Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 44,247 times

Advertisements

I know there are probably a lot of threads similar to this, so I'll try to keep it short.

I currently live in Nashville, TN, but I'm planning on moving to Portland within the next 6 months. I'm 23 and I'm a single female who is about to graduate college. It's time for a change and I feel like it's now or never.

My main reason for moving is that I want to get out of the Bible Belt (no disrespect to those of you who are religious, it just isn't my thing). I want to get out of TN and live in a city that is more liberal and diverse.

What are some ideal neighborhoods for a young, single girl to live in? I would like to meet people who share my interests (music, art, politics) but I realize I'll probably have to spend a lot of time alone when I first move there, and I'm ok with that.

How is the job market? My degree is in Journalism but I wouldn't mind working in a retail store or restaurant...whatever pays the bills.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,055 times
Not to take anything from Portland, but if you just want to live in a liberal and diverse city with an educated population and good job opportunities, you may want to check out Austin. We are also a lot closer to TN

We do not, however, have Portland's beautiful weather and landscape....

Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 PM

403 posts, read 1,119,799 times
That, and Portland is liberal, but not diverse. Never get those two things confused--they are worlds apart...

Old 11-14-2008, 07:05 PM

162 posts, read 513,262 times
Seems like the best place for you would be near Portland State University. That would be where you would meet the most young people. You could actually go to PSU's website and they have a section for housing in the area. It is a really nice area and right on the edge of downtown.

Job market in Portland is not great and some people here will make it sound like a third world country, but there are an abundance of jobs like the ones you described.

Come out for a visit. Portland has alot to offer, much more than any other city I have ever lived in.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 PM

12 posts, read 31,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velouria1085 View Post
I know there are probably a lot of threads similar to this, so I'll try to keep it short.

I currently live in Nashville, TN, but I'm planning on moving to Portland within the next 6 months. I'm 23 and I'm a single female who is about to graduate college. It's time for a change and I feel like it's now or never.

My main reason for moving is that I want to get out of the Bible Belt (no disrespect to those of you who are religious, it just isn't my thing). I want to get out of TN and live in a city that is more liberal and diverse.

What are some ideal neighborhoods for a young, single girl to live in? I would like to meet people who share my interests (music, art, politics) but I realize I'll probably have to spend a lot of time alone when I first move there, and I'm ok with that.

How is the job market? My degree is in Journalism but I wouldn't mind working in a retail store or restaurant...whatever pays the bills.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly Portland has a lot of nice people but there are a lot of people that are only liberal as long as you think just like them and as far as being diverse, well it's just not, not at all.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
I think it is time to ask for a definition of 'diverse', with some examples so I can finally find out if its just me wondering how it is that with all the differing flavors of people that call the Portland area home it still is considered not diverse. Not simply, not diverse but, not diverse at all. I think Livonia, MI where 99% of the population is white is the official most un-diverse city in the country. So, what is 'your' definition of what diversity should look, feel, taste, like?

H

Old 11-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Not to take anything from Portland, but if you just want to live in a liberal and diverse city with an educated population and good job opportunities, you may want to check out Austin. We are also a lot closer to TN

We do not, however, have Portland's beautiful weather and landscape....
I've heard great things about Austin as well, but I'm really trying to get away from all the heat. I would rather deal with rain.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I think it is time to ask for a definition of 'diverse', with some examples so I can finally find out if its just me wondering how it is that with all the differing flavors of people that call the Portland area home it still is considered not diverse. Not simply, not diverse but, not diverse at all. I think Livonia, MI where 99% of the population is white is the official most un-diverse city in the country. So, what is 'your' definition of what diversity should look, feel, taste, like?

H
By diverse, I don't just mean racially. I would just like to meet people with different beliefs, opinions, and interests than most of the people I encounter here... if that makes sense. It seems like a lot of the people in TN have a very conservative mindset and I'd like to get away from that as well.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
When I think of diverse, I think of where I was born; Chicago. I think of different ethnic groups, religions, and people of varying ages living in the same town. I guess I don't see it from a political point of view. In Portland I see more white people than the mix of people I used to see in Chicago. Of course Chicago is a way bigger city but that's what I think of when I think of diversity.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Yes, the representation of Blacks is not high. But Portland has a higher % of Asians and Hispanics than Chicago. One thing to be aware of: there is a lot of intermarriage between racial and religious groups, probably because race and religion are not big things in Portland. I have a Caucasian friend who is married to a man who is Black/Asian.

Politically most describe the city as liberal. Unless you are in politics people don't discuss their politics (or religion for that matter) in a social setting. Social policy such as land use planning, the economy, what to do about street people and like is discussed in some circles.

I agree living around Portland State would give you the most options. You could probably find a roommate situation which would help with expenses and keep you from getting lonely as you build a social circle of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland