Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:57 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Anyone going to watch tonight’s NFL Pro Bowl “flag football” game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 05:28 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I never watched it when it simulated an actual game. Before they went to flag football I stumbled on it a few years ago and at the snap the linemen basically stood up and all but shook the hands of the opponent. It was a joke then and it's more of a joke now, I have no idea why they are still playing this game.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:04 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Won't be watching the 2024 Pro Bowl.

Will be watching the Grammy Awards.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:13 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Pro bowl is a joke.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:17 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Pro bowl is a joke.
This.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:21 AM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
The Pro Bowl should have always been a flag football game. IMO, All-Star competitions are for the fans, entertainment, and a glamor opportunity for the players. They are not for players going all out. The players earned the right to relax and be in the spotlight for a weekend.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's the equivalence to watching BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS.

I wish they would simply announce who are the players that are Pro Bowlers and be done with it.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:50 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
The Pro Bowl should have always been a flag football game. IMO, All-Star competitions are for the fans, entertainment, and a glamor opportunity for the players. They are not for players going all out. The players earned the right to relax and be in the spotlight for a weekend.
The exception being baseball because except for not using up the pitcher it is hard to play at half intensity

Old 02-04-2024, 11:52 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
I never miss the Pro Bowl In fact, I am watching the pregame now. The girls are playing for a national championship. And they have good skills an are making the game interesting

I asked my dad who has watched more Pro Bowl games than I have or can remember. He said that yes, the game used to be competitive, but even then, it was NOT as competitive as a season game or playoff game. There always has been some "Holding back" on the hits and plays to prevent injuries, although more so in recent years.

In the 80s players started sitting out of the Pro Bowl due to injury risk. It was at that point that the game really dropped by double digit percent points in the intensity of the hits and tackles.

Most recently, before flag football, there was little to no blocking and light tackling. While in the 70s there was harder blocking and tackling, this was replaced by the act of a runner falling down when wrapped up, or a receiver being allowed to just make the score after the catch.

Also in the early days, a trip to the Pro Bowl had status for one to be a "Pro Bowler" and it meant a trip to Hawaii with the family, and many players back then could not afford that otherwise. Players just did not make as much as they do now. A trip to Hawaii was expensive then (as it is now, I found out) so being picked to the Pro Bowl was huge.

Nowadays, a trip to Orlando is nothing that any player could not afford. A month in the summer with the family at Disney Universal? Sure. No Problem

STILL The Pro Bowl held a very bittersweet memory for us growing up. It was always AFTER the Super Bowl, and it was fun but at the same time sad, for we knew that it would be months before football started again. And living in the middle of nowhere, in the lands of the Philistines, there was a huge vacuum left after football was gone from the Sunday/Monday ritual
SO the Pro Bowl was that one last second of desert from the banquet, that last scraping of banana pudding and chocolate cookies that would not be tasted again for almost 8 months.

It was a necessity for fans.

Now of course, we watch the Pro Bowl and the Super Bowl then wait a few months to be entertained by the CFL
Did I mention that we are going to Canada in October to the CFL?

Today I look for a repeat of Last Year's Manning vs Manning entertainment Lots of commentary, arguing with the refs Harlem Globetrotters style, lots of athleticism, lots of fan interaction and thanks to Peyton and Eli , a healthy dose of comedy and entertainment as well.

Oh and since the rain is letting up, steaks on the grill.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
College Senior Bowl is more interesting. I think they play actual football in that game...

I think the UFL would get higher ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football