Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,353 times

Advertisements

My A/C quit working, the unit is 12 years old and it is used heavily.

Through budget airconditiong, a on-line site you can purchase units and you need to have a HVAC install it. I can purchase a unit for $2700. It is a 14 seer, 3 ton, with gas heat pump. It comes with standard warranty.

My neighbor bought a new unit and they charged them seven grand. I am not paying seven grand. Their unit is 15 seer. I don't plan to keep my house forever so don't want to spend a arm and leg.

Do you people out there have any suggestions on how I can save money and still have a decent unit.

I can't see any of the businesses wanting to install a unit I have bought because most of their profit comes from selling you a unit that is $3K and charging you $7K.

Thanks,
Smilin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
Do you have a home warranty? If you do, they will pay a portion of that and you can get a little better machine. I'm not related to them in any way, but I used AZ Eddy's AC for my annual checkups and repairs, and when the old unit finally bit the dust, Bob Eddy did a great job of finding me a unit that was good and was approved by my home warranty company. I only had to pay the deductible.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,539,930 times
I would try to buy a Trane. I wish I had. Rheem/Rudd has the worst customer service depart I have ever dealt with. And this comes from a lifetime of doing my own work in home, remodel, and rental property.

Having said that, I am about to replace a Rheem that was installed in the '70s, and is still going. It is still going strong, but the company has changed, and the new ones are not as durable.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,978 times
You can find good deals on new units and installation on Craigs list , it is easy to have your own a/c company so there are a lot of 1-2 man crews that work out of a truck and a lot of guys who work for larger companies that do side jobs.
I used to work in the field so I know this to be true.
I sent you the name of someone I ran into at Costco that does side work and handles new and used installs

Last edited by autism360; 09-20-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,813 times
I'm not crazy about internet buying of a/c equipment but if you want to go that route, Alpine home air products are the best to deal with.
Is this an all in one package unit, or split system?

Alpine deals with Goodman products and I have installed many with almost zero problems. They among others had a problem with leaking copper/ aluminum evaporator coils but now they have gone to an all aluminum coil and solved the problem.

Also, make sure you dont go with an oversized unit. In fact, you can do a few things to tighten up the house, insulation etc and go with a smaller unit. Smaller unit=cheaper power bill. Longer run times are much more efficient and comfortable than a unit that cycles off and on too frequently.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
I purchased mine from Home Depot and they have their own installers who did a wonderful job. I paid about $3800 for a 14 seer including install, haul away, wall restoration (they had to cut a hole in the ceiling to get in the attic) and new thermostat and metallic filter. Best thing was 18 months no interest on the credit card.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,353 times
TY, PhxBarb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: