Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,732 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but I figured that being this was about childbirth it was probably okay to post it here.

I was just wondering if anyone has donated cord blood after giving birth?

I kick myself because I was planning on it with my last three kids and because everything was such a whirlwind after the birth I forgot to mention it to the doctors. I wish that the doctors or nurses would have asked, because if they would have I would have said yes to donating it.

I know that a lot of lives have been saved with cord blood and that is why I wanted to donate it so that someone had a chance at having a longer life. I am all about donating and I have kept my family informed that if something should ever happen to me I want my organs and such donated.

If you did donate it, I was wondering how it all went down? Did you sign papers beforehand or did someone ask you if you wanted to donate after the birth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
I think you need to have the whole thing organized well in advance. Your doctor/hospital needs to be on board, and you have to have a collection kit.

I looked at it when I was pg with my most recent, but for whatever reason, did not (I cannot remember if it was not available where I am or for some other reason).

I know with one of my kids the cord blood clotted up so fast the nurse could not extract even a small amount for some blood test they wanted to do.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I think you need to have the whole thing organized well in advance. Your doctor/hospital needs to be on board, and you have to have a collection kit.

I looked at it when I was pg with my most recent, but for whatever reason, did not (I cannot remember if it was not available where I am or for some other reason).

I know with one of my kids the cord blood clotted up so fast the nurse could not extract even a small amount for some blood test they wanted to do.
I guess I should have brought the subject up with my Dr. when I was PG. But I didn't because I thought it would be something they brought up during delivery. I mean the subject of doanting an organ/s is never brought up until the moment someone dies so I guess I assumed the same thing with cord blood.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Yeah, I think its because there is a special collection kit and special banks for it, as opposed to a UNOS registry.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:53 AM

167 posts, read 478,781 times
I did. You call the company and they mail you a kit. You fill out the paperwork and take the kit with you to the hospital. After delivery the doc will collect and seal the bag. You then call the number to the company and a courier comes to the hospital and picks it up. A few weeks after we were home my son received a tshirt, bib, and a little book about donating cord blood in the mail.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
I donated for my first child and intend to for this one too if it works out. Our hospital participates in a program on-site, so you don't need to have a kit or anything in advance. We knew in advance we would do it, but we didn't fill out the papers until we were there at the hospital and there was nothing else we had to do besides sign. Our OB hasn't even asked about it at all this time, and I'm due in 2 days. Unfortunately, they only do the collections if you deliver on weekdays during normal working hours, so if we deliver on the weekend or at 2am, then we can't do it.

Here is a list of participating hospitals:
Where to Donate Cord Blood - find a cord blood bank and participating hospital

Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but I figured that being this was about childbirth it was probably okay to post it here.

I was just wondering if anyone has donated cord blood after giving birth?

I kick myself because I was planning on it with my last three kids and because everything was such a whirlwind after the birth I forgot to mention it to the doctors. I wish that the doctors or nurses would have asked, because if they would have I would have said yes to donating it.

I know that a lot of lives have been saved with cord blood and that is why I wanted to donate it so that someone had a chance at having a longer life. I am all about donating and I have kept my family informed that if something should ever happen to me I want my organs and such donated.

If you did donate it, I was wondering how it all went down? Did you sign papers beforehand or did someone ask you if you wanted to donate after the birth?
We donated the cord blood. It was really a matter of checking the "yes" box on a hospital form. Cord blood banking is a total scam. Excellent way for someone to get money from emotional new parents.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
We donated the cord blood. It was really a matter of checking the "yes" box on a hospital form. Cord blood banking is a total scam. Excellent way for someone to get money from emotional new parents.
I think you mean private cord blood banking is a scam (as opposed to public banking, ie donating).

Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM

Well looking at the list of participating hospitals there doesn't seem to be one at all in WY. So it looks like someone from this state would have to contact the Cryobank to see about donating.

I won't be having any more chances to donate cord blood myself as I was done having kids after my last one was born. But my oldest is talking about getting pregnant again and she and I have been talking about donating the cord blood off and on since her last birth. From the sounds of it, it is something she would like to do too. I'll give her the info. so when she does get PG she can check into it and talk to her Dr. about it.

Even if the blood is only used for research it still can help someone possibly later on because of what they discover with reasearch.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm really glad to see that you all were kind enough to donate. That is great and I'm sure that someone some where has benefitted from your kindness.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 AM

81 posts, read 272,855 times
When I had my youngest son, it was heavily promoted. I wasn't sure if it was very legitimate or not, due to the prices that I have seen for the service. Regarding the poster that said they did it directly through the hospital, that seems much more legitimate to me than some of the other companies that I had seen advertised. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy