Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In this day and age I have a hard time believing teenage girls still think they can't get pregnant the first time or during a certain time. We are failing our kids-both boys and girls- by not teaching them better how to protect themselves.

CDC study: Many teen moms didn’t think they could get pregnant, didn’t use birth control - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cdc-study-many-teen-moms-didnt-think-they-could-get-pregnant-didnt-use-birth-control/2012/01/19/gIQA9P6zAQ_story.html?hpid=z3 - broken link)
abstinence only programs cleary are the way to go then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Right, because that seems to be working so well.
No that's the issue, a lot of parents like to bury their head in the sand over the topic of sex.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Well, the kids are already inundated with sex ed classes in school, with free condoms, etc., so if its being suggested that we need to dump more money and waste more time in the public schools on this, my answer is, "NO." That doesn't seem to be working so well, either.

How about beginning to boycott some of the TV shows, music and fashion that glamorizes sex without consequences.

What free condoms? I don't recall getting free condoms in school. And you do know that sex ed is not taught in every school? That parents who don't sign for you to take it ~and yes many don't~ means you never have it? That it spends most of the class dealing with puberty and very little to no time on BC methods.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Very true. I wish the Dept. of Educ. would accept this.

I think the public schools' job is to educate kids in the academics.

(BTW, LOL! My daughter won't be "pressured" into anything.)
When it comes to sex parents are most often wrong about their children.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
No that's the issue, a lot of parents like to bury their head in the sand over the topic of sex.
Or fear sending the "wrong message", the message of approval with accurate information.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Or fear sending the "wrong message", the message of approval with accurate information.
Teens are going to have sex whether one arms them with that info or not. People don't make the choices to have sex whether or not their parents might approve of it . It's too much a mix of biology along with personal morals, and the feeling of being ready.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
I think we need to "clean up" our act as society and start modeling better behavior and rewarding better behavior rather than just keep pumping more facts and birth control their way. YMMV
Because everybody knows facts and birth control are bad.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Because everybody knows facts and birth control are bad.
You must have a sore head after all that.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I'm all for the schools preaching abstinence. And after they're done talking about abstinence, they need to talk about how to protect yourself if you decide not to abstain. Parents are not going to suddenly decide to talk to their kids about sex. A lot of parents, especially the ones with strong religious convictions, don't believe their children will have sex before marriage. I used to see lots of those parents in the waiting room at the high-risk ob clinic, reading the bible while waiting for their 12-year-old's prenatal appointments.

I used to belong to a forum where pregnant teens and teens who were afraid they might be pregnant went to get their questions answered. They asked things like, "Can I get pregnant from oral sex?" "If my boyfriend pees inside of me after he (ejaculates) will it wash out the sperms?" "If I shake up a bottle of soda and let it spray inside of me, will that cause a miscarriage?" "What's the age limit for buying condoms?" It was so clear that there were so many kids who never learned anything. And yes, they have the internet and they could educate themselves, but instead they were there trying to get answers from other teens. It was the blind leading the blind. I had to give it up after a while, it was too upsetting to answer the same questions over and over, questions they didn't even think of until they had already had sex.

I went to catholic school, so it's not surprising that I never had any kind of sex ed...but I was amazed to find out that they don't teach it in public school either. My parents were sure that the public schools here were handing out condoms and the pill and giving out the addresses of abortion clinics to all the high schoolers.

My 4th grader came home and said that some of the kids in her class were talking about how they were already having sex. She and I have already talked about the facts of life and birth control, and the important part about being able to respect yourself and treating your body with respect and not letting anyone pressure you into sex when you're not ready. Once I heard that some of her classmates were active (and yes, I know they could have lied, but if they're lying this year, they'll be doing it for real next year), I talked to her about the diseases people can get from sex. We looked at pictures of diseased genitals, we talked about how there are diseases you can't see, we talked about how when you have sex with someone who's had lots of partners, you're getting the germs from the last ten people they've been with, etc. We'll talk more about it as she gets older. We also talk about the teenager across the street, the one who was always having sex with her boyfriend in his car, the one who has a baby now and peeks out her window looking sad while the rest of the teenagers are going to school in the morning.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
Just yesterday I had a student tell the class that her grandmother had told her that you get pregnant from kissing, so she never kissed until she was 15. Then another student said, You're still 15! And she said Oh yeah, I AM 15. It was funny but not.

Kids don't really know how their bodies work. If they are taught at school, and many are not, then it's just like anything else--they learn it for the test and then forget what they were taught.

About 20% of the girls at my school are pregnant or already have babies. Obviously, no one is using abstinence or birth control. I shudder to think of the STD rate, which is among the highest in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy