Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 04:56 PM

946 posts, read 1,137,562 times

Advertisements

Having my first one next year and I want to plan financially. In regards to new expenses, such diapers, baby food, baby cloth, crib and other things, what is an estimate on additional costs should I expect during the first year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:00 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
CONGRATULATIONS -- and good for you for thinking ahead!!

It depends on your priorities and what you want to spend. If you buy used stuff, use cloth diapers, and the baby is breast fed, it will not cost nearly as much as if you buy brand new designer stuff and use disposable diapers and formula. It also depends on what kind of insurance you have. Also, don't forget the cost of daycare, which will be your biggest expense, whether you pay for it or lose income because of staying home (unless you and your spouse have different shifts --and good luck with that! -- or if you have someone who is willing to babysit for free, like the baby's grandmother).

Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM

946 posts, read 1,137,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS -- and good for you for thinking ahead!!

It depends on your priorities and what you want to spend. If you buy used stuff, use cloth diapers, and the baby is breast fed, it will not cost nearly as much as if you buy brand new designer stuff and use disposable diapers and formula. It also depends on what kind of insurance you have. Also, don't forget the cost of daycare, which will be your biggest expense, whether you pay for it or lose income because of staying home (unless you and your spouse have different shifts --and good luck with that! -- or if you have someone who is willing to babysit for free, like the baby's grandmother).
How long usually does a mom stays on maternity leave after the baby is born?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:26 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
It usually depends on how long a family can afford for the mom to stay on maternity leave.

I am sorry you are not getting more responses, but I am definitely not the person to ask, as I have never been in your position.

I hope other people will see your post and give you some good answers!

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
FMLA is 12 weeks, but it isn't paid. Disability is paid for 6 weeks for a vaginal birth, 8 weeks for a c-section, and that is not 100% of pay. So it really depends on what they employer will allow and what you can afford.

If you are both going to work, day care will by far be your biggest expense. It varies, but it could be $1-2000/month.

It has been years since I had an infant, so I don't really know the current costs of diapers, etc. Formula will depend on how long/much your wife breastfeeds. Figure the baby will eat about every 4 hours around the clock, and will need a diaper change about as often.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM

153 posts, read 306,060 times
HOnestly, it varies wildly.

You can get a crib at Ikea -- perfectly safe! -- for $100. Or you can spend $1000 on a fancy one. It's up to you. Babies really only need a place to sleep, diapers, and food. And car seats. Daycare is the biggest expense by far. Clothes can be done through consignment, but family often gives you tons of clothes too. Many of the baby registries from stores will tell you that you need so many things you really don't.

I found the book Baby Bargains to be useful in sorting through a lot of the stuff.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Depends.

I am a grad student, So I got no maternity leave. I went back to classes two weeks postpartum so as to avoid getting too far behind, and had to negotiate the two weeks of missed class individually with my professors.

My sister also just had a baby, about two weeks before I did, and while she hoped to do maternity leave through early December, she'll be going back after about eight weeks, because her leave is unpaid, and continuing to sacrifice the income is detrimental. She'd rather take full leave, but it's not affordable.

Our costs are minimal, because we don't require childcare currently. My school schedule is opposite my spouse's work schedule, so someone is always available for baby. We got many pieces of equipment secondhand/as gifts from sibling and friends with slightly older babies, which cut down on costs for us. We did purchase one of our carseats new, as well as crib and changing table, but all were from IKEA and/or military exchange, so quite affordable. I exclusively breastfeed, so no feeding costs now or for quite some time. Clothes have been mainly shower gifts or hand me downs from my one- year- old twin nephews. Diapers were big shower gifts and we received months' worth in various sizes, So that's not been an expense, yet, either.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
You can spend a ton on very fancy baby gear, or you can stick with the basics, especially if the basics are what you can afford. Buy a carseat new, but buy all the other stuff secondhand.

Your biggest expense will be daycare. Expect to pay at least $1000/month for newborn care at a good daycare facility. My husband and I worked opposites so that we wouldn't have to pay for childcare.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Daycare is unreal, and to be honest, there's really probably no way we would have decided to become parents if we were unable to work out a way to minimize our need for daycare. One of us being able to handle childcare needs at this stage was essentially key in our decision to start a family.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
There is no vulnerable consumer like an expectant parent! You don't need most of the stuff that is advertised to you, and what you do need, you can mostly get second hand.

Diapers - I don't recommend cloth diapers. Much more trouble with diaper rash, and it's an aggravating time drain unless you pay for a service. Buy them in bulk at Costco, or use coupons and sales to reduce cost. I would say budget about $1200 for diapers/year. Don't use wipes - wash the baby's bottom with soap and water when they poop. If one of you is home with the baby, you can do early toilet training - look up "elimination communication". It works, and the baby won't have diaper rash.

Breastfeeding is cheap. If you need formula, and don't qualify for WIC, you can buy the generic formula - it's perfectly fine, since the government regulates what goes into formula. You don't need to buy baby food. Puree or mash up fruits and veggies, mince soft meat into tiny bits, start them on adult food mashed up as soon as possible. Again, plan on another $1200/year for formula.

You need a good bucket car seat - see if you can get one from a friend who has a toddler - or buy it new. Don't buy it used, since if it's been in an accident, it might not be safe. Don't get an ancient crib, but anything less than a decade old is probably fine.

Ask for hand me downs. Go to Salvation Army or Goodwill in rich towns for clothing.

Figure out how to do it without daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy