Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:21 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-agreement-nfl

Dare I say.. This is the smartest thing I've seen from anyone trying to be a 'spring' league in quite some time

A partnership agreement between the XFL and NFL has been signed. Doesn't look like player sharing/development is a part of it.. And they say that won't happen, but.. They won't sign quality players if they don't give them an opportunity to go to the NFL. Perhaps they'll have them under 1 year contracts or something so that if an NFL team does want to pick them up, they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 11:19 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Article in today's NY Times Athletic, titled "Can Dwayne Johnson’s XFL be the one that finally avoids hitting rock bottom?"

Excerpts:
Quote:
The XFL is hoping the third time will be a charm. ... The latest iteration of the spring football league kicks off its third “inaugural” season Saturday with a host of rules changes and heightened access, including allowing fans to listen in on coach-to-player communications and the internal discussions on replay challenges.

The first XFL version, positioned as an NFL fall rival, buckled under plummeting TV ratings and lasted one season in 2001 with NBC-WWE ownership — a $70 million failure.

It relaunched as a spring league in early 2020, owned this time by WWE leader Vince McMahon, only to fold after five weeks because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In bankruptcy court later in 2020, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, his ex-wife Dany Garcia and sports fund RedBird Capital Partners acquired the XFL’s intellectual property for $15 million (a fraction of the more than $200 million McMahon invested), then built slowly over the next 2 1/2 years, leading to this weekend’s first four games.

Here are some links I found for the XFL:

- The XFL website is here.

- The 2023 XFL schedule is here:
Ten weeks of play and two weeks to have a playoff and championship game. Four games this weekend, two each on Saturday and Sunday.

- Wikipedia page is here. It's a once over the world explanation of the teams, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:21 PM

Dwayne is a smart guy. Business sense AND common sense.. Which seems to be a rare combo.

I will say, if anyone is going to make this work, it'll be him.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:39 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
I thought the USFL was back. Fox has been running promos for their games.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post

Both have been back, off and on, for a couple of years.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
The USFL's second season doesn't start until April 15th and it goes for 2 months until June 18th.

The XFL regular season is going to run from February 18th until April 23rd.

The USFL seems to be a mid-spring to early summer league, while the XFL is a late winter to mid-spring league.

It will be interesting to see if both survive long-term, at least both have broadcast deals with major outlets.

I think one of the big differences is where teams will be playing. Last year, I think almost all of the USFL games were played in Birmingham except for the playoffs/championship?

This year it seems like the USFL will play games in Memphis, Birmingham, Canton and Detroit, while the XFL will actually be playing in the home cities they represent.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:55 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
I've never watched the XFL. Going to check it out this afternoon. Anyone have any opinions from the games yesterday?

Old 02-19-2023, 10:01 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I've never watched the XFL. Going to check it out this afternoon. Anyone have any opinions from the games yesterday?
Like watching two bad high school teams.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Like watching two bad high school teams.
Just look at how truly bad some NFL teams are each year, and the NFL supposedly has the best of the best players.

I think people watching and/or going to XFL or USFL games are not too concerned about "quality", since most realize, if any of the players in the XFL or USFL were really good, they wouldn't be there and be considered NFL rejects!

Sure, every 20-30 years you might have a "Kurt Warner story", but he is the exception and not the rule.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:45 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
^ I totally agree with you. The fans want to see football. I don't think they care who is playing, they want to see the game and scoring, excitement, a back and forth game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football