Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The Bills swapped 1st round picks and gave up a first and fourth in the 2015 draft for Sammy and its not looking too smart now. Looks like he will be out for awhile and not 100% for perhaps the entire season. Chris Hogan, who we let walk to the Patriots, caught a TD pass and 2 others for 60 yards. This is why the Bills are perennial losers and the Pats perennial winners. There goes our downfield threat. The Pats were missing their HOF quarterback, 2 starting tackles, HOF tight end and they go on the road and beat one of the best teams in the NFL. Great teams find ways to win and bad teams find ways to lose. If we had hired a offensive head coach instead of Rex we would be in the playoffs by now IMHO. Our offense was boring, our franchise QB did not look like a franchise QB, the defense did ok but a loss is a loss and the Ravens are not that good. Another mediocre season and I AM TIRED OF THIS. We will be making excuses again and we will have another wasted season. I say clean house and get rid of the entire front office (except for the Pegulas) and get a seasoned football guy with a history of winning and start with a clean slate. EJ and Sammy, 3 first round picks and we have nothing to show.

Add broken foot to Sammy Watkins' growing list of NFL injuries - Buffalo Bills Blog- ESPN
I still question who our Qb would be if we signed a different coach. Would it be Tyrod? Osweiler? A rookie? EJ? I'm not sure we would be on our way to the playoffs either way.

Apparently Watkins is going to try to play through the pain. X-rays didn't show any damage in the foot. But it's just painful.

We will see how it goes. Jets have a great front seven, but poor secondary. Tyrod needs to air it out in this one. He needs to play with less fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

That said, the strategy of this team seems clear. Play a heavy ball control, small ball style offense, and try to win games on defense and with field position. It was ugly, it was painful to watch, and in the modern NFL, it looks like a heavily antiquated and outdated way to build a team to win.
The weird thing is the offense and Tyrod didn't play like that at all last season. Even out of the gate, against the Colts we had the long TD to Harvin. There were many games last year where Tyrod air it out. What was so different in this game that Tyrod felt he could air it out more than even 5 yards?

Tyrod has some serious explaining to do on the field in the coming weeks.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I still question who our Qb would be if we signed a different coach. Would it be Tyrod? Osweiler? A rookie? EJ? I'm not sure we would be on our way to the playoffs either way.

Apparently Watkins is going to try to play through the pain. X-rays didn't show any damage in the foot. But it's just painful.

We will see how it goes. Jets have a great front seven, but poor secondary. Tyrod needs to air it out in this one. He needs to play with less fear.
A good coach makes the best of the talent on the roster. I am not sold on our OC either. Having to win with "ground and pound" and defense is so boring, we long suffering fans deserve more than this. What good is an 80% Sammy with his injury history. We have made many, many mistakes with this team and the same front office is in place. Mr Pegula is a very smart man and he didn't pay 1.4 billion to watch this mess. Best to just blow things up and start over. Look what happened with the Redskins, the owner got a shrewd football guy in and hired a great GM and the team is heading up now. All we are doing now is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and making a million excuses for this team. The OL is already thin and Cordy re-injures his ankle.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
A good coach makes the best of the talent on the roster. I am not sold on our OC either. Having to win with "ground and pound" and defense is so boring, we long suffering fans deserve more than this. What good is an 80% Sammy with his injury history. We have made many, many mistakes with this team and the same front office is in place. Mr Pegula is a very smart man and he didn't pay 1.4 billion to watch this mess. Best to just blow things up and start over. Look what happened with the Redskins, the owner got a shrewd football guy in and hired a great GM and the team is heading up now. All we are doing now is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and making a million excuses for this team. The OL is already thin and Cordy re-injures his ankle.
I hear you Thundarr. I'm still willing to give Roman a chance. I think with a smart and capable QB, his system can succeed. How different is Roman's sytem than what Reid is now doing with Alex Smith in Kansas City. Roman aslo got success out of Smith, before anyone could. I think it is more on the QB. I doubt that there was nobody open down the field or that the best option was to throw it to the running back in the flat 4-5 straight times to start the game.

I thought Tyrod was capabale. So much so, that I bought my first Bills jersey ever, a Tyrod jersey. My only current jersey is a bruce smith jersey that I received as a gift back in Junior High, but it still fits. Well, it arrives in a couple days, and to be honest, I'm keeping the tags on it. If Taylor doesn't show me something in the next two games, it's getting returned.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:31 AM

I know what you mean about Roman but you can't discount the Harbaugh effect. Harbaugh was a great coach and made the team much better. I am not sure how much of the teams success was due to him and how much was to Roman. Just like a DC on the Pats, its Bill Belichick running the show. All those wasted timeouts, unnecessary penalties just makes me want to scream. The game plan was a snore with all those dump-offs, lets see what Tyrod can do. Throw it over the middle, air it out. His accuracy was not that good from what I watched and teams have had an off-season to prepare to contain his scrambling which is his main strength. You can bet the rest of our opponents will watch this game film and load up the box and with Sammy hurting its gonna be a long season. The bombs to Sammy made him look good and padded his stats, lets see what he can do without him or at reduced speed. This reminds me of JP and Lee Evans.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM

You haven't seen a Bills opener this bad since Joe Ferguson handed off to Terry Miller - BN Blitz

Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 PM

Regardless of yesterday's game. I don't see anyway how Tyrod could be THAT bad over the course of 16 games. It was Losman/Edwards kind of bad. But I don't think Losman/Edwards are Tyrod's floor. He did miss on a couple of short swing passes to the flat from what I remember. I'm not too worried about those because his accuracy was pretty good last year. More worried that he is going to turn into a QB that won't throw the ball unless his receiver has his man beat.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:42 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
I just don't know why they are still trying to make the ground and pound offense happen. It is never ever going to happen. Let me repeat:

That we had that uninspired a game plan in week freaking one really makes me nervous for this season. I could have handled a loss, but it never felt like we had a chance in a game that should have been very winnable.

Please stop running shady to the left on every single first down. He gets some impressive runs in for sure, but let that be a trick up your sleeve for a desperate situation, not your go-to play on first down.

I really only have a madden-level understanding of football, and I feel like I could have given them some pointers yesterday. It was certainly not the lights out debut we had last year where I absolutely felt like I was watching a playoff level team.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Mystery surrounds handling of Sammy Watkins

They are rushing Sammy back to save their jobs, very troubling

Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Hoping Bills can pull it together for Thursday. They have a tough schedule this season. I can see them winning over the Jets, Cardinals, Rams, and Jaguars this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football