Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,377 times

Advertisements

Hello to all resident Portlanders, I am seeking advice on what it's currently like living in Portland,Oregon and whether it is the right place for me. Some things about myself; I am a jobless 26 year old looking to possibly transfer into PSU due to its location and reasonable cost. Without revealing too much, my financial situation is... "somewhat" stable, though I imagine student loans will become an issue down the road with no job. However; being situated in the city might mean more opportunities in that sense, and may be best since I currently don't have a car.

Reasons for moving & what I'm looking for:

- Wanting to experience a more progressive, diverse, and definitely liberal location.

I really am sick and tired of Oklahoma in this regard the most. I want a local that is basically exactly the opposite of what I've experienced in this state. Non religious, non conformity, and just an open minded much less uptight experience. My personal views don't jive with my life here to say the least, and really I wish I moved much sooner.

- Not knowing exactly what I want to focus on. Direction.

Pretty much, I'm looking to find myself still. I'm not sure if Portland is the best place to do this or not, hence why I am asking. Perhaps it's better to already have a career in mind, but we'll see. I'm a techie type of guy, though I haven't exactly had jobs in any fields. I have an open mind, so I'm up for whatever the place has to offer compared to Okla.

- Culture & Activities.

Oklahoma is kinda notorious for having little to do, and very little culture. I am assuming Portland is somewhat opposite in this regard? Especially with a much lauded Japanese Garden, among other things, it seems the place doesn't lack for culture.

- Well Being.

I am currently very unhappy in my state, and have been for a long time. From major depression that was crippling at times, to rage at my situation and dealing with the people here, I want to alleviate my outlook on life and attitude. I want to not feel hopeless with my surroundings, and feel truly happy/fulfilled.

To sum it up, is Portland a good place to uproot oneself at my age as a place best to fit? What changes has Portland gone through over the years, and would I still have that classic "hipster" experience that it's known for? For those of you well traveled, are there better/cheaper alternatives in the country that kind of match with what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
You really need to focus on your employment prospects. Keep in mind the fact that in comparison to your current location the cost of living in Portland will be substantially higher.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You really need to focus on your employment prospects. Keep in mind the fact that in comparison to your current location the cost of living in Portland will be substantially higher.
Would you say that the job market is agreeable in Portland? I realize the cost, but I am planning on possibly living on PSU campus for a while after transferring. The higher cost in comparison is worth the possibly higher standard of living imo.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM

128 posts, read 183,275 times
What kind of work would you be trying to find right when you get there?

I ask because I lived in Portland in 2014 and even with almost 10 years of food service experience, I was only hired at 10/hr, part time, and that was at two different restaurants..

I got a job as a receptionist at a law firm and only made 11. Although I got a free monthly bus/max pass which helped somewhat. I had a variety of other jobs in Portland and 11/hr was seriously the most I was offered.

My ex bf got hired as a purchasing clerk for the Hilton at 13/hr in 2014.

Together we could barely afford a 1 br apt for 750/mo. That was located close-ish to downtown on MLK near the Irvington neighborhood. We had internet and no cable, and we paid for our phones at only 35/mo. And we had food stamps. We still could barely afford to go out or get away from the city. He had to walk everywhere or pay for the bus.

After I left in early 2015, my ex said his rent went up to 800. I assume it's even higher now.

My sister manages a popular french bakery in Portland and makes over 20/hr plus tips. Her boyfriend makes a little less than that. They can no longer afford it and are moving to the Washington side.

Not to be a downer but the job market there sucks unless you have some good experience, references, etc that will make you rise above the competition. A ton of people just like you are trying to live there and struggling big time.

I think you should do more research..or hell, try it and maybe you can prove me wrong!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
What kind of work would you be trying to find right when you get there?
Atm, my skills are geared more towards something like IT support or Web Design, so I'm not too certain how hard a time I'll have finding work right off the bat...

Ouch, sorry that you guys had a rough time it seems. Glad to hear that your sister is at least making it there, it sounds a bit tougher than I figured due to the influx I suppose driving up living prices there. It sounds like the situation in Portland resembles that of Cali, as I've had family in Cali move for similar reasons.

Quote:
Not to be a downer but the job market there sucks unless you have some good experience, references, etc that will make you rise above the competition. A ton of people just like you are trying to live there and struggling big time.
Don't sugercoat, better I learn whatever I'm in for right now, which is why I'm asking after all. ; ) I was kinda figuring that it may be best to already have a set career or preference in mind, as opposed to me wanting to just drift and find it.

Quote:
I think you should do more research..or hell, try it and maybe you can prove me wrong!
Definitely, and like I said in the OP, I am open to other places that are similar to Portland in nature but with perhaps a better job market. Austin(?) I'm guessing might fit that alternative, but I'm not too keen on moving to another state not too dissimilar to Okla, even if that particular city is an outlier.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 AM

119 posts, read 156,278 times
Dude, if you're prone to depression, Portland will only make it worse. It's dark, dank and cold for most of the year. Culture? Virtually none unless you call Oregon Duck football and Trail Blazer basketball "culture". I think you should think twice about the move. Lots of places are "liberal" if that's your primary goal.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If you plan to transfer to an Oregon college, the out-of-state fees are enormous. If you are borrowing money to go to school you are much better off going to a college where you are paying resident's fees. You will end up with much less debt that way.

Portland is progressive; it is not diverse.

If you don't know what you want to focus on, you are wasting your college dollars. You can spend a heck of a lot of money and get a degree that is only good for a job serving coffee. With the cost of college, especially for someone who is borrowing the money to go to college, I advise that you know where you are going, what you are going to do with your degree, and you know absolutely that the degree you have chosen will qualify you for a high paying job.

I would say that Portland is moderate on the culture scale. Portland is more oriented towards outdoor activities. Have you considered Seattle or San Francisco? Both of those cities are very progressive and have more culture than Portland. Berkeley (University of California at Berkeley) is probably the most progressive college, but I've never noticed any culture in Berkeley. It's close to San Francisco, though. My warning about Berkeley would be that it doesn't seem to offer any majors that might qualify a person for a high paying job. Lots of liberal arts which makes you nicely educated but unemployable.

The long dark winter in Portland isn't going to be good for your depression.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:23 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,184,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
........... My warning about Berkeley would be that it doesn't seem to offer any majors that might qualify a person for a high paying job................
They do, actually. Engineering for one: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/eng-rankings

Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Isn't PSU an accredited 4 year institution of higher education with the usual acceptance/matriculation requirements? I wouldn't know that much about it being largely self-educated, but... how can one talk about attending such and such university? Don't you have to be accepted there first? And loans have to be secured... I can't see even the lenient govt. lenders having much enthusiasm for the o.p.'s circumstances unless parents or other family are willing to co-sign for them. Might be cheaper all round to just let them support the o.p. in place. IOW the Devil you know...

I don't understand being 26 and undefined. I'm sorry, I simply do not. It bespeaks unexplained ... issues... that must be addressed going forward. The details, obviously, none of my business, but the o.p. in effect is seeking advice and/or encouragement for a venture that, on its face, looks like a complete non-starter. So that is mine. Don't do it. Don't even think about it. Finish school in OK. Obtain gainful employment in OK. The success, or not, of doing this will advise future options.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,683,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Dude, if you're prone to depression, Portland will only make it worse. It's dark, dank and cold for most of the year.

This was my thought, too. I had the impression that his depression was based on things other than climate, but the Portland weather would not do much at all to help it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland