Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Consider a place nearby a bus line, between PCC. MLK and St Johns. (Slightly west, but near Interstate MAX). Might need to stay a tad away from UoP to get reasonable rents. Kenton might be too far North, but probably still acceptable. As mentioned, you will be getting around a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I just reread the OP's post and am now wondering who could have referred him to Buckman and Brooklyn as musicians' neighborhoods. Since I lived in the Buckman area right by Hawthorne I can say the closest I ever saw was this.

The Hawthorne Theatre | Calendar

He could go hang out there and find out where some musicians live I suppose. I used to see people sitting outside this venue just talking while musicians parked their buses loading and unloading their equipment.

As far as Brooklyn, I have never heard of it as a musician's hangout. Cheap rents though.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:33 PM

170 posts, read 193,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the neighborhood at this point - I would concentrate on finding a place close to the PCC campus and your work. Unless you're living off a trust fund, you'll be so busy working full time (to be able to afford to live here) and going to school part time that you won't have much time for music until after you've graduated. And by that point, whatever musician areas do exist probably won't exist anymore so you would have to move anyway.

OP this is so true; stay where you are!!!!! go to school where you are!!! you will be much happier in cali than here; I wish we could go back to the bay area where we came from, but it's too late for us. do not move here!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
There always seems to be one of those "Band Houses" in every SE neighborhood I visit, but no "enclave of musicians".

And BTW, the 80s/90s type of Portland is long gone as far as Portland being a unique and affordable place to be a musician.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:27 AM

148 posts, read 178,462 times
this seems like a joke

Old 04-25-2016, 09:58 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
I keep hearing that Tacoma is the next big thing the PNW. Going to school in the area and living in Tacoma seems like a real possibility for young people looking for an urban but affordable life.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
this seems like a joke
No, for real. They do exist. The OP might want to try this city.

One Small, Unexpected Neighborhood Has the Best Indie Music Scene in America - Mic

Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen1 View Post
OP this is so true; stay where you are!!!!! go to school where you are!!! you will be much happier in cali than here; I wish we could go back to the bay area where we came from, but it's too late for us. do not move here!
I just spent a week in the Bay Area and every waiter we had while eating out wants to move to Portland

Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I just spent a week in the Bay Area and every waiter we had while eating out wants to move to Portland
Why do you think that is?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Every time time I visit San Diego to visit my daughter and her family when I tell people I am from Portland, and guess what?

They all say "I wish I could move there!"

I always tell them the grass is always greener, yada yada yada, and there are good and bad sides to every location, and they kind find most of what they want right where they are at.

Everybody always seems to think that where they live is crap, but 90 percent of the time it's related to family, friends, and their own personal baggage, and not the geography.

Of course I have to admit that I have spent most of my long years on the west coast, and know nothing of what it's like to live in say Pennsylvania or Missouri or Nebraska or Ohio..
Maybe it is better here in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland