Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of Winston hate out there, which carried over from his antics in college. Those same people seem to believe he would be a total bust in Tampa. I'm not a Bucs fan, but I was thought he deserved a chance to prove himself. I know the Bucs are 3-4 but there seems to be a lot of potential there. With todays win over a very good Falcons team, can we finally admit that Winston is a decent QB and can only get better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
With todays win over a very good Falcons team, can we finally admit that Winston is a decent QB and can only get better?
But are they? They already lost to the saints right? And now the Bucs. Barely squeaked by the Titans last week. Is the honeymoon over for Dan Quinn? It's the beauty of the NFL being a 16 game season. Teams get anointed good for quick starts but can just as quickly come crashing down.

I never doubted Winston but it's probably a bit early yet to admit he is good. How good are you anointing him?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
No, I'm not ready to declare that Winston is a very good QB, just because he beat a Falcon team that is fading. It's going to take a few seasons of stellar performance before he earns a chance to get my respect.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 PM

17,572 posts, read 15,237,377 times
I'm not ready to anoint him as the second coming.. He's played 2 good games in a row. But.. Let's see how he does the next 4 games. Giants, Dallas, Eagles and Colts. I'll be especially interested to see him against the Giants defense, who.. Usually play tough (this week being an exception)..

Giants eat rookie QBs.

And.. There's no playbook on him yet.. We can make a long list of 'the next great thing' in the past couple of years.. RG3, Kaepernick, etc that have been figured out.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:34 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Who really have the Falcons beaten?? Let's take a look:
Week 1: 28-26 over the Eagles (3-4). Eagles are a dumpster fire and they won with less than a minute to play, IIRC
Week 2: 24-20 @ Giants (4-4). Second time in 2 weeks the Giants blew a double digit 4th quarter lead.
Week 3: 39-28 @ Dallas (2-5). Was without Romo & Bryant and they are terrible without Romo. Also trailed 17-7 or 21-7 in this game as well.
Week 4: 48-21 over the Texans (3-5). Texans are not a very good team
Week 5: 25-19 over the Redskins (3-4). They scored late, only to have the Redskins march down the field and hit a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation before they won with an interception returned for a TD in overtime.
Week 7: 10-7 @ Tennessee (1-6). Were down 7-3 to a team that was starting Zach Mettenberger.

I'd say NOT 1 of those wins was against a good team, with the Giants being the "best" team of the bunch.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,447 times
The Saints aren't bad though. They had a rough start, but clearly they're a decent team.

So what if the Falcons haven't beaten great teams? Beating Philly, NY, and Houston is respectable.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
winston has the tools to be a very good NFL QB, that is a given. however before we anoint him, lets see what he does the rest of this season, and what he does in his next few seasons, shall we? RGlll was supposed to be the second coming, and look what happened to him. same with ryan leaf, among others. if winston keeps improving over the next few years, and turns in performances like andrew luck, then we can say he is a top tier QB. until then though, lets wait and see.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
can we finally admit that Winston is a decent QB and can only get better?
Miker.. by stating 'finally' that implies there is some long-standing resistance to praising Winston as an NFL QB. But Winston has been in the pros for less than half a season.. It hasn't been a long, arduous time, where people are reticent to praise him.
I think Winston's sampling is too small so far. Quarterbacking takes a while both to evaluate & cultivate. I think that's a big problem in the contemporary NFL. Quarterbacks are praised, or discarded, to quickly.
Remember fans wanted to chase eventual Hall-of-Famer Bradshaw out of Pittsburgh bcuz his start was rocky.. & meatheads in the Redskin Nation tried to anoint RG Knee the next Montana after his rookie year.
I think we should hold this conversation off for a while, but..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Good replies folks.

Lol, I never said "anoint", rather to admit that he has the tools to be a good QB in the NFL. More so to his detractors that seem to want to him fail because of his antics in college. Seems like he's kept his nose clean, and is incrementally getting better each week. Yes he's not the rookie QB that will light it up in the first season, I don't think we've seen one like that in 10+ years? I know a lot of Bucs fans were not happy with the draft, but all in all they could have done worse, and if he has the right system around him he should do well - unfortunately it is the Bucs so chances that happens is slim.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
But but he's a bust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football