Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

A 35-year-old mother of nine is suing a Springfield hospital, three doctors and two nurses, claiming they permanently sterilized her against her will, violating her reproductive rights, according to a lawsuit filed in Superior Court.

Tessa Savicki, who has nine children aged 3 to 21, claims doctors were supposed to implant an intrauterine device, which is a type of reversible birth control, after she delivered a son, Manuel Flores, on Dec. 19, 2006, at Baystate Medical Center.

Mom of 9 cries foul - BostonHerald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
hhhhhmmmmm... This is only a guess, but I wouldn't expect that having an IUD placed IMMEDIATELY after delivering a baby is not possible or recommended. I believe the doctor normally does it in his office. I think it is possible that she agreed to a tubal ligation and didn't understand what she was getting. And, suing because her spermicide didn't work? I guess she doesn't understand "97% effective" or whatever it is. I guess that's what happens when you drop out of HS as a freshman. And was she unconscious during the birth? Normally she'd be awake, even if it was a c-section. Why didn't she realize what was going on.

ETA: I bet she signed the form, found out it was lost, and saw the opportunity for a lawsuit.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,225 times
Yes, she ONLY was able to have 9 children Heaven Forbid.

"This is her second lawsuit over reproductive rights after purchasing spermacide that was expired and failed....."
Sounds like her money ran out from her first lawsuit and she needs another way to support herself besides AFDC (which the article says she recieves for her two children she has at home) and her mother is raising 3 of the 9.

To me this sounds like someone who fell into just another way to get money from some company. Thank GOD I don't know her, she might have a reason to come to my house. If she stubs her toe in my kitchen she would be sueing my homeowners ins. for damages. Geez.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
"Savicki has nine children from several men, is unemployed and relies on public assistance for two of the four children who live with her. She receives supplemental security income, or SSI, for a disability, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, she said. Her mother has custody of three of her children."

What a winner......

Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
IUD

Quote:
How soon after giving birth can a copper IUD be inserted?
Quote:
As soon as your uterus has returned to its normal pre-pregnancy state, usually six to eight weeks. Your clinician can tell you whether you are ready for IUD insertion during your postpartum examination.

If your baby was delivered by cesarean section, your clinician will wait until your uterus is fully healed before inserting an IUD.

Chances are that she did not take an IUD into the delivery room expecting it to be inserted. The doctor would not have agreed to that procedure.

Since insertion of an IUD requires a doctor, where would she have purchased one to take in with her? And what kind of hospital would allow her to take one in to the delivery room where everything is sterile, especially in the event of a C-Section. She handed it to the nurse and it was in a box? C'mon.

Nothing about this rings true.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
She sounds like a low class, sue crazy freeloader.

Quote:
“Savicki said she’s been in a relationship with her fiance, Angel Flores Tirado, 36, since she was 25. She lives with him and the couple’s three children. Tirado helps support the family with his full-time job as a personal care assistant. Savicki said she’s had eight of her nine children while in committed relationships and hoped for one more child with Tirado.
Notice how the current husband doesn't support the family, but HELPS support the family. I guess he's helping taxpayers support the family. Doesn't sound like the woman works.

Quote:
“It’s not like I’m jumping from guy to guy to guy to get pregnant,” she said. “I’m trying to make a healthy home for my children.”
9 kids to multiple fathers with the current boyfriend only being the father of three of the 9. To me, that sounds like jumping from guy to guy.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I'm glad this happened and hope she doesn't profit from this in a significant way.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She sounds like a low class, sue crazy freeloader.

Notice how the current husband doesn't support the family, but HELPS support the family. I guess he's helping taxpayers support the family. Doesn't sound like the woman works.

9 kids to multiple fathers with the current boyfriend only being the father of three of the 9. To me, that sounds like jumping from guy to guy.
Well, certainly no one living off welfare should be having baby after baby expecting the taxpayers to keep paying for it all. I think to stay on welfare, sterilization shouldn't really be a choice.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
I don't think doctors should perform sterilization at the time of birth, unless the request is made prior to labor. When I was told I needed a third c-section after laboring for hours, I was so upset I told the doctor it would have to be the last, and I wanted a tubal. I signed the forms, but, honestly, I was exhausted, disappointed, and physically sick. I regretted it a couple of years later.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't think doctors should perform sterilization at the time of birth, unless the request is made prior to labor. When I was told I needed a third c-section after laboring for hours, I was so upset I told the doctor it would have to be the last, and I wanted a tubal. I signed the forms, but, honestly, I was exhausted, disappointed, and physically sick. I regretted it a couple of years later.
Sounds like this women planned in advance since she walked in with a pre-purchased IUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy