Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM

145 posts, read 203,989 times

Advertisements

I was looking at homes in Portland a few years ago, and had spoken with a few people in the real estate business at the time. Today out of the blue I got an email from one of the brokers I contacted asking if I was still looking in the area. LOL

I was rather surprised. I thought Portland had low inventory and a ton of buyers knocking down their door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
Regardless of current business cycle. it is good business practice to keep name in front of people.

The realtor business is mostly a soft skill business. The actual technical skills involved are pretty minimal. Nice people who are good at subtle self promotion do the best.

Keeping one's name out there is important. One never knows where the next customer will come from. While a contact may or may not ever pay out, it could and with technology now, it is very cheap to get one's name out there.

This has no bearing as to whether a market is hot/cold - buyer/seller. They gotta keep their name in front of people.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM

While I agree with you...

I just looked on Zillow and Portland has 2,650 homes for sale. That's a whole bunch of homes. They all seem kind of expensive. Hmmmm

I wonder if this market is having trouble attracting buyers.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
While I agree with you...

I just looked on Zillow and Portland has 2,650 homes for sale. That's a whole bunch of homes. They all seem kind of expensive. Hmmmm

I wonder if this market is having trouble attracting buyers.
It's still pretty early. School hasn't let out here and in many other cities. I predict it will pick up.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have RE agents call me from all over USA and elsewhere. ((Cuz I pay cash and close FAST) fortunately in nearly 40 props, I have only used agents 2 miserably slow and expensive times.

Portland has some significant “buyer problems” at the moment. (And owner problems).

6 lifetime /diehard Portland fans (friends) pulled their families OUT this yr. They usually keep thier homes, hoping to return when Civilization is back. I’m not sure that will happen in my lifetime. They are more optimistic than I. The region will survive, but will Portland be able to retain the stable families and employers and economy and community needs... Hope so! (Not likely with current leadership and politics. ). Fortunately there are some excellent service groups a colleges who are likely to hang in there and pick up the pieces. Jobs will become much more difficult to find and keep, as employers and job creators are forced out.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
It's still pretty early. School hasn't let out here and in many other cities. I predict it will pick up.
It seems like there are many more homes on the market now. I think it is getting softer.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I get the impression my area in Beaverton has cooled off substantially as well. I'm a bit bummed about that, to say the least, especially as I watch the city I'm moving to appreciate at the highest rate in the nation. Grr.

Still, a few thousand houses on the market is nothing, there are a lot of people moving to Portland (for reasons unknown to me, but that's their business).

It's never too late to turn things around, but it's going to take some real leadership in this city, and the voters are going to need to get with the program, because a hippy dippy attitude isn't going to solve real problems. There are a LOT of issues that should have been tackled earlier from homelessness outreach programs not really working to lack of infrastructure (not enough freeways and they're not even close to big enough for a city even 1 million residents let alone 2.7 or whatever) to too high of income taxes. The thing is, you can look at a place like CA and say, "Yeah, 10%+ income taxes are awful, but I mean I guess if I had this killer job with Google, making $200,000/year, yeah that's worth it." There are enough jobs that you can *only* get in California, and it's such a big state with such large infrastructure needs, even though they waste an immense amount of money and it's another poorly run state, you can at least kind of justify the crushing taxes if you're taking home a huge paycheck. But in Oregon, there aren't THAT many great jobs, so they need to ease up on these crazy income taxes. It scares business owners away, too.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
I have found that the pricing of real estate has flattened out, but not declined, however the days of houses selling for over asking price before they are actually on the market is long over.

The homeless/tweaker situation is getting a bit better, but is still a huge problem for Portland.
Hopefully with all these new apartments going up, rental prices will drop.
I think that there might be a glut of affordable apartments pretty soon.

We'll see how how Portland's next Mayor runs things.
Wheeler is just skating through his term, and not doing much (just maintaining the Status Quo), but at least he is light years better than Hales (our last useless Mayor) ever was.

His accomplishments as Mayor won't help his future political career much, he really hasn't done anything of note.
Wheeler will just end up being another useless one term Mayor.

I believe he really wanted to be Governor, but was appeased by ending up a "phone it in" Mayor.
He doesn't do anything unless he has to.......unless it's kissing real estate developers arses.

Also the way our Portland's city government is structured (commission form of government) needs to change, and Portland really needs to get rid of Miss Chloe Eudaly...

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-22-2018 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 04:44 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,126 times
I've been away for the summer and have been amazed at all the new homes and apartments under construction in Washington County now that I'm back. It certainly looks like an overshoot. My homeys, unfortunately, are taking to life in Oregon too well and my wife talked me into looking into river front homes. $20K a year in property taxes!! Egads!. The wind went out of those sails pretty quickly. The interesting part is how long many of those homes have been on the market. Years in some cases.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM

How is the market here looking now... Are they still having bidding wars over these houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland