Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
It's an interesting comparison. They're definitely targeting similar economic demographics.

But while I haven't done vast analysis of what people drive, Orenco in my experience skews towards people who drive a Prius and access the MAX on foot or by bike. It also serves a lot of people who work nearby at Intel.

Happy Valley is a more standard "car based" suburb in my experience, in part because there wasn't any significant existing public transit to build around, and in general there's less employment in the immediate area.

But you're right that there are some strong similarities - both mixed residential/commercial and lean upscale though not exclusively so, both are largely focused around a single major road (Cornell v. Sunnyside)...
My two cents is that HV and Orenco don't have all the much in common other than they're both in suburban Portland. You're definitely right about HV being more car based and both areas attracting people with similar levels of household income. What's different between the two areas is that they attract two very different social demographics. I would describe HV as attracting more well-paid blue collar people while Orenco tends to attract more white collar people. If you took an occupational survey of the two areas, you would find a higher percentage of the population being white collar professional college grads in Orenco than you would find in HV. In HV you would find a higher proportion of blue collar workers such as plumbers, utility workers, contractors, dock workers, CDL drivers, etc. To me the two areas have totally different vibes and you can see it just driving around the residential communities within the two areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Happy Valley has apparently has the highest median income of any town in Oregon according to the recent article:

'Richest town in Oregon' may surprise you | OregonLive.com

Another fun fact, it also has the highest percentage of Asians of any city/town in Oregon(almost 18% of the population). Actually some of the business owners in the Asian district of 82nd have homes in Happy Valley. Having the same name as a district of Hong Kong probably doesn't hurt either...

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 06-24-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
That can probably be attributed to Kaiser Sunnyside hospital.

https://northwest-hospitals.kaiserpermanente.org/about-our-hospitals/kaiser-permanente-sunnyside-medical-center

The medical professions pay well.

The Asian part, I don't know, but I do remember when my sons attended Benson High, the health and medical courses were heavy with Asian students. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I also worked with and knew several guys (engineers) who were Asian that for some reason considered a home in Happy Valley a big status symbol, as opposed to living in the city limits of Portland.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM

241 posts, read 386,653 times
it's much more Russian-centric thani this Asian. As far as it being higher-end blue collar money? Couldn't be further from the truth. There is a vast wealth of white collar professionals. The commute to downtown is no different than it is to/for Lake Oswego/West Linn via I5. Downtown to Bull Mountain in Beav/Tigard. Not everyone wants to reside in the West Hills.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
My two cents is that HV and Orenco don't have all the much in common other than they're both in suburban Portland. You're definitely right about HV being more car based and both areas attracting people with similar levels of household income. What's different between the two areas is that they attract two very different social demographics. I would describe HV as attracting more well-paid blue collar people while Orenco tends to attract more white collar people. If you took an occupational survey of the two areas, you would find a higher percentage of the population being white collar professional college grads in Orenco than you would find in HV. In HV you would find a higher proportion of blue collar workers such as plumbers, utility workers, contractors, dock workers, CDL drivers, etc. To me the two areas have totally different vibes and you can see it just driving around the residential communities within the two areas.
Even if your perception is true, the public schools in Happy Valley rate much better than Hillsboro, even the schools assigned to Orenco (at least in my preliminary research into the area) are not rated as highly as HV's.

Last edited by VelouriaPDX; 06-24-2015 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Happy Valley has apparently has the highest median income of any town in Oregon according to the recent article:

'Richest town in Oregon' may surprise you | OregonLive.com

Another fun fact, it also has the highest percentage of Asians of any city/town in Oregon(almost 18% of the population). Actually some of the business owners in the Asian district of 82nd have homes in Happy Valley. Having the same name as a district of Hong Kong probably doesn't hurt either...
The comments in that article capture some of the "HV hate" I referenced in my OP.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM

So many of the west side neighborhoods with good schools and houses in our price range just seem a little... run down? Unpaved or poorly maintained narrow roads with no sidewalks or street lights. Overgrown bushes and invasive ivy that makes everything seem really shaded and dark. I liked how much sunshine was hitting my face in Happy Valley.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
You're looking at old established Portland, versus bright, shiny, new, professionally landscaped suburban Portland.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:57 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times
Orenco, Villebois, and Happy Valley are different in various ways. The similarity is that they are designed as new urbanist developments.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
Moving up from Silicon Valley (to Californicate), and as an Asian, Happy Valley seemed to have a lot to be desired. New homes, clean neighborhoods, diverse population, houses on top of hills, good schools, very centrally located near freeways and also backroads, and very affordable (coming from a 1500sq home costing 2x of typical 3000sq luxury home in HV). What I couldn't stand though, was those beautiful homes on top of the hill, had a full view of all the million roofs of other homes in the valley. It was downright depressing. HV is just too overbuilt. We ended up in Damascus where we can enjoy country living with some acreage to stretch our legs. Everytime I drive up 172nd to Sunnyside and look at the HV hillside full of Monopoly homes, I'm just so glad we didn't settle there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland