to Houston from San Antonio. Other parts of the south, bikes are popular with young black men. Kinda refreshing for me actually to see these young men taking an interest in bikes. I felt I had accomplished something when I could ride a sport bike well enough to do some serious "carving" on twisty roads. All genre of bikes represented here in Houston.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:28 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreNOmore View Post

Randy Newman beat you to it...

RANDY NEWMAN LYRICS - Baltimore

Thanks for the gut check. Be well.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 AM

609 posts, read 808,227 times
Lifelong Oregonian here who didn't give a #### about the airport carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland