Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2021, 08:47 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that history has shown that despite all the effort put in by teams (and sports media analysts), it's just not that easy to predict NFL success or failure, from college performance and the NFL combine metrics. There are as many misses as hits, and it goes both ways - players that are top ranked who bomb in the NFL, and players who are lightly regarded who do very well.

All that said, I really like the acquisition of Alabama QB Mac Jones by the Patriots in the first round of this year's draft. Even if he doesn't become an enduring starter for them, they didn't overpay to get him - didn't move up to get him by trading away other draft picks. So if he's a miss, that's not going to set the franchise back much.

Moreover, he does show promise. Bright kid apparently, he had a 4.0 GPA and still got his bachelor's in 3 years, and then picked up a master's degree as well in his 4th year there. He's said to have a very good mind for football, thinks well on his feet and makes good decisions.

His last year at Alabama is where he really excelled. It was his only full year playing as a starter, and he threw for 4,500 yards, with 41 TDs and just 4 INTs, and an outstanding completion percentage of 77%. He's not supposed to be the biggest, strongest, fastest, or most athletic QB, so not a big threat with his feet, and mostly an "old-fashioned" pocket passer.

This isn't the profile that most teams are looking for. On the other hand, at first glance, it's a little bit like you'd describe Tom Brady coming out of college. I'm not saying Mac Jones will be the next Tom Brady. They are two different people, and whoever Mac Jones will be as an NFL QB remains to be seen. But, I can certainly see why the Patriots were interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fhttS706yc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 10:32 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
This could go in the Patriots team thread?

Old 05-01-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
This could go in the Patriots team thread?
I suppose it could, but I didn't see one?

Old 05-01-2021, 01:28 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
it could also be in the " yea Alabama thread " but everything posted in there gets deleted for being fanboyism "

Old 05-01-2021, 03:54 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I suppose it could, but I didn't see one?
Didn't see one? You were the last to post in the Patriots thread. Less than a month ago.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
The Pats are going to need a whole lot more than that. This is going to be a multi-year rebuilding process and I doubt they ever get back to the consistent level they had for 20 years.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The Pats are going to need a whole lot more than that. This is going to be a multi-year rebuilding process and I doubt they ever get back to the consistent level they had for 20 years.
I think this stuff is hard to predict with any certainty even one year out, let alone long term. But they did pick up a number of solid guys in free agency, they'll have some veterans coming back who opted out, Cam should be more familiar with the team, coaches and offensive system, and so I am expecting they will be better this year than last year. How much better? TBD, and of course besides the Patriots taking a big step backward, the Bills have taken a big step forward, so even if the Pats are clearly a better team this year, a playoff slot could still be elusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football