Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector

garrett-ace-250-metal-detector photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

My grandmother gave me this metal detector as a gift, knowing that I wanted a metal detector to go through the backyard of my new house. The house is an original Victorian and I was eager to see what I could dig up.

My grandmother has another Garret metal detector, the Ace 150. She likes the design but doesn't like that it will detect valueless metals like aluminum and iron. I haven't had that problem with my device. In fact, I've found a great deal of (semi) valuable objects with very few duds.

I like that the actual physical scanner is pretty big but not so big it adds weight. My grandmother had a bit of trouble understanding the display on her device, but I had no trouble with mine. I found it intuitive and easy after reading the instruction book. At first it's slightly difficult to correctly use the pin-point feature because it requires a certain kind of sweeping to hold onto the tone after it starts. But once that particular movement was figured out, I found that feature to be one of the most useful of the device.

There is one big thing I think is not ideal. First, the depth gauge isn't terribly accurate after the first five inches or so. In my yard, which has been used for more than a hundred years, many things are deeper than that. It's not a huge problem, but after five inches all the dirt has to be sifted through and scanned again in case the object is small or hard to see.

Overall I think the device is good, especially for the price. My grandmother agrees and prefers my device over her less expensive Garrett model. It's not as good a super-expensive device and the things that make really high quality metal detectors great (metal identification, accurate depth gauge, coin finder) are present here, but not as great as machines in a higher price range. But for a beginner hobbyist like me, this is pretty good.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews