Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

I find college ball to be more of a back-to-basics, visceral display of football and just more enjoyable to watch. While you can't deny the incredible athleticism in the NFL, their game is so polished and coordinated that it looks like a ballet by comparison. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,077,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I find college ball to be more of a back-to-basics, visceral display of football and just more enjoyable to watch. While you can't deny the incredible athleticism in the NFL, their game is so polished and coordinated that it looks like a ballet by comparison. What do you think?
College FB is exciting to watch but I just hate the system. When you have a weekend like the one that just passed the season is over just like that for so many teams. Teams that could of just had a bad day and lets face it folks it happens are out of the running for a national championship. I hate that about the college game. It would be so much better with some sort of playoff. This topic will be debated until the world comes to an end but it will probably never change. I think that Florida still could potentially be the best team in the country. They are worthy of national championship consideration but if things dont fall perfectly into place they wont be considered. Then on the flip side Hawaii.....They can win every game and they probably will and they wont be considered because of the conference they play in. I just dont think its fair.

In the NFL every team has a chance to play in the Superbowl. The Pats can have an off week and still win it all. Thats the reason why I love the NFL. Everything doesnt ride on one game at the start of the season. And everyone has a shot.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Well it's easier to manage a playoff system for 32 teams than it is for 100+ teams. Football really takes its toll on a man's physical well-being (try to find a veteran NFL starter who lives without daily discomfort even 20 years after retirement), and the number of games they'd have to play in order to have a genuinely fair playoff regime just isn't realistic, reasonable or even safe. Teams in weaker divisions can try to bolster their rankings by arranging match-ups with teams in tougher conferences for their non-conference games. It may not be ideal, but the rankings system basically works. If anything, the current system is more forgiving of "one bad day" than being eliminated from championship contention due to "one bad day" during the playoffs.

Plus, I don't think it's "over" for that many teams for which it shouldn't realistically be over. There's still a lot of football to be played, and a lot can happen. I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, to watch Michigan work its way back into the top 10 by the time the season is over (they'd certainly have to beat Ohio State for that to happen though). Florida still has a shot at making it to the BCS championship, particularly if they can beat LSU this weekend and depending on how other highly ranked teams perform over the rest of the season. I'd even welcome it if it means Ohio State doesn't win the championship. That entire school is just one giant a-hole.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:21 AM

Here is a fairly instructive article making the point more concisely than I did that losing a game doesn't necessarily knock you out of championship contention.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
I am one of the few in New England who definitively finds the college brand far more exciting. But that statement comes with a bunch of "buts". I watch just as much NFL more so becuase of the fantasy football aspect. It also helps to know the players. With the huge rosters and number of players garnering significant playing time, as well as when they leave for the NFL/graduate, it is hard for me to identify many players. The other issue is that too many college football games mean nothing if you are trying to watch a game with significance to the championship chase. You often hear about how the regular season is so meaningful compared to other sports, but I always have to ask "for whom?" If its two undefeateds, than nothing is better for regualr season drama in any sport! But when ESPN hypes some showdown between two top ten teams vying for a certain bowl and conference championship, but yet both teams have lost two games and I am neutral observer, why would I care? Something needs to be said for the fact that you just want to enjoy a good game, but I have a difficult time getting as excited for any potential bowl match-up unless it is the national title game. The rest of the bowls are nothing more than exhibition contests.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,239 times
Stuntman....ITA.....The bowl games besides the national championship game are bogus. Who cares about the meaningless Aloha or Heritage Bowl? Its such a stupid concept. It's all about the money to the NCAA and we know that. None of the other college sports are run this way.

What is the most exciting time of the year in college sports?.......Why March Madness of course. And the reason is because you can sit back each year and cheer for your Winthops and George Masons. Teams that are good in small confrences have a shot at the championship. Sure George Mason didnt win, but they put up a great run and made it really exiciting for the fans. We can cheer for Hawaii all we want, but they will go undefeated and wont have a shot at the national championship. To me it just simply isnt fair. Your Hawaii's and Boise States and TCU's know that they dont have a shot to win the national championship from the very beginning no matter how good their team is and that sucks in my opinion.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
I prefer college ball. Furthermore, I love playoffs and championship games. I went to a Div I-AA school for undergrad, so I got the best of both worlds. Solid football action and playoffs. I love it.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
[quote=princesspolamalu;1647544]

What is the most exciting time of the year in college sports?.......Why March Madness of course. And the reason is because you can sit back each year and cheer for your Winthops and George Masons. Teams that are good in small confrences have a shot at the championship. Sure George Mason didnt win, but they put up a great run and made it really exiciting for the fans.

Could not agree more. College basketball is dearest to my heart. I like college football too, but more just to sit and relax on those days I'm not out & about on the weekends, and I jsut don't pay alot of attention to bowls and polls. The championship chase when it comes to basketball is to me, serious business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football