Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,856 times

Advertisements

Gov. Schwarzenegger signs bill to give L.A. stadium exemption
Oct. 22, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

INDUSTRY, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Thursday he had signed a bill allowing the construction of a 75,000-seat stadium that developers hope will lure an NFL team back to the Los Angeles area.

Schwarzenegger said he signed the environmental exemption bill last week but saved the announcement for a press conference in Industry, where the stadium would be built about 15 miles east of Los Angeles...

... Majestic Realty Co. is heading the stadium project after helping develop Staples Center, the downtown Los Angeles home of the NBA's Lakers and Clippers and the NHL's Kings.

Majestic has targeted seven teams as candidates to move to the Los Angeles area: the Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers.

Gov. Schwarzenegger signs bill to give L.A. stadium exemption - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
So which teams will feel the heat...Jacksonville, Minnesota, New Orleans, San Diego, or even Oakland? As a Viking fan I'm worried the "build me a stadium or we move" pimping is about to go into high gear.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
So which teams will feel the heat...Jacksonville, Minnesota, New Orleans, San Diego, or even Oakland? As a Viking fan I'm worried the "build me a stadium or we move" pimping is about to go into high gear.
It already has.

KSTP TV ( Minneapolis ) is reporting on this and already politicians are saying we must find a way to build a new stadium.

I believe the Viking's lease is up after next year.

I also believe signing Bret Favre was a way to put more preasure for a new stadium

Old 10-22-2009, 07:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
They could find a way to keep them here but it would likely involve one of two scenarios...

1) Financing 2/3 of a new stadium though some form of tax funding. That likely wouldn't work since the amount of funding would likely require a statewide participation. The required participation of the out-state legislators would be a tough sell to their constituents.

2) Funding the stadium through state sponsored gaming operations. That seemingly lucrative option runs into the considerable lobbying (political contributions) opposition presented by the current monopoly of the Tribal Indian organizations. Pretty smelly relationship.

It real boils down to the perceived reception the politicians expect from the voters. As simplistic as it may sound, a deep run into the playoffs would likely generate the momentum to at least get a legitimate dialogue started.

Wouldn't be the 1st time we lost a team however. At least we'll have a nice light-rail system.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The Bills need to be moved to North America's 4th largest city (Toronto). The Colts would be the most logical team to move because they are close to Chicago, Cincinnati, and St Louis; but they haven't shown any interest in movin/

I'd say move the Rams back to LA

Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Toronto already has its own, the oldest gridiron football club in the world.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,745 times
They gotta move one of the 3 Cali teams. they cant move a team from the east out west. California would have 4 count it 4 teams then! no way would Cali have 4 teams. Oakland or the 49ers gotta move. Why. they suck. Yeah 49ers are good this year, but so was Cleveland a couple years ago, but they sucked next season. Chargers are better than Oakland and the 49ers. They aint moving. Oakland. Plain out. They suck.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Bills need to be moved to North America's 4th largest city (Toronto). The Colts would be the most logical team to move because they are close to Chicago, Cincinnati, and St Louis; but they haven't shown any interest in movin/

I'd say move the Rams back to LA
Actually, Toronto's 5th but I'm all proper about that since I love geography lol.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
move the Rams back to Cleveland
move the Cardinals back to Chicago
move the Colts back to Baltimore
move the Browns (v.2) to LA
move the Browns (v.1) to Toronto
move the Eskimos back to Duluth
move the Lakers back to Minneapolis

Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
I have been a Viking fan since 1965, but if they are going to be babies about a stadium (The Metrodome is not fancy, but is perfectly adequate), I say let them go. We have too many other pressing issues in the area (roads, the poor, etc.) that need the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football