Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM

53 posts, read 144,805 times

Advertisements

I have two quesitons.

How is Court Reporting in the Portland area?

Is this school a legit one?

College of Legal Arts
8909 SW Barbur Blvd., Suite 100
Portland, OR 97219

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I can tell you I went to COLA back in 2002. There was a great deal of dissatisfaction which resulted in the firing of one of the teachers and administrators. The instructors were below par. I transferred to Western School of Business which is now Everett College and the law teachers there were awesome

COLA may have cleaned up its act by now I hope so. I don't see any ads for court reporters and I am always looking in the papers and online for para legals and they are usually in the same section. Still you need to check this out with some of the employment agencies who specialize in placements in the legal field.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Court Reporting is a dead profession, most courts have installed recording systems nearly a decade ago.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Court Reporting is a dead profession, most courts have installed recording systems nearly a decade ago.

False, I talk to court reporters every day! ]They are working and making decent money.

Look at the U.S. governement's Bureau of labor statistics and they make about the same as paralegals!!

As long as people sue each other, you will need court reporters.

good luck!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
False, I talk to court reporters every day! ]They are working and making decent money.
Maybe in criminal trials, I have only 1 experience there which did not have a reporter, but no civil proceedings I know of has ever had one since 2001. My own personal experience, and those I chat with that are mostly in copyright and business law, haven't seen one for ages.

Last edited by subsound; 05-11-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Court Reporting Designated One of the Fastest Growing Professions By Federal Government, Although Number of Graduates is Trending Downward - Business News - redOrbit

It's supposedly a growing profession

Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

COLA may have cleaned up its act by now I hope so.
Thanks for the information! I will definitely need to do research to make sure it has. The college you transfered to doesn't have court reporting.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
False, I talk to court reporters every day! ]
good luck!!

Thank you!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 AM

I can see it for broadcasting for the hearing impaired, that will grow I think (more things broadcast in general, all those cable channels) but transcriptions and courts will diminish in priority. I know most people who do transcriptions outsource it now, medical procedures get some very interesting spellings that way. Also depends on the technology of speech to text applications, Dragon Naturally Speaking has always done a mediocre job...but if they ever get a killer application in that area the positions could disappear pretty much overnight.

Court Reporter

The number of court reporters is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations through 2016. There will probably be more job openings than job seekers, so job opportunities should be good, especially for stenographic typists. There will continue to be a need for transcriptions of court cases. The need for television captions will grow. The need for translating services for deaf and hard-of-hearing persons will also grow. Because there aren't enough stenographic typists, voice writers have become more common. Still, many courts hire only stenotypists. So, demand for these highly skilled reporters will remain high.

All new television programs must be captioned for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Also, deaf and hard-of-hearing college students can get translations in their classes. Both of these factors should increase demand for court reporters that can provide real-time captioning and CART services. Providing these services requires the same skills that court reporters use.

Limited budgets may prevent courts from hiring more staff. This might limit the need for court reporters. Many courtrooms use tape recorders to make records of proceedings. But court reporters who can quickly turn spoken words into text will continue to be needed.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
They've been saying that for decades but the legal system moves at a snail's pace when it comes to adopting new technology.

Freelance court reporting is a wonderful career once you become proficient and establish a reputation.

Pay is good and you can pick and choose your jobs up to a point. A large portion of the work can be done at home. The cases are all different.

The legal system is pretty immune to economic downturns and you job isn't likely to go to China or India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland