Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times

Advertisements

Shocking. Really shocking.

He's leaving the game with the hopes of living a long and healthy life. Good for him, but can't say that I would make the same decision if I were in his shoes. This kid was all the rage last season too. Supposed to be the replacement for Patrick Willis. Was going to make the loss of Willis less painful. Brutal off-season for the 49ers. But this story is certainly larger than just the 49ers team.

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland retires over head injury concerns - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
Chris Borland is a very intelligent guy-----we have followed his career at Wisconsin, being from Wisconsin myself.

Weighing everything, he felt the continual blows to his head and resultant concussions were just not worth the risk. He passed on the big money and fame for the security in knowing that he can walk away and be able to walk and think down the rode.

It is a rough decision, but I give him credit from walking away from a bundle of cash. Good luck Chris, and if you feel comfortable that this is indeed the right decision for you, go for it.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times
Wow! As a Seahawks fan it kind of makes me happy, but I'm also sad because he was one of the very best young DLs in the league. It looks like the 49ers might be in the cellar for awhile.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:21 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
Brandon Spikes to 49ers? Post Harbaugh age.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Given the rise of CTE, thirty-three former NFL players diagnosed post-mortem according to Wikipedia, I cannot say his decision is shocking. After sustaining a concussion and looking at recent history, Borland certainly had a lot to think about and weighed his options.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Living in Wisconsin, major conversation on the local radio/TV stations today. Some are saying it is more than concussions, he has a shoulder issue, too. I take him at his word and think it is more CTE related. He can take the money he made, invest it, and do other things. Being in the NFL, around other players, behind the scenes, knowing using drugs can enter the picture, he made a decision he feels is right for him.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Wow! As a Seahawks fan it kind of makes me happy, but I'm also sad because he was one of the very best young DLs in the league. It looks like the 49ers might be in the cellar for awhile.
As a 49er fan, while I am a bit shocked by the mass exodus, I do think its premature to throw in the white flag. The 49ers are still loaded with talent. They actually improved at WR by signing Torrey Smith....big upgrade from Michael Crabtree. Gore was very talented, but he's 32 years old and they have been grooming Hyde for a while as his replacement. With strong receivers, running backs and if Vernon Davis turns out his typical strong season (last season was a fluke), their offense cannot do anything but improve.

I think they can replace their corners with as good or better talent fairly easily.

Borland was indeed a rising star, but lets not forget that Willis was injured most of the year and Bowman was out the entire year. They can pretty easily draft another strong LB and be better than they were last year.

On paper, I actually think they're better than they were last year. Heck, its pretty tough not to be. Now, the issue of chemistry could come into play, along with Kaep's maturity and that'll be telling early this season.

On the other hand, let's not pretend that Seattle has this on lockdown. Yes, they signed Jimmy Graham. However, they had to give up their pro-bowl center in the process. Let's see if Wilson is still as effective with a weakened offensive line. Also, let's see if Graham looks as good with Wilson as he did under one of the top 2-3 QB's in the league, while in NO.

I'm not saying that Seattle won't be tough. They're always a contender. However, I think its going to be a lot closer in the NFC West then expected and the Niners will be a playoff threat at the very least.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
I doubt he is retiring, only quitting playing football, there is a difference!

Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Good for him. Health comes first. Not even a promise of millions can change that for many people.

The Niners will survive. How effectively, we'll see. But play goes on.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I have full respect for Borland's decision to retire to protect his health.

There was an article in the Wash Post about his decision being the beginning of the end in the NFL amid Patrick Willis and Jake Locker retiring at early ages too. 4 guys retiring out of 1700+ players in the NFL is not the beginning of the end for football. The NFL will never run out of guys willing to risk their bodies for millions of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football