Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,688 times

Advertisements

I hear conflicting stories - my family plans on moving to Portland by the end of summer. Hubby is a native Portlander (?) but left 25 years ago to live in LA which is where we met. He is from the Beaverton area and remembers the northern parts of town as being unsavory. I've read several boards to the contrary and the real estate prices would suggest otherwise as well. What do you guys think? I am black (from Belize)and he is white and we have always lived in white communitities (Orange County CA) but I think I'm ready to see more of a mix of races in my community, but not at the risk of my and my young black sons' safety. Another reason for relocating to NE would be that I may still be able to find a nice home, hopefully a fixer-upper, at a reasonable price point, am I correct in this assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 PM

241 posts, read 386,653 times
fixer-uppers are still going for a premium. I would make sure you're in the Grant HS areas. Stay very far from anywhere feeding into Jefferson.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
Parts of NE are among the nicest in Portland. Parts are less nice. None are especially unsafe, because Portland just isn't that unsafe. Jefferson and Madison aren't supposed to be very good schools, but houses in the close in parts of their feeder areas are still selling for ridiculous amounts- I sold one last summer. Presumably as the gentrification of the area continues, the schools will improve. The switch from K-5 to K-8 seems to have undone some progress on that front, though. That gentrification also means that the area's getting whiter.

There's nothing affordable that feeds into Grant, unless it's in need of absolutely massive repairs, and even then you'll pay more than $300,000, sometimes well more.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofeverything View Post
I hear conflicting stories - my family plans on moving to Portland by the end of summer. Hubby is a native Portlander (?) but left 25 years ago to live in LA which is where we met. He is from the Beaverton area and remembers the northern parts of town as being unsavory. I've read several boards to the contrary and the real estate prices would suggest otherwise as well. What do you guys think? I am black (from Belize)and he is white and we have always lived in white communitities (Orange County CA) but I think I'm ready to see more of a mix of races in my community, but not at the risk of my and my young black sons' safety. Another reason for relocating to NE would be that I may still be able to find a nice home, hopefully a fixer-upper, at a reasonable price point, am I correct in this assumption?
As far as safety, it's all about perspective. A lot has changed in 25 years! When your husband left 25 years ago, the perception (and perhaps reality) was that both North and Northeast were dangerous. News stories in the late 80s and beyond had stories of the bloods and the crips gangs fighting over territory. I had a friend that was looking at buying a house in N Portland for $25,000, and it was in completely habitable shape with nice hardwood floors.

My how times have changed! I don't know where exactly in NE you are looking and I don't have enough present knowledge to guide you. I am just writing to validate what your husband remembers, but also to state that it is a different world today.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,729 times
Quote:
Another reason for relocating to NE would be that I may still be able to find a nice home, hopefully a fixer-upper, at a reasonable price point, am I correct in this assumption?
Moving from Orange County, just about everything should seem very reasonably priced unless you have a very low budget.

From my experience working in that area, there are some nice parts of NE Portland, but I feel that it does go downhill the further east you go. There are definitely some nice, older homes (that could be fixer-uppers) in the NE PDX area that seem to be in relatively nice neighborhoods.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
When I was a young man I remember my dad telling me that If I ever drove up Union Avenue I had better have my doors locked, my windows rolled up and a tire iron on the seat next to me.

That was in the late 70's.

Things have changed a lot since those days.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
When I was a young man I remember my dad telling me that If I ever drove up Union Avenue I had better have my doors locked, my windows rolled up and a tire iron on the seat next to me.

That was in the late 70's.

Things have changed a lot since those days.
Of course it's no longer Union Avenue!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:19 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Another reason for relocating to NE would be that I may still be able to find a nice home, hopefully a fixer-upper, at a reasonable price point, am I correct in this assumption?
How far from downtown are we talking?

One of the places I lived in Portland was the Overlook Park area (technically N. Portland) and I went as far as N Lombard St. often. Spent time going back and forth to Video Rama (7000 block? I forget.) on Lombard too.

My friends would tease me that they wouldn't come visit, but I never got the feeling that it was dangerous. A little rundown sure. There are some nice areas around there also.

Other than one or two spots Portland never struck me as all that dangerous.

If you're talking LA prices you'll probably be able to find a house you consider reasonably priced. For the area the houses always seemed a tad expensive though.

A mix of races? Portland is over 70% white.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:18 PM

609 posts, read 808,642 times
It's now the cool hippie area. Get out of 2002, girlfriend!

Old 04-11-2015, 10:54 PM

12 posts, read 10,774 times
NE Portland is very nice. We moved here from Chicago so don't really consider any neighborhood scary or unsafe, even for kids. Compared to LA prices will be reasonable, but a cute house is $350K if small, and $600K for something larger and nice. We miss the energy and diversity of a big city even though Portland is very pretty. I'd say it's over 90% white/Caucasian. Luckily food carts are everywhere so we can get good ethnic food finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: