Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

59 posts, read 70,548 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot about Portland's poor job market. I have not read much about lower wage jobs however (retail, coffee shops, etc). Portland's culture of artistic youth would indicate to me that this sector is also poor, but I would like to hear what locals have to say. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,346,012 times
Not many, can't live on it unless you like the streets.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
Or are willing to live in a shared-housing situation.

Low wage jobs are just as hard to come by as any other jobs. There's lots of competition. But nothing is impossible, if you work hard enough at it. Including getting a job.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,467,518 times
I think a lot of low wage jobs such as the ones you describe are in competition is because many people want them while they pursue other interests. People like artists who want to be able to have flexible time spending hours on their art work or performers and the like find them ideal. I used to know a lot of part time waiters/part time actors. And then there are
are the usual students and full time workers who just want to supplement their incomes.

Many retirees have found they can't make ends meet on Social Security and dwindling retirement funds and so look for these types of jobs. Then there are the unskilled laborers and those who are maybe just returning to the work force who may have been out of the job market for some time.

Finally, there are many people who relocate here who believe these jobs are just waiting for them without ever even thinking about the fact how few and far between they really are.

You can see by the fact that often a local news program will advertise that Home Depot or McDonald's will be taking on 100 employees and 300 show up to apply that there are so many who want these jobs.

Not to say you can't land one. You just have to keep trying and be one of the first in line. It also will help if you know someone who already works there to put in a word for you.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

The reason I ask this question is because I have no college education, only a H.S. degree and 2 years of retail. I live in the DC area off my retail job, with $10K saved up, and a desperate need to get away from this place for the sake of my life. I don't care about money, as long as I can support myself and have the time to explore my musical endeavors.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,467,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indieco View Post
The reason I ask this question is because I have no college education, only a H.S. degree and 2 years of retail. I live in the DC area off my retail job, with $10K saved up, and a desperate need to get away from this place for the sake of my life. I don't care about money, as long as I can support myself and have the time to explore my musical endeavors.
It is not a good idea to say you don't care about money. Like it or not you need it to survive. There are things you can do to make sure you have enough to live on though because you do not want to live on the streets.

First of all, a roommate situation is one way to go. That cuts down on expenses a great deal. Your two years of retail might be of help to you since it will get you a little further ahead of those who have none. Where do you work now? Is it somewhere you might be able to secure a transfer to a store here?

Have you checked out any of the big box stores? They have openings from time to time. The trick is to get your foot in the door preferrably before you make the move. One way to do that is to come for a visit and do some scouting around. You can stay in an inexpensive hostle and take public transportation. Maybe you could get lucky and find yourself a job by doing that. Just being at the right place at the right time.

I have to ask this, does it have to be Portland? There may be other cities where a fresh start would be a bit easier for you as far as securing a job and where the music industry is easier to find work in as well. I don't know anything really about Portland's music scene but I would think a larger city would have better opportunities in that area.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,711,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Not many, can't live on it unless you like the streets.
. . . or live with your parents

Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It is not a good idea to say you don't care about money. Like it or not you need it to survive. There are things you can do to make sure you have enough to live on though because you do not want to live on the streets.

First of all, a roommate situation is one way to go. That cuts down on expenses a great deal. Your two years of retail might be of help to you since it will get you a little further ahead of those who have none. Where do you work now? Is it somewhere you might be able to secure a transfer to a store here?

Have you checked out any of the big box stores? They have openings from time to time. The trick is to get your foot in the door preferrably before you make the move. One way to do that is to come for a visit and do some scouting around. You can stay in an inexpensive hostle and take public transportation. Maybe you could get lucky and find yourself a job by doing that. Just being at the right place at the right time.

I have to ask this, does it have to be Portland? There may be other cities where a fresh start would be a bit easier for you as far as securing a job and where the music industry is easier to find work in as well. I don't know anything really about Portland's music scene but I would think a larger city would have better opportunities in that area.
I work currently at Macy's. Before that I worked at BJ's wholesale. I am not sure Macy's even does direct transfers across regions but I figure I'll apply to any Portland locations. My cousin also lives in Portland and I'm trying to network a bit through him.

The pacific northwest is the only place I desire to live in, in the states, and music is the most important thing to me. My music being under the indie rock label, which Portland and Seattle are the two hubs of, and Portland has a lower cost of living than the latter.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
. . . or live with your parents
Unfortunately my parents don't even speak to me.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
Full disclosure: I live in Hillsboro, OR, part of the greater Portland Metro Area. However, cost of living was not even in the top five comparison criteria with the other cities on the short list. Unless you are talking about a major outlier like NYC or Honolulu, most states cluster around a mean COL index of 100. I lived 40 years in NYC (col index 216) and I am hanged if I can perceive much difference between how I lived there, and how I live now in PDX (col index 104). The differences between two cities with a COL index difference that is less vast than the extreme example I just cited will not be perceptible to the average person. The o.p. should visit both cities IMO.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland