Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I predict the difference in the SB will be some missed FGs by the 49ers. With the tightness of Baltimore's Red Zone Defense and the record of the 49ers kicker, Baltimore may be the favorite.
Baltimore is the underdog by the last I checked aro 4 1/2.. over/under 49.....that line certainly will move in the next two weeks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
The kicker for 49ers was reason they won games last year, when SF was playing more conservatively with Alex Smith. Most kicks, longest kick and this year Akers hit a slump, he is a good kicker but definitely could make difference.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
6 - 0 > 6 - 2

when it comes right down to it, the Steelers bolted the tougher conference years ago in an attempt for easier pickings

go San Francisco
During the 1970's, the Cowboys, Vikings and Rams were the class of the NFC, and the Steelers wiped their asses with each of them in the Super Bowl. For that matter, the Raiders did the same to the Vikings, and they more than likely would have done the same to the other two if only they could have gotten through the Steelers more than once that decade. If anything, the NFL is lucky the Steelers switched to the AFC; otherwise half the Super Bowls in the 1970's would have been between the Steelers and the Raiders. Good job by the Cowboys beating the Dolphins and Broncos, though. At least we know that the best team in the NFC during the 1970's was better than the third- and fourth-best teams in the AFC. If the Steelers had any "easy pickings" that decade, it was their NFC opponents in the Super Bowl.

By the way, do you know what the real tiebreaker is between teams with an equal number of Lombardi Trophies? Halas/Hunt Trophies. The Steelers have eight Hunt Trophies; the 49ers only have six Halas Trophies. Thanks for playing. There's no reason to hold the 49ers in higher esteem than the Steelers if they've been to the Super Bowl less often. Hell, the Bears, Ravens, Buccaneers and Saints are all undefeated in the Super Bowl; does that make them better than the Steelers during the Super Bowl era? No. And don't count your chickens before they hatch either; you're still only on five, and there's no guarantee that you'll get your sixth either. And if you do, then you'll still only be "1B" during the Super Bowl era.

Oh yeah, as for "NFC superiority," winning 13 Super Bowls in a row during the 1980's and 1990's still only gives you a 25-21 advantage all-time, and it was a mere 22-21 advantage after the Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. You're marginally better all-time. Leave the obnoxious conference hyperbole to the SEC.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 01-21-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
During the 1970's, the Cowboys, Vikings and Rams were the class of the NFC, and the Steelers wiped their asses with each of them in the Super Bowl.
The Steelers struggled most of SB XIV against the Los Angeles Rams. They (Steelers) were behind going into the 4th Quarter. They did end up winning, but it wasn't a one sided game by any means...

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The Steelers struggled most of SB XIV against the Los Angeles Rams. They (Steelers) were behind going into the 4th Quarter. They did end up winning, but it wasn't a one sided game by any means...
Well if they could struggle and still win by double-digits, then that just illustrates how dominant they were.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
the Bears, Ravens, Buccaneers and Saints are all undefeated in the Super Bowl

Last I checked the Bears lost to the Colts in the SB XLI, so they are 1-1. Jets, Bucs, Ravens and Saints 1-0.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
the Bears, Ravens, Buccaneers and Saints are all undefeated in the Super Bowl

Last I checked the Bears lost to the Colts in the SB XLI, so they are 1-1. Jets, Bucs, Ravens and Saints 1-0.
Ah, K. Replace "Bears" with "Jets" then. My point stands.

I honestly forgot the Bears lost Super Bowl XLI; the game was that forgettable.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Baltimore is the underdog by the last I checked aro 4 1/2.. over/under 49.....that line certainly will move in the next two weeks.....
I'm seeing 4 and 48.
One of the broadcasters pointed out that the SF field goal kicker has had trouble in-doors this year.
He made 29 field goals this season but missed 13.

Made 2 out of 3 at Minnesota.
Made 2 out of 3 at St. Louis.
Made 1 out of 3 at New Orleans.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
I'm pulling for the Ravens for several reasons

- San Francisco just won the World Series. Spread the championships around! I was so annoyed with sports when Boston seemed to win a championship every 3 months with the Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins.

- I want Flacco to win the big one. People have been excessively critical of him.

- I know some people are just more animated than others, but Jim Harbough annoys me . . . a lot.

- Speaking of animated, I really want Ray Lewis to go out with a super bowl win even though I know he's not the kind of guy who will cry & sulk for days if he loses. He's a better man than that & he'll pick himself back up if they lose, which is one reason why I love pulling for him. He's an inspiration.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I really want Ray Lewis to go out with a super bowl win even though I know he's not the kind of guy who will cry & sulk for days if he loses. He's a better man than that & he'll pick himself back up if they lose, which is one reason why I love pulling for him. He's an inspiration.
Denver was a heavy favorite and lost at home.
New England was a heavy favorite and lost at home.

It may be destiny that Ray Lewis goes out a winner.

SF's defense is suspect.
Baltimore held NE to 13 lousy points, on at least 5 trips inside the 20.

Harbough vs. Harbough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football