Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
this is my impression of college ball, the hitting actually seems more intense. I see better fundementals and form tackles in college. The pros never tackle in practice anymore, even when practicing in pads, because they don't want anyone to get hurt b/c there's so much money in the game - as a result I really feel we don't see as much good ol fashioned hitting and tackling. And don't get me started on guys like reggie bush and so many others who just softly running out of bounds to avoid a hit - ought to be benched!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I believe that the golden age of football ended in the early 1960s. Oh yes, there were a lot of great teams and players since then but it still didn't have the aura of the golden age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Plus, the NFL is chalk-full of felons and criminals. I mean, we all make mistakes, but this is just ridiculous.... NFL Crimes NewsBlog

Anonther thing I can't stand is all these nice, cushy, cute, domed, temperature-regulated stadiums. Football is supposed to be played outside, in the elements, on REAL grass.

Yes, I agree with the posters above. I'm only 30 but I don't watch pro football due to the fact that it does not compare to the era of the 60's.

As far as I'm concerned, today's pro guys play football more out of greed then for the actual love of the game. Most, if not all of these guys, live in mansions and drive multiple Bentley's, so yes, they might as well ship all these teams to some private island were people like Bill Gates can go watch.

Also, I'm just sick of the players attitudes, we pay for them to play a game for a living but yet they walk around as if they are better then anybody else; with the exception of Pat Tillman(R.I.P) and a few others. Also, if you haven't noticed, many of these guys, as soon as they sign a contract, make a beeline to the night clubs and Hollywood only to later to be seen in embarrassing compromising situations. Gezz!! Take why put your life and career in jeopardy being out late at night in the streets with the thugs? Take your behind home to your wife and family and be thankful you don't have to punch a time-clock for a living!

Sff, gone are the days of playing a tough game, HARD, on a GRASS field, in the mud and rain the like a bunch of real men. The only modern player who played the game like is should as a pro was Ronnie Lott. I'm sure there are a few others, but Ronnie takes the top spot.

Last edited by Morphous01; 09-26-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...Which is why I sometimes wonder if it's a coincidence that football players often gravitate to professional wrestling when their careers are over. You don't see ex-baseball, basketball or hockey players making that move.
I think the fact many football players are big, powerfully built men and relatively few players in other sports are is a, pardon the pun, much bigger reason. Football also involve hitting and tackling other people, which is not dissimilar to wrestling. Other sports have action that is much different than pro wrestling.

FWIW, football players have gravitated towards wrestling for decades. A great example was Wahoo McDaniel, who started wrestling in the 1960's when he was still playing in the AFL.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
I read that some pro teams are having trouble filling all the seats in their stadiums. One reason given was besides the economy was poor performance of the players. I believe that because when I watch pro football it looks so sloppy compared to what it used to look like. Anyway, its been way overdone. Too commercial. Too big a deal made out of a silly game. Too much money given to players. I don't think its only me but I am sick of the whole sports scene.
They are having trouble finding fans rich enough to buy tickets. Like the rest of the top 1% they have no idea that $100 a ticket is beyond the average american.http://media2.myfoxdc.com//photo/2009/09/21/jerryjonespicksnose_20090921155908_320_240.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think the fact many football players are big, powerfully built men and relatively few players in other sports are is a, pardon the pun, much bigger reason. Football also involve hitting and tackling other people, which is not dissimilar to wrestling. Other sports have action that is much different than pro wrestling.
With the introduction of HGH, steroids, and all kinds of other designer drugs it is for this reason you see "big powerfully built men" in American football. This is also why the game has changed so much and why the average player is bigger and faster then 40 years ago.

Also, American "wresting" (if you want to call it that) is a J.O.K.E.! I much rather go to Mexico and watch there wrestlers; an I'm not a Chicano BTW.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They are having trouble finding fans rich enough to buy tickets. Like the rest of the top 1% they have no idea that $100 a ticket is beyond the average american.
That points up the problem pretty well. They don't actually care about fans any more. Once upon a time, yes. Today, no. Sponsors and advertisers are what the league cares about.

If it came down to the possibility of a stadium that was three-quarters empty, you can be sure of one thing: they'd "paper the house," giving away tickets so that when the TV cameras started rolling, that stadium would be full. Score that as follows: Appearance 8 (TD + two-point conversion), Fans 0.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:39 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Sff, gone are the days of playing a tough game, HARD, on a GRASS field, in the mud and rain the like a bunch of real men. The only modern player who played the game like is should as a pro was Ronnie Lott. I'm sure there are a few others, but Ronnie takes the top spot.
as a Packer fan everybody's always hyping up the games with the Bears and guess what, there's no rivalry. Maybe for the fans still, they hate each other more than the players do , but not for the players anymore. It's way overdone in the media, they're too busy golfing with each other in the offseason to hate one another.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
No, in fact it seems to be more popular than ever. Heck it's on ESPN and other news outlets almost everyday.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
If anything Id say football audiences are growing. They now have NFL packages for television and tons more fantasy football web sites than they use to have. Actually I think fantasy football is what is helping NFL football today. Its so much fun to play in a fantasy football league and learn new players. Not only that but when you are playing fantasy football you will actually tune into games that you may never have watched before.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Goodell is certainly doing his best to make it so

Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I read that some pro teams are having trouble filling all the seats in their stadiums. One reason given was besides the economy was poor performance of the players. I believe that because when I watch pro football it looks so sloppy compared to what it used to look like. Anyway, its been way overdone. Too commercial. Too big a deal made out of a silly game. Too much money given to players. I don't think its only me but I am sick of the whole sports scene.
Pro-football is in the best shape. However, if they lose the salary cap...then yes, they will start to decline.

The economy is hurting everyone, not shocking that football is bearing some pain. As far as money goes, those guys have short careers. Baseball and basketball players get more money and have longer careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football