Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Heart Rate Monitor

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I had a minor heart attack three years ago. While it left me a little unsure about activities in general, I realized that it was necessary to keep up an exercise program. I have jogged for years, but have now relegated myself to walking fast instead.

Heart rate monitors aren't that cheap, so I bought the Garmin 305 Monitor because of the $190 price. The GPS feature calculates the distance you go as well as the speed you travel. This would be a handy feature for someone in training for distance running or other types of competition. For me its just good to know how far I have gone on each trip.

The transmitter for the heart rate is through a padded chest strap. There is an alarm to let me know if I am going faster or slower than my intended speed. This is handy for someone like me who needs to limit how much exertion I put forth. There is also an alarm that lets me know when I've reached a distance that I had planned to go.

Of course, the main reason I got the Garmin was to keep tabs on my heart and be sure that I didn't hurt myself. For this and the other reasons, I think this is an ideal product for this use.

The battery is rechargeable and it's supposed to last for a full ten hours on a charge. I have never used the monitor long enough to run the battery completely down.

For the person who wants to use a treadmill in home instead of actually walking or running, there is a foot pad that can give the same results of distance and speed without the use of the GPS feature. I have had no problems with the heart monitor yet, and give it high marks should you need to buy one of your own.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews