Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times

Advertisements

I had sex exactly 12 days ago, right in the middle of my fertile period and a day before ovulation.

My period is supposed to start on the 27th.

I am nauseous, and my breasts are very sore. Sore breasts are normal during PMS, but the nausea is not.

Can I even take a test this early? Will I get a false negative?

I am under extreme stress (starting school, etc), so it may be that?

Help me out ladies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 11:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
There are some sensitive OTC tests, but most will not tell you, reliably, this early on.

I got a definitive positive about three days after my period should have arrived, however. You are generally going to get a more reliable result if you at least wait until a period is missed, at which point there will be more detectable traces of hCG in your urine, if fertilization and implantation have, indeed, occurred. You're not even late, yet.

And, yes, stress can trigger lateness...even if stress over school were not a factor, stress over "am I pregnant?" could be.

Nausea is not necessarily an indicator of pregnancy...there can be any number or reasons for it. Many women don't experience pregnancy-related nausea at all, or, if they do, it begins later in the first trimester.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,761,174 times
^^^Agree with TabulaRasa.

Wait until you have missed your period so if you are supposed to start the 27th, wait until a few days afterwards, unless you are very regular. I am not, so I waited about 5-7 days after I was supposed to start.

And yes, nausea this early, can mean many things, not just pregnancy. I didn't experience it until about 8 weeks and it hit me with full force. Fun.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Thanks ladies.

Mr. Majesty says it's all in my head and I am having psychosomatic symptoms. LOL

I never get nauseous unless I am ill. And I feel fine except for the symptoms above. Smells are also stronger, too. This could all be in my head, though.

My period is like clockwork. I will get a test and wait to take it - although that will kill me.

I am really freaking out.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thanks ladies.

Mr. Majesty says it's all in my head and I am having psychosomatic symptoms. LOL

I never get nauseous unless I am ill. And I feel fine except for the symptoms above. Smells are also stronger, too. This could all be in my head, though.

My period is like clockwork. I will get a test and wait to take it - although that will kill me.

If you really don't want to wait then you could get a few tests from the dollar store. Those are what I used and I'm pretty positive I got a positive (very faint) result before my period was due. In any event, they really are only a dollar, so it doesn't feel as wasteful.

Those could be signs of pregnancy, but they could also just be stress, as you know.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks ladies.

Don't.

What difference is it really going to make in the grand scheme of things if you find out "Maybe" today, knowing it's an unreliable result that doesn't tell you anything definitive, than if you wait a week, when either your period will show up, or it won't, and you're more likely to have measurable levels of hCG in your urine? Or if you wait two weeks, for an even more definitive test? Anything you do now is not going to yield a reliable result, and you won't really necessarily know any more than you do now.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Don't.

What difference is it really going to make in the grand scheme of things if you find out "Maybe" today, knowing it's an unreliable result that doesn't tell you anything definitive, than if you wait a week, when either your period will show up, or it won't, and you're more likely to have measurable levels of hCG in your urine? Or if you wait two weeks, for an even more definitive test? Anything you do now is not going to yield a reliable result, and you won't really necessarily know any more than you do now.

Well, this possible pregnancy would not be a welcome one, so "don't freak out" is not going to happen.

1. I'm impatient by nature.

2. It's best to wait two weeks? If I have enough hormones to have symptoms, shouldn't I have enough to test positive?

3. I need to know as soon as possible, so that I can avail myself of all options.

Also...how late is "late"?

I have been under enormous stress recently and that may very well throw my period off. When should I worry?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Well, this possible pregnancy would not be a welcome one, so "don't freak out" is not going to happen.

1. I'm impatient by nature.
But a "maybe" accurate response won't help, because it won't be reliable.

Quote:
2. It's best to wait two weeks? If I have enough hormones to have symptoms, shouldn't I have enough to test positive?
No, not necessarily (and the symptoms can be symptoms of a multitude of other things, as well)

Quote:
3. I need to know as soon as possible, so that I can avail myself of all options.
Options, overall, don't start to change until much later. The same basic options are available whether an embryo has been implanted for, say, four weeks, as one week. The only option that would no longer be applicable would be a "morning after pill" type intervention, and you're already past that anyway.

Quote:
Also...how late is "late"?
Depends on the regularity of your cycle. For me, "late" was not coming on the exact same day of my cycle it had always come.

Quote:
I have been under enormous stress recently and that may very well throw my period off. When should I worry?
You can and will worry whenever (and it can absolutely throw your cycle off to do so). I'm just noting that home tests are known to be less sensitive to the very minor hormonal fluctuations that occur in the very early weeks of a pregnancy. Blood tests administered by a doctor, on the other hand, will pick up human chorionic gonadotrophin earlier than home tests will in urine. They can show presence of the hormone in as little as a week post-ovulation.

Here is info from womenshealth.gov:

Quote:
HPTs are inexpensive, private, and easy to use. Most drugstores sell HPTs over the counter. The cost depends on the brand and how many tests come in the box. They work by detecting hCG in your urine. HPTs are highly accurate. But their accuracy depends on many things. These include:

When you use them – The amount of hCG in your urine increases with time. So, the earlier after a missed period you take the test the harder it is to spot the hCG. Some HPTs claim that they can tell if you are pregnant one day after a missed period or even earlier. But a recent study shows that most HPTs don't give accurate results this early in pregnancy. Positive results are more likely to be true than negative results. Waiting one week after a missed period will usually give a more accurate result. You can take the test sooner. But just know that a lot of pregnant women will get negative test results during the first few days after the missed period. It's a good idea to repeat the test again after a week has passed. If you get two negative results but still think you're pregnant, call your doctor.
For myself (in the case of a very much wanted pregnancy), I took the first home test a few days after a missed period, and got a positive. False positives are extremely uncommon (false negatives are common, if the test is taken early, but nothing really mimics hCG, so if you get a positive, it's pretty likely to be accurate). But, just in case, took another a week later. Still positive.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But a "maybe" accurate response won't help, because it won't be reliable.

No, not necessarily (and the symptoms can be symptoms of a multitude of other things, as well)

Options, overall, don't start to change until much later. The same basic options are available whether an embryo has been implanted for, say, four weeks, as one week. The only option that would no longer be applicable would be a "morning after pill" type intervention, and you're already past that anyway.

Depends on the regularity of your cycle. For me, "late" was not coming on the exact same day of my cycle it had always come.

You can and will worry whenever (and it can absolutely throw your cycle off to do so). I'm just noting that home tests are known to be less sensitive to the very minor hormonal fluctuations that occur in the very early weeks of a pregnancy. Blood tests administered by a doctor, on the other hand, will pick up human chorionic gonadotrophin earlier than home tests will in urine. They can show presence of the hormone in as little as a week post-ovulation.

Here is info from womenshealth.gov:

For myself (in the case of a very much wanted pregnancy), I took the first home test a few days after a missed period, and got a positive. False positives are extremely uncommon (false negatives are common, if the test is taken early, but nothing really mimics hCG, so if you get a positive, it's pretty likely to be accurate). But, just in case, took another a week later. Still positive.
Thanks. My cycle is like clockwork, with one noteable exception: military boot camp. I didn't get my period the entire time (9 weeks, I think). Obviously due to extreme stress. Perhaps that is what's happening here.

I will take a test on Monday if it hasn't come by then.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 PM

I got my period today!!! I took test this morning and it came back negative, and then I got my period this afternoon.

Thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy