Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

Former NFL star turned actor Bubba Smith dies - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqnzrMTow_mLxz6cQdn3.PtDubYF?slug=ap-obit-bubbasmith - broken link)

I'm not old enough to remember his football career, but I did grow up watching him in the Police Academy series. Sounds like he was a hell of a football player, with speed to go with his size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 AM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Default "Kill Bubba Kill"

Thoughts on Bubba Smith.

There are players who are very worthy of HOF consideration who didn't make it because of injuries that basically done them in early; players like Bo Jackson and Terrell Davis. Those players however are pretty fresh in peoples minds. There are others that only old schmeezers like me, or better yet guys like Steve Sabol (President of NFL films) and Paul Zimmerman (senior writer of Sports Illustrated) and Al Davis who recall players like Rich Jackson of the Denver Broncos as the best player not in the HOF.

Bubba Smith is one of those guys. He came out of Michigan State and was just a dominator. Back in the mid 60's Michigan State had some great football teams. To this day I still remember the Spartan fans chanting "Kill Bubba Kill" after he made a tackle or a sack. After being drafted #1 by the Baltimore Colts in the 1967 draft, he immediately became an impact player. If he didn't have that knee injury he could have been rated up there with Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, "Mean" Joe Green, and Gino Marchetti as being the best of the best on the defensive line.

The injury? The Baltimore Colt team physicians termed it as a "bowl of spaghetti" when they looked at the x-ray. He ripped his knee up in a meaningless exhibition game in his fourth season, as his leg got tangled up with a yard marker and the chain. He was eventually traded to the Oakland Raiders straight up for tight end Raymond Chester as by this time future HOFer John Mackey was gone and eventually named president of the NFLPA. Bubba finished his career as a Houston Oiler. He was able to play eight seasons but those last few seasons were painful to me to watch. I grew up a Baltimore Colts fan (before the AFL was formed and also rooted for Denver) as a kid. What could have been did not pan out. He didn't lose desire or strength. He lost his lateral movement. Sad.

Fortunately he found his niche as an actor. And I also enjoyed the Miller "Lite" commercials he done with Dick Butkus as well.

RIP, Bubba.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
^^^I remember those funny Miller Lite commericals with Bubba and Dick Butkus. I also remember the Police Academy movies, of course. I always liked Bubba and I'm sorry to hear about this. RIP Bubba!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
FYI...

Bubba Smith died of drug intoxication, coroner says

Quote:
According to the coroner's report, the 66-year-old Smith had high levels of the weight-loss drug phentermine in his system. Phentermine is commonly used in diet drugs as an appetite suppressant.

The autopsy also found Smith's heart to be enlarged, weighing twice as much as a normal heart, with some of the arteries around his heart blocked by as much 75 percent. Smith also suffered from high blood pressure, according to the report.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
A nice guy, although his career never quite lived up to the expectations held for him. After he was traded from Baltimore, he was never really an effective player again..

Funny that he and Butkus had abbreviated careers, as Butkus was finished by '73, and not really effective either during his last 2-3 seasons..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I remember Bubba Smith! My dad always followed all the midwest schools, he and my mom used to bet on the games!

I just find some of the stories about athletes, health issues, passing away too young (I consider 60's young), very sad.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Thanks for the update Drob4JC!

Like Susancruzs, I'm saddened by this situation as well. From what I have read on other sites he suffered from an enlarged heart and had hypertension for many years.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Bubba was a cool player. IIRC he disliked the chant "Kill Bubba Kill" but I'm glad I got to see him play at old Memorial Stadium.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:57 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Great player.

Got his autograph at FRIENDSHIP Airport when the Colts had returned after a playoff game.

He was good in the very short-lived TV comedy, "Open All Night".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football