Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times

Advertisements

Mark that craving in bold! I am 34 weeks pregnant and I simply can't seem to stop craving raw rice! This has been happening for couple of weeks now. Dirt, I stayed away so far but raw rice, am unable to control that.

What should I do?! I am going to call my doctor soon but any tips on how to stop this very disgusting craving?
Please help me out ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Mark that craving in bold! I am 34 weeks pregnant and I simply can't seem to stop craving raw rice! This has been happening for couple of weeks now. Dirt, I stayed away so far but raw rice, am unable to control that.

What should I do?! I am going to call my doctor soon but any tips on how to stop this very disgusting craving?
Please help me out ladies.
Google "pica cravings."

Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Both are pica, and both are fairly accurate indicators of moderate-to-severe iron deficiency anemia. How's your bloodwork?

Ice crunching is an ultra common indicator of anemia, but if you do it over a significant period of time, it can cause stress fractures in your molars and cause them to chip.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 PM

My last blood work was 2 weeks ago as I had to repeat it; we had to repeat the test to see if I indeed have gestational diabetes. Turns out I don't have that GD.
New symptom is that I am having severe breathless-ness. Especially when I lie down. I seem ok when I am sitting or standing.

I am wondering if I should go to ER now or wait until the clinic opens tomorrow. And I am wondering if the cravings and the breathlessness are related.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Weird cravings like that might be a sign of some sort of deficiency - like iron as already mentioned.

If you feel like something is totally off, yes, please go to L&D. Since you are far along, I would skip the ER and go to L&D. Does your OB's office have a 24 hour on-call line? Call first and they will tell you where to go. I've been told, once I reached viability (20+weeks, can't remember the exact # of weeks) then I should go straight to labor & delivery if I had problems.

Your baby could just be dancing on your lungs. It could also be something more serious so I would definitely give the office a call if I were you.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
My last blood work was 2 weeks ago as I had to repeat it; we had to repeat the test to see if I indeed have gestational diabetes. Turns out I don't have that GD.
New symptom is that I am having severe breathless-ness. Especially when I lie down. I seem ok when I am sitting or standing.

I am wondering if I should go to ER now or wait until the clinic opens tomorrow. And I am wondering if the cravings and the breathlessness are related.
You're very close to full term, which means you have a decent sized baby and a lot of fluid that are displacing your organs and presses down on your diaphragm etc. That is what always made me feel breathless, especially with my twin pregnancy. Lying down makes it much worse. Toward the end, I had to sleep in a recliner, kind of upright.

Of course, I am not a doctor and you should always check anything that feels weird with your doc. But the two symptoms you are describing are very common with pregnancy.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Breathlessness is very common at this stage. I'm still about ten weeks out, and I generally have to sleep at least somewhat propped up, even this early.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:34 AM

Thank you ladies. I did not go to ER. Don't have a 24 hour line that connects to on-call doctors office but I left them a message that I will go see them the first thing.
Didn't sleep at all last. When I was finally getting comfortable, it's time to pee. Can't wait for this to be over. It wasn't this hard the first time around. Second pregnancy is taking a toll.

Actually, I am aware that breathlessness is common i late pregnancy. Just that it's a bit severe and even when I open my mouth and take long deep breaths, it didn't seem to help. Am feeling a bit better than last night though.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:49 AM

26 posts, read 34,288 times
Breathlessness is common in late pregnancy. The reason is uterus pushes up the muscle under your lungs that contracts and relaxes in the breathing cycle or some times it may be a symptom of anemia. Check with your doctor once.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyagujraal View Post
Breathlessness is common in late pregnancy. The reason is uterus pushes up the muscle under your lungs that contracts and relaxes in the breathing cycle or some times it may be a symptom of anemia. Check with your doctor once.
OP was 34 weeks on July 21(older thread). Pretty sure she's dealing with other (infant) issues by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy