Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do during your team's bye week?
I'm a fan! I watch the NFL regardless! 21 91.30%
I'm on a bye week, too--spend time with family and do chores... 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, there's a soothing sense of tranquility during the bye week that I savor. For one week I don't have to fret over injuries or game plans, or who the opponent is. I can simply watch football and enjoy the games without being so high-strung. I always hope for a good NFC North matchup to be televised, because when the Steelers aren't playing, I enjoy watching NFC North games, partly because they're among the NFL's charter teams, but also because the mainstream sports media doesn't shove any of them down our throats (although they might start shoving the Packers down our throats if they keep winning). I also like to order a pizza and some chicken wings so I can eat during the game. I'm so high-strung when the Steelers play that I just drink a soft drink or tea to calm my stomach. I look forward to the second weekend of November, when the Steelers finally get their bye.
This is pretty much exactly how I am. Sometimes I don't eat the whole day.

Apart from bye week the best weeks have been the year after the SB wins when Pitt played on the first Thursday. Made Sunday just like a bye week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
As a Giants fan, I have to say that I played tennis and basketball with my girlfriend. This arrangement works because she is a Patriots fan, and they were also on bye week.

The only game I watched yesterday was the evening game, where I picked up Curtis (Jeff Spicoli) Painter as a one game fill in in my fantasy league. I figured I would watch some of this game, and wound up watching basically a quarter and a half. Luckily, we did not need Mr. double cheese and sausage to score us points, as our game was already won.

I used to watch during the Giants bye game for the purposes of fantasy football, but I think the zeal to watch solely based on fantasy football are beginning to wane. I'd just as soon spend the day outside, and enjoy life.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
Usually when the Browns are on bye week I still watch football just for the sake that I love watching football. But when the Browns don't play there's just a different feeling about watching the games. I like watching the games, but it's different from when I watch the Browns because I'm extremely focused and into the game when they play. Then watching the 4:05 games I'm either extremely happy because the Browns won or am pissed off because they lost.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Luckily the Texans & Ravens hardly have the same bye's (this year the Ravens had one of the first bye week's and the Texans have the last bye week). I don't really watch NFL football at all anyways, the only reason I'm watching is to see those teams. Those weeks I just watch the red zone channel.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is pretty much exactly how I am. Sometimes I don't eat the whole day.

Apart from bye week the best weeks have been the year after the SB wins when Pitt played on the first Thursday. Made Sunday just like a bye week.
Yeah, Thursday night and Saturday night games are the best because I can relax on Sundays. Sunday nights are the worst because I'm held in suspense the entire day. Monday nights aren't as bad as Sunday nights, but there's still a small degree of suspense knowing that your team is finishing up the week. I also like "early" Sunday games better than "late" games because after an early game, I can relax and coast into the late games and the Sunday night game. On the other hand, a late game precludes relaxation during any of the early games.

The 2008 season was pure torture, not just because the Steelers suffered a litany of injuries during the first half of the season, or the fact that the schedule that season was severe, but mainly because of the scheduling. The Steelers had a Thursday night game that season, but only four early Sunday games. On the other hand, they had two Sunday night games, two Monday night games, and seven -- seven! -- late Sunday games. You'd think that Pittsburgh was located in the Mountain or Pacific time zone all of a sudden. I felt lucky that I didn't develop an ulcer, and at least I was reimbursed with a Super Bowl championship to end the season.

But still, please, can the Steelers play at least half their games early on Sunday from now on?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Honestly, there's a soothing sense of tranquility during the bye week that I savor. For one week I don't have to fret over injuries or game plans, or who the opponent is. I can simply watch football and enjoy the games without being so high-strung. I always hope for a good NFC North matchup to be televised, because when the Steelers aren't playing, I enjoy watching NFC North games, partly because they're among the NFL's charter teams, but also because the mainstream sports media doesn't shove any of them down our throats (although they might start shoving the Packers down our throats if they keep winning). I also like to order a pizza and some chicken wings so I can eat during the game. I'm so high-strung when the Steelers play that I just drink a soft drink or tea to calm my stomach. I look forward to the second weekend of November, when the Steelers finally get their bye.
Well, I hope you will be alright this weekend with the Steelers playing the Patroits. I know that can't be good for the stomach...

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Well, I hope you will be alright this weekend with the Steelers playing the Patroits. I know that can't be good for the stomach...
Maybe it's resignation, but I'm really not very worried. If the Steelers win, awesome, but if they don't, well nobody's expecting them to. About the only way I'd be pissed off is if the Steelers either had the lead for most of the game and blew it in the end, or just got their doors blown off and were never in the game. I'll be a bit higher-strung the two weeks after that since the Steelers will be playing division rivals.

The NFL schedule is kind of weird this season. There are bye weeks from Week 4 through Week 9, but everybody plays Week 10, and then the last of the byes come Week 11, the Sunday before Thanksgiving. The Steelers have one of those extra-late byes too. Why didn't they just schedule the last remaning byes for Week 10?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Maybe it's resignation, but I'm really not very worried. If the Steelers win, awesome, but if they don't, well nobody's expecting them to. About the only way I'd be pissed off is if the Steelers either had the lead for most of the game and blew it in the end, or just got their doors blown off and were never in the game. I'll be a bit higher-strung the two weeks after that since the Steelers will be playing division rivals.

The NFL schedule is kind of weird this season. There are bye weeks from Week 4 through Week 9, but everybody plays Week 10, and then the last of the byes come Week 11, the Sunday before Thanksgiving. The Steelers have one of those extra-late byes too. Why didn't they just schedule the last remaning byes for Week 10?
We are definitely on the same wave length. I've kind of convinced myself they won't win so I can't really be upset. If they win I will be estatic.

But if they do lose and then lose to the Ravens the next week I will really be in the dumps.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Depends on the other games on tv.

Otherwise, I'll read comics, watch a movie, read some books, maybe go somewhere.

ALthough now I have to study on the weekends (sigh).

Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
We are definitely on the same wave length. I've kind of convinced myself they won't win so I can't really be upset. If they win I will be estatic.

But if they do lose and then lose to the Ravens the next week I will really be in the dumps.
If the Steelers lose to the Ravens a second time -- it's only happened once in the 15 years that the Ravens have existed -- then I'll be sure to tune out the mainstream sports media in this country until Thanksgiving, and any Steelers-related message boards until after their next win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football