Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM

20 posts, read 34,484 times

Advertisements

Can someone fill me in on ediquette for street parking in Portland and the surrounding areas? I've never lived anywhere that had street parking. Other than the common sense laws is there anything I should know which would help me determine where I can or cannot park? I feel weird about parking in front of someone's house on a side street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
How long are you parking the car?

Some neighborhoods have area permit parking. Not many are on the east side but I suspect some may change due to the influx of apartments without parking.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
If you are parking for a few hours not really an issue but if you are parking for the duration of the workday or days on end not good manners. The City does have a limit on how long a car can be parked without moving it.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Every street is well marked if their are parking rules, but once you get out of downtown and many of the inner city neighborhoods, street parking isn't much of an issue.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
It's not signed as such, but in parts of the east side mail delivery is by truck rather than foot - the carriers get persnickety (understandably) if you are blocking easy access to a mailbox [i.e. the space they would need to sidle a mail truck in along the box without having to get out/back up, etc.].

Of course, they'll take it out on the owner of the mailbox rather than on you as a driver, so be considerate. You can tell you're in such a neighborhood if all the boxes are out on the roadside.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm asking about parking while out after hours or on the weekends, shopping, eating, etc.

When we were there in March we parked on one of the side streets off Hawthorne while eating at Apizza Scholls and I wasn't sure if that was appropriate.

Thanks for all the responses. Any information is helpful.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsewnab View Post
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm asking about parking while out after hours or on the weekends, shopping, eating, etc.

When we were there in March we parked on one of the side streets off Hawthorne while eating at Apizza Scholls and I wasn't sure if that was appropriate.

Thanks for all the responses. Any information is helpful.
Of course. Where else are you going to park?

I suppose it'd be nice to put a giant "Reserved for JasonF" sign outside my place, but the reality is it's open to anyone who can get it and I virtually always end up parking in front of someone else's place. It's just something you have to accept if you choose to live in the city, and especially if you live on or within a few blocks of a busy street.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
You have to move your car every 24 hours or your car can be reported. There is a website dedicated to Portland parking laws.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM

I appreciate everyone's response. I know this may seem trivial but its not something I've had any experience with. Sounds like common sense will go a long way and I think I can figure the rest out.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
We need help! lived here for years no problem with this one neighbor, but all of a sudden he has been leaving notes
on our friends cars that park in front of his house(you can park two cars in front of his house) they dont do it all the
time -saying they need to park in front of the house they are visiting. He does not do this to any other cars that park
in front of his house.As far as I know we can parking on public streets as long as it isnt over a certain amount of days -
am I wrong and what if anything should I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: