Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I have decided to start trying to conceive in January. Even though that's 8.5 months away, I want to start reading about what I should be doing to care for my body before, during, and after pregnancy, as well as any other information I can get my hands on. I'll have just turned 32 when we start trying.

So, which books should I purchase and/or check out from the library? What are the must reads?

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,253 times
What to Expect When Expecting is a good one as well as What to Expect The First Year. I pretty much found what I needed in those two books...in fact, they were my only reference books. Oh wait...I also had a baby medical reference book put out by the American Academy for Pediatrics. That was good for sickness.

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times
Thanks! I've heard of "What to Expect When Expecting" before--it sounds like a popular one.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,853 times
The best thing you can do in preparation is just use some common sense. Take a prenatal vitamin, exercise, eat well, and do other things of that nature. The books pretty much all have the same thing in them. But,the first time around it's just so darned interesting that you won't mind a lot of repetition. So, buy several.

Also, I swear those What to Expect the First Year type books are written to scare the bejesus out of you. They make you think your kid is retarded or sure to die soon, when that's not the case. My friend thought this way about the What to Expect When You're Expecting Books, too.

Basically, just relax. Common sense will see you through a lot of it. And, if yours goes missing, then steal your husband's. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I would strongly recommend reading some books about the maternity care health system in America. Jennifer Block's "Pushed" is very good. There were a lot of things I didn't realize about the way the system works until well into my pregnancy (or after the delivery); even if you don't agree with all of her opinions it's still very useful information, and will give some ideas of the questions to ask your doctor (and hospital/birth center/etc.). For example, I didn't realize until late in the game that medical decisions like electronic fetal monitoring, etc., having an IV at the hospital, etc. are often not up to you and your doctor - hospital proceedures can override that, so you want to find both the right doctor/midwife AND the right hospital (or birth center, or whatever) The sooner you read this the better, as it can help you to begin shaping your own philosophy and help you to find a doctor/midwife who is the right fit for you. I know people who didn't realize until very late in the game that they had fundamental differences of opinion with their doctors, and either ended up unhappy or made a last-minute switch to someone else, neither of which is an ideal situation. Obviously the end goal for everyone is a healthy baby and mother, but there are differences of opinion among doctors, midwifes, hospitals, and parents about the details.

The What to Expect When You're Expecting book is a classic, although I don't think it's the best one out there. You can probably pick up a copy for extremely cheap at a local Goodwill or garage sale; I see them all the time around here. Someone gave me a copy of the Mayo's Guide to Pregnancy (or something along those lines - can't remember the exact title) which I ended up liking much better. Maybe head to the library and get an armful, then figure out which ones you like best before you buy them all for yourself. There is a lot of repetition, but it's good to read different views and opinions. Also, my insurance company sent me a copy of one of those week-by-week guide to your baby's development; unfortunately for me I got it two weeks after buying it for myself, so I ended up giving it to my mom. You might get some similar freebies, too.

Still, the absolute one thing I wish I'd read before my baby - before getting pregnant, even - was Pushed or some of the other similar titles out there.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,724 times
the march of dimes website is a great site with tons of information about preconception, pregnancy and birth. www.marchofdimes.com.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
I would say Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a good bet. I would also recommend against any What to Expect books both because they focus on the negatives a lot and scare you, and also because they have some really bad information and advice, especially regarding breastfeeding. I can never understand why they are so popular.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
I had my youngest 4 months ago and previous to that I took some hypnobirthing classes. They gave us a book called "Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method" ; excellent, excellent! I would highly recommend it, even if that's not what you plan on doing it is an excellent book.
P.S. Hypnobirthing is not hypnosis in the traditional sense like most people think

Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM

363 posts, read 1,146,253 times
Quote:
I would also recommend against any What to Expect books both because they focus on the negatives a lot and scare you
Quote:
Also, I swear those What to Expect the First Year type books are written to scare the bejesus out of you. They make you think your kid is retarded or sure to die soon, when that's not the case. My friend thought this way about the What to Expect When You're Expecting Books, too.
That is so interesting that so many feel this way. I guess I am not an alarmist nor was not a nervous new mother so it did not bother me. I used it for reference more than anything...did not read it cover to cover. I had some friends that read every pregnancy book out there which is fine..not being critical. I was just not like that.....

It sounds like you got some other good suggestions. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy