Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM

35 posts, read 101,345 times

Advertisements

Im considering relocating from Central Ga within the next 6-12 months.
A.I wont relocate until I have a job in place and somewhere to live.
B.weather is not an issue with me
c.one thing i dont understand is the gas pumbing deal in oregon?
thanks for any input you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemacon View Post
Im considering relocating from Central Ga within the next 6-12 months.
A.I wont relocate until I have a job in place and somewhere to live.
Very glad to hear that, an extremely good decision.

Quote:
B.weather is not an issue with me
You say that now, but you really don't know until you've experienced it. You may have SAD and just not know.

Quote:
c.one thing i dont understand is the gas pumbing deal in oregon?
thanks for any input you can give me.
Job bill from the 1960's when Oregon was going through it's first round of tough economic times. Occasionally there are attempts to remove it, but it gets defeated every time.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM

having worked in the medical field and having family in medicine,Im sure I dont have SAD.
That's interesting about the job bill,I cant remember the last time someone else pumped my gas? maybe when i was a teenager.
thanks for the info.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
having worked in the medical field and having family in medicine,Im sure I dont have SAD.
SAD=Seasonal affective disorder; Seasonal affective disorder - PubMed Health

Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Job bill from the 1960's when Oregon was going through it's first round of tough economic times. Occasionally there are attempts to remove it, but it gets defeated every time.
Sort of, but not really. (i looked this all up in the Oregonian ... if anyone doesn't believe me, I can provide citations!).

In the 1940s, they began appearing around the country. In October 1948, there were two self-service stations in Portland. In November, the city council passed an ordinance outlawing any new being constructed, in alignment with State Law, instituted by the State Fire Marshal as a fire hazard.

A 1951 article reported that there were bans in place in: CT IL IN ME MI MN NJ OH OR PA KS TN RI & WV. By 1974 only 5 states banned it. By 1977 it was only IL, NJ & OR ... and IL allowed it that same year.

Bills were introduced to allow it in 1955, 1969, 1974, 1975, etc. . . . and all failed.

Various arguments for and against allowing them through the years. Jobs for young people was one of the concerns. Unfair competition was an early one - in that they didn't think small stations could offer it, while the major companies could.

So bottom line, except for a very small window of time in the 40s, it has NEVER been legal in Oregon.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 PM

the biggest con I have found is no Chick-Fil-a..lol

Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sort of, but not really. (i looked this all up in the Oregonian ... if anyone doesn't believe me, I can provide citations!).

In the 1940s, they began appearing around the country. In October 1948, there were two self-service stations in Portland. In November, the city council passed an ordinance outlawing any new being constructed, in alignment with State Law, instituted by the State Fire Marshal as a fire hazard.

A 1951 article reported that there were bans in place in: CT IL IN ME MI MN NJ OH OR PA KS TN RI & WV. By 1974 only 5 states banned it. By 1977 it was only IL, NJ & OR ... and IL allowed it that same year.

Bills were introduced to allow it in 1955, 1969, 1974, 1975, etc. . . . and all failed.

Various arguments for and against allowing them through the years. Jobs for young people was one of the concerns. Unfair competition was an early one - in that they didn't think small stations could offer it, while the major companies could.

So bottom line, except for a very small window of time in the 40s, it has NEVER been legal in Oregon.
So are there no chain gas stations like in other states?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
So are there no chain gas stations like in other states?
Yes, there are. Almost all of them are. They just don't allow self-service.

I think the small, independents faded away about the time they took the "service" out of the stations.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 PM

113 posts, read 216,826 times
curious why so many have issues with the pumping of the gas. I hate pumping my own gas and would typically pay more and tip for that service. I would find that a luxury really.

as for that chicken place, well, just coat some chicken breasts in a crust of salt, inject it with salted water, bread it, and deep fry it. Viola! chick file, but of course, never on Sundays, as the founder is highly religious and doesn't want anyone doing anything against HIS religion on the sacred day of rest.

Last edited by catharsis; 01-21-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
That's interesting about the job bill,I cant remember the last time someone else pumped my gas? maybe when i was a teenager.
thanks for the info.

???? How is working in the medical field and having family in the field guarantee you that you will not have SAD? There is no possible way of knowing whether or not one will have SAD until they live under the conditions that bring SAD on.

But on the bright side, I don't think a majority of people who move here get SAD. It will more than likely not be a problem for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland